Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL....actually...I ran college track....I run as little as possible now days..

Being bike patrol I go for rides all the time. I love bouncing off of trees in the TX hillcountry!
    If you knew you would fight for you life tomorrow, would you change the way you trained today?

Comment

Pedalin' Cop - two experiences with trees this past year:

1. First adventure race last spring - doing some pretty hairy trails in North Carolina, when I took a dive down a ravine. As I put it in a race report I wrote, "I fell about 10 feet down a ravine, a tree broke my fall and my bike landed on top of me" (Yeah - I paid good money to do that!! )

2. Adventure race this past November on the TN-KY border. We were in the bottom third of the teams about half way through the race, but had been trying like a son-of-a-gun to keep up with one team that was just ahead of us (but we thought we could take 'em, and then hopefully start picking off other teams through the last half of the race).

We DID pass them on a hill, took off down another trail at the top of the hill, and continued on. We knew that there was a turnaround a few miles up ahead, and figured we would run into the guys on the way back. By the time we got BACK to the top of the hill we started to get worried, because these guys were nowhere in sight.

We waited for a few minutes and sure enough they finally show up (they're all walking their bikes at this point) - and one of them looks VERY happy (dilated pupils, goofy grin, slight lack of co-ordination, short term memory was gone - didn't remember the race, where he was, why he was out in the woods etc.).

As one of his team-mates said, "a tree jumped out in front of him on the trail and he hit it with his head." We all figured concussion, talked about what to do to keep him safe, and my team continued on to the next checkpoint (and sent help back to haul him out of the woods).

They found him OK - and we came 9th out of 23 teams.

Edited - because I just thought of another tree story. Didn't happen to me, but rather to a woman adventure racer I know. She fell asleep while running, and ran straight into a tree. True story.
      Last edited by krj; 01-15-2004, 04:32 PM.

Comment

When? (when I remember, but I try 3 times a week)

Where? (Lebanon Valley college baby!)

Why!? (Because when I got out of the Navy I weighed 280lbs at 6 foot 4)

I was discharged August 08th of 2003 at a nice 280lbs of nothing but fat. Using good old lifting, running, and eating right (6 times a day if I can remember!). I am now a solid 236lbs.

My goal is to be around 215-220 of rock hard muscle by July of this year.

note: time of this post is Febuary 2st. That's right folks I've lost almost 50lbs in 6 months.

Comment

Nice Weight Loss!!!

I graduated college last may. My weight was 330. Police Academy started in July. I was down to 310 at that time.

Yesterday, I weighed myself and tipped the scale at 265. My goal weight is 220. Slowly but surely, I am getting there.

I believe the running was the contributing factor to the weight loss. I wasn't very active during my college days. Once I started getting ready for the academy, the runs started and haven't stopped.

I did hit a plateau at 275 but I recently changed up my routine. I had been training for our mile and a half run. Now, I am training to run 5K's in the spring. I believe that the increased effort in my training (slightly slower run time with a longer period of running) pushed my metabolism in the right direction.

Send me an e-mail if you ever want to run. I'm about an hour away from LVC.

Matt

Comment

NO MILE WASTED
            By: Joe Henderson
            Runners World Magazine (March 2004)
            (A bit long)

Ask me about my normal daily run, and the answer won't impress you. Tell me you run longer and faster, and I'll agree; most runners do. But try to tell me that my runs lack "quality" or, worse, are "junk miles" and you'll get an argument. Here it comes.

For as long as I've been running easily and writing its praises, I've heard how these runs waste time and effort. That was the knock on my first book, Long Slow Distance, which was published 35 years ago. One critic with a good memory recently called to comment on a column of mine. The stranger said, "I'm happy to see your metamorphosis from the person who promoted long slow distance (LSD) to admitting now that you were wrong."

Wrong? Did I say that?

"I tried LSD and so did many others who ran with me at the time," the caller continued. "All it did was make us long slow racers."

Then came his unkindest cut of all: "LSD was a cancer that hurt the sport for a long time, and you were the person who spread it. I praise you now for having the nerve to renounce it."

Renounce? Hardly!

I only retired the term LSD. It was misleading because it invited runners to stack up the highest possible mileage at the slowest possible pace. Too much distance can do as much damage as too much speed. I substituted less catchy but more accurate words such as "gentle" and "relaxed".

My shift to a slower gear wasn't meant to improve my racing but to escape the ravages of excessive speed training. The other runners featured in Long, Slow Distance did the same. To our surprise, all six of us improved our times anyway.

Our improvement didn't come from any inherent magic in slower running but because this was easier running. It let us freshen up between harder efforts instead of staying forever tired.

I was slow to see that the slower running was less a training system than a recovery system. We raced better by staying healthier and happier, not by training harder.

One way to judge a running program's success is by the eventual results it confers. When runners aim for the biggest racing payoffs, no training is too hard and no sacrifice too great.

But another way to judge a program's value is to ask yourself: Would I still run this way even if there were no racing payoff? The runners who followed LSD didn't keep racing better indefinately; no-one does. But we kept running, and keep doing it, in the same relaxed way as before.

You can view your runs as either vocational or recreational, as a job or a hobby, as work or play. "Serious" training falls on the left side of those word-pairings. My running tilts to the right.

I've spent a running/writing lifetime trying not to use certain words, because how we describe an activity shapes our view of it. One such word is "work". Another is its cousin "workout." Working implies doing something because you must, but don't welcome the job. It suggests putting up with a distasteful task to earn an eventual reward.

But what if that payday never came, or if it was smaller than expected.? Would you feel that all of your time and effort had gone to waste?

Running isn't my second job. No one pays me or forces me to practice this hobby. It's my choice, and I choose to find my rewards in the maximum number of runs.

To me the real "junk miles" are those run reluctantly today, only as an investment in a better tomorrow. This feels like counting the hours until quitting time, the days until the weekend, the weeks until vacation the years until retirement. Always working towards a distant finish line may mean missing the fun in being here now.

Running can give its rewards instantly and regularly. Ask me about my runs, and I'll tell you they're nothing special - except in the quiet ways that all runs are special. Any run anyone wanted to take, and feels happy for having taken, is never wasted.

Comment

For the past four weeks I've taken my own advice and slowed down my runs. I now do about three easy/moderate runs for every fast/hard one that I do. Well I just did a slight sub race pace 1.5 mile the other day and took 15 seconds off my most recent average. In actuality is 30 seconds as I was a little burne dout to start with.

Comment

Yeah JRT - I think I'm gonna start taking my own advice too. My stress level has gone up a lot in the last couple of weeks, and doesn't look like it will improve in the immediate future. I haven't worked out (no running, swimming, lifting or biking) in 10 days - mostly because my head is "tired".

I'm forcing myself to run tonight. No timing the run, no recording the distance, none of that crap. Just going out as far or as short as I can muster.
                Last edited by krj; 02-03-2004, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Slwoing down is the hardest part. I'm way too A type and am always trying to go faster. I can only imagine how fast I would have been by now.....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14582 users online. 406 members and 14176 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X