300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atkins Diet

OK - I would like to preface this post by saying that I do NOT want to revive the great Atkins Diet Debate of 2003.

For those who are currently eating a high fat/high protein/low carbohydrate diet (such as Atkins), I would encourage you to check out the following site:

http://www.atkinsdietalert.org/consumer.html

It is the site for a non-profit physician-run organization, Physicians Committee For Responsible Medicine.

There is a lot of really good information on this site including health risks, nutritional analysis of the diet (at all stages), misconceptions re: the diet, and deceptive advertising practices re: this diet. The site also contains opinions on this diet from the American Heart Association, American Kidney Fund and the American Dietetic Association.

There is also a registry where people who have been on this diet and have experienced negative medical side effects can register and make their conditions known.

The PCRM has been in the news recently because of their:

1. Claims that of those who have provided information on their registry - 42% reported loss of energy, 31% reported difficulty concentrating, 22% reported kidney problems, 20% reported heart related problems. There are also 2 reported deaths that the PCRM believes are directly related to the use of the Atkins Diet

2. Request to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to investigate these deaths, and to investigate (through clinical studies) the long-term effects of consuming a high fat/high protein/low carbohydrate diet.

For those who are on the Atkins Diet (or something similar), I would just encourage you to read this information.
    Last edited by krj; 11-24-2003, 12:49 PM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18125 users online. 492 members and 17633 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X