300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strong Legs = Strong Brain (study)

Studies associating regular exercise with cognitive health and reduce rate of decline are many. What makes this a unique and powerful study was they followed a large group of twins for a decade. The results of studies such as this are far more robust than simple correlational studies. This is a slam dunk kinda study in my view for you non scientists.

Fitter legs linked to a 'fitter' brain

Researchers at King's College London have found that muscle fitness as measured by power in the legs is strongly associated with an improved rate of ageing in the brain.

The findings, published in Gerontology, suggest that simple interventions, such as increased levels of walking, targeted to improve leg power in the long term may have an impact on healthy cognitive ageing. The research was funded jointly by the NIHR and the Wellcome Trust.

Scientists studied a sample of 324 healthy female twins from the TwinsUK volunteer registry over a ten-year period from 1999, measuring various health and lifestyle predictors. Researchers were, therefore, able to control for genetic factors affecting changes in cognitive function.

Thinking, learning and memory were measured at both the beginning and end of the study and it was found that leg power was a better predictor of cognitive change than any other lifestyle factors tested. Generally, the twin who had more leg power at the start of the study sustained their cognition better and had fewer brain changes associated with ageing measured after ten years.

Previous studies have shown that physical activity can have a beneficial effect on the ageing of the brain with animal studies showing that exercising muscles releases hormones that can encourage nerve cells to grow.

The study is thought to be the first that shows a specific link between power (i.e. force and speed) in the lower limbs and cognitive change in a normal, healthy population. As the legs contain the largest muscles they are of particular relevance for muscular fitness and can be exercised easily through various habitual activities such as simply standing or walking.
    Fitter legs linked to a 'fitter' brain

Dr Claire Steves, lead author and Senior Lecturer in Twin Research at King's College London and King's College Hospital said: 'Everyone wants to know how best to keep their brain fit as they age. Identical twins are a useful comparison, as they share many factors, such as genetics and early life, which we can't change in adulthood.

'It's compelling to see such differences in cognition and brain structure in identical twins, who had different leg power ten years before. It suggests that simple lifestyle changes to boost our physical activity may help to keep us both mentally and physically healthy.'

However, more studies are needed to better understand the relationships between measures of fitness such as leg power or aerobic capacity and brain changes, and the specific cause-and-effect of physical activity on brain structure and cognition. The mechanisms behind this association are not yet clear and could involve other factors such as age-related changes in immune function, blood circulation or nerve signaling.

The study only assessed female participants with an average age at baseline of 55 (range 43–73), so further studies would also be needed to establish whether these findings can be generalized to older or male populations.

Source:

Claire J. Steves et al. Kicking Back Cognitive Ageing: Leg Power Predicts Cognitive Ageing after Ten Years in Older Female Twins, Gerontology (2015). DOI: 10.1159/000441029
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Nice that they used twins to reduce the genetic variable input. Ineresting that they chose to measure women's leg strength. I would suppose that greater muscular tonicity in the legs is assistive of the heart in its resupplying oxygenated blood to the brain.

Comment

Brink,

Whenever you post it is a catch-22. I love reading all your workout data and studies and such, but it reminds me that I have to actually go work out

REINSTATE THE TRIG
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
      Your logic defies logic
      Originally posted by Rudy8116
      Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
      Originally posted by Michigan
      Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
      Originally posted by TheTick
      A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
      This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
      Originally posted by 02paul09
      Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Comment

Originally posted by BiteThePullet View Post
        Brink,

Whenever you post it is a catch-22. I love reading all your workout data and studies and such, but it reminds me that I have to actually go work out

That's not a Catch 22, that's a "I don't wanna exercise and eat better" mental response.
        - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
          That's not a Catch 22, that's a "I don't wanna exercise and eat better" mental response.
          I dunooooo......pretty sure I am allergic to exercise [emoji16]

You're right, I just need to kick soda, and start running.

Lots and lots of running

Sent via Shine Box
          REINSTATE THE TRIG
          Your logic defies logic
          Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
          This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.

Comment

Originally posted by BiteThePullet View Post
            I dunooooo......pretty sure I am allergic to exercise [emoji16]

You're right, I just need to kick soda, and start running.

Lots and lots of running

Sent via Shine Box
            Meh, running is overrated man. Resistance training wins hands down if time is limited. Switch to diet soda. Baby steps man, baby steps.
            - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
              Meh, running is overrated man. Resistance training wins hands down if time is limited. Switch to diet soda. Baby steps man, baby steps.
              Got it. Resistance training, diet soda.

Is diet soda that much better? I need to cut down on abdominal fat - would this help (chemicals and all)?

How does this workout layout look? 12 weeks in length.

http://lvmpd.com/Portals/0/ProtectTh...ing%20Plan.pdf

Any suggestions for modification?
              REINSTATE THE TRIG
              Your logic defies logic

Comment

if you want a strong brain, i think you should treat them well, use more things to boost its function so that i can work more smoothly. Evaluation of brain regional metabolic activity with positron emission tomography in ten healthy women after the lavender odor stimulus demonstrated neuronal enhancement in the orbitofrontal, posterior cingulate gyrus, brainstem, thalamus, and cerebellum and reduction of activity in the pre/post-central gyrus and frontal eye field. Cortical perfusion increment after sensorial stimulation with lavender was evaluated by single photon emission computed tomography in ten healthy adults. A significant activation was observed in gyrus rectus, orbitofrontal cortex, and superior temporal cortical areas. A slight perfusion increase also existed in middle temporal and parieto-occipital regions [65]. Lavender odor was delivered via the orthonasal (odor perceived through the nose) and retronasal (odor perceived through the mouth) routes and brain response was measured with fMRI in 20 subjects. In addition to the activation at the base of the central sulcus by lavender, retronasal stimulation with odor resulted in a significant peak in the ventral insula compare to orthonasal application. In contrast, orthonasal application yielded a peak in the right caudate nucleus that approached significance in comparison to retronasal way. See more on these post:
                http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/lavender
                https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3612440/
                https://wikihomenutrition.com/lavender-health-benefits/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9906 users online. 388 members and 9518 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X