300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push-ups

Hi Everyone! I'm starting the academy in January and I'm really excited but there is one concern I have. I'm am a very physically fit person (I competed in varsity swimming D-I collegiately (sp?)), and even after I finished that I pretty much stayed in good shape. However, one thing that I have NEVER been able to do, even at my peak fitness, is to be able to do push-ups and pullups. I know they focus on push-ups a lot in PT and testing for depts. Does anyone have any advice to help me out?

Re: Push-ups

Originally posted by AKwannabe
    I know they focus on push-ups a lot in PT and testing for depts. Does anyone have any advice to help me out?
    AK - Most departments require female candidates to perform pushups on their knees (double check that this is the case for your particular dept.) - and at the same time I would find out exactly what the pass standard is for your dept/for your gender and age group (depending on what the case may be). It's good to know beforehand what number you're aiming for.

Regular weight training (focusing on upper body - chest, upper back, arms and shoulders) will aid in overall strength development, as well as helping you when you perform pushups.

But really, in order to get BETTER at doing pushups....you need to do pushups. Do 'em 4-5 times a week (a couple of sets each time). A set can be 20 - 12 - 8 - it can be 4 (depending on your abilities right now). It doesn't really matter. The whole point is that wherever you are NOW in terms of your abilities, if you perform pushups consistantly and regularly you WILL improve upon your current performance.

Some pointers re: form. Women have a tendancy to do the following:

1. stick their butts in the air
    2. round out the shoulders
    3. arch their backs and allow their abdominals to sag

Re: #1 women do this because generally they have weak upper bodies, and unconsciously attempt to move the stress away from their upper bodies and down towards their stronger hip area. Very likely your fitness tester will not allow you to do this (I don't) and will correct your form - so you may as well learn to do them correctly now during training.

Re: #2 & #3 women do these things also because of weak supporting muscles. You want to try and keep your body in a straight line (keep your head straight, back straight, abdominals tight).

Just know the standard you have to meet, practice them regularly - and I have said it before - if you prepare, by the time you get to your testing day you should have a pretty good idea of how you will do in EACH component of the test.

Good luck!

Comment

Suggestion:
      Find out what your goal is. Divide that by half. Now take that number and make it the number of pushups you do for the following exercises. You will do three sets. One set regular arm pushups- shoulder width apart. Second set, wide arm PU's - arms wide out. And the last set, Diamond PU's.

To do Diamonds, put your hands close together, have your index fingers and your thumbs touching, making the diamond. Do those every night. Just those three sets. When they get easy, up it by adding more PU's per differant PU style.

These three sets work all the muscles that are associated with PU's.
      You will be albe to do well in the academy if you work the above sets. Seen it work, personally.
      "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
      Thomas Paine

Comment

When I was in the academy We formed a group that would workout on our lunch break to help those who may be weaker. I found that those who a weaker tend not to keep their hands inline with their shoulders. some put their hands ahead of their head or they keep their hands to far underneath them. previous replies raise good pointers and believe me I'm no expert but ONE pointer I may add is that try doing as many as you can and then when you can't do anymore drop to your knees and keep going, but always keep good form.... I am a tv junkie, but when the commercials come on I'll do push-ups or sit-ups and alternate with each break.

BEST OF LUCK AND BE SAFE

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Start doing pushups as often as you can before the academy starts. Try 2 or 3 sets a day and try to increase the number of reps...

FWIW, the following PDF file explains how my state (MI) requires pushups to be done. Your state's requirements may vary, so use it only as a guideline:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Push-Ups_48115_7.pdf

G'luck
            Officer Down Memorial Page

Comment

Well, I'm up to doing 5 straight-perfect-push-ups followed by 10 girlie push ups, three times a day. Good enough?? haha, yeah right.

I know...I'm a wimp in that area but I will out-do the guys. I hope to be able to do at least 20 perfect push ups three times a day before I start the academy gosh darn it.

Thanks for the input guys/gals

Comment

Well, I started doing push ups at the end of grade 10. I could only do 15, however I decided to do as many push ups I could on every second day. If you do push ups regularly than you can do more and more push ups. I would say always push yourself to the limit, and never take long break before doing push ups, always have yourself doing a routine. You'll be doing alot of push ups in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by AKwannabe
                  Well, I'm up to doing 5 straight-perfect-push-ups followed by 10 girlie push ups, three times a day. Good enough?? haha, yeah right.

I know...I'm a wimp in that area but I will out-do the guys. I hope to be able to do at least 20 perfect push ups three times a day before I start the academy gosh darn it.

Thanks for the input guys/gals

Congrats! Keep up the hard work and continue doing push-ups on a daily basis; it will pay off when it comes time to do the agility tests!

I'm sure you'll be able to out do some of the guys, but just don't embarrass them too badly!
                  Officer Down Memorial Page

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19093 users online. 495 members and 18598 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X