Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workout plan?

Hello everyone!

I am starting an unstructured fitness class at my college. I have minimal understanding about how to plan my exercise, and was wondering if any experienced members could help me sculpt a routine that is focused directly to what I understand the primary needs of LE are:

-Cardio-vascular endurance
    -Core/leg strength
    -Arm strength

I was thinking along the lines of 1hr sessions, 4x a week - the below cycle, repeated once per week

(minutes - exercise) (reps/sets)

Monday
    5 - stretching
    10 - cycle machine
    15 - treadmill
    10/10 - bench press
    10/5 - shoulder press
    5 - stretching

Wednesday

5 - stretching
    15 - treadmill
    10 - free exercise (burpies, push ups, planks, etc.)
    15 - treadmill
    10 - free exercise
    5 - stretching

Friday

5 - stretching
    10/10 - dip machine
    10/15 - ab crunch machine
    [empty - forarms? biceps? shoulders?]
    [empty - calves? biceps? laterals?]
    5 - stretching

Saturday

10 - stretching
    3 mile treadmill run
    5 - stretching

Any and all advice on what I should change & why would be appreciated . Thank you!
    REINSTATE THE TRIG
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    Your logic defies logic
    Originally posted by Rudy8116
    Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
    Originally posted by Michigan
    Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
    Originally posted by TheTick
    A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
    This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
    Originally posted by 02paul09
    Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

Honestly there is nothing all that special about the job and its requirements. You need to be strong and fit and stay that way over a very long period of time. There is nothing in what you posted relating to leg strength or core stability and or strength. You do realize that right?

Cardio is not a strength enhancing endevour. Crunch machines are un-natural and you will not find a situation in life when you stabilize your self by bending in half. You could say shoulder presses are good for your core but they can be seated or standing. So it could go either way and standing are usually called standing or military presses as such so I am inclined to believe you are sitting, losing the core stabilizing portion of the movement.

I guess the planks and pushups are "ok" for core stabilization but we wear a belt and heavy equipment for extended periods of time and need a lot more core support for the back than a desk jockey or house wife. You don't need razor abs you need a real functional group of core musculature.

You need to look into a real training routine and start out with fewer options than each address a specific component of what you desire to attain, and ditch any that don't address and specific need or shortcoming. You are not going to be chasing a criminal on foot for 3 miles.
    Now if you just like running go for it. But, a foot pursuit is usually a short to medium length sprint or fast run followed by an intense fight for control and custody of an opponent. So a leisurely long distance jog is not getting you any closer to ready for that, not in the least.

Look into good gpp options a few days a week and throw in some compound lifts that add strength and enhance overall performance. Most likely centered around, oh I don't know maybe, Squats, Deadlifts, Benches, and Overhead Presses. I would personally throw in lots of pull ups and rowing excercises, but that is just me. You have several months to years of work on those lifts before you need to worry about direct work on arms and such frivolity. I recommend a program like "Starting Strenght" or another similair set up for the lifting.

GPP is just that it can be the burpees, rope skipping, sled pushing or pulling, hill sprinting or anything else that is mindless and has a high risk to reward return for effort put in.

Comment

!

Originally posted by NORCOCOP View Post
      Honestly there is nothing all that special about the job and its requirements. You need to be strong and fit and stay that way over a very long period of time. There is nothing in what you posted relating to leg strength or core stability and or strength. You do realize that right?

Cardio is not a strength enhancing endevour. Crunch machines are un-natural and you will not find a situation in life when you stabilize your self by bending in half. You could say shoulder presses are good for your core but they can be seated or standing. So it could go either way and standing are usually called standing or military presses as such so I am inclined to believe you are sitting, losing the core stabilizing portion of the movement.

I guess the planks and pushups are "ok" for core stabilization but we wear a belt and heavy equipment for extended periods of time and need a lot more core support for the back than a desk jockey or house wife. You don't need razor abs you need a real functional group of core musculature.

You need to look into a real training routine and start out with fewer options than each address a specific component of what you desire to attain, and ditch any that don't address and specific need or shortcoming. You are not going to be chasing a criminal on foot for 3 miles.
      Now if you just like running go for it. But, a foot pursuit is usually a short to medium length sprint or fast run followed by an intense fight for control and custody of an opponent. So a leisurely long distance jog is not getting you any closer to ready for that, not in the least.

Look into good gpp options a few days a week and throw in some compound lifts that add strength and enhance overall performance. Most likely centered around, oh I don't know maybe, Squats, Deadlifts, Benches, and Overhead Presses. I would personally throw in lots of pull ups and rowing excercises, but that is just me. You have several months to years of work on those lifts before you need to worry about direct work on arms and such frivolity. I recommend a program like "Starting Strenght" or another similar set up for the lifting.

GPP is just that it can be the burpees, rope skipping, sled pushing or pulling, hill sprinting or anything else that is mindless and has a high risk to reward return for effort put in.
      Welp, shows how much I know

Thank you very much for the advice - as I am sure you determined, I really don't know what I am doing, but I will look into the Starting Strength program, and apply as much as I can from it.

The reason I put cardio, specifically running, into the academy is to build respiratory/cardiovascular endurance for two purposes: short term, my martial art, long term, the academy. I detest it with a passion, but figured that since it is an activity commonly undertaken in the academy, it is something I should prepare for. Can never start too early, right?

Thanks again!
      REINSTATE THE TRIG
      Your logic defies logic
      Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
      This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.

Comment

https://www.defrancostraining.com/as...cefiremen.html

Http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...rds-part1.html

Here's some reading material to help you set up a strength routine.

Comment

My week looks like this:
          Monday: judo practice
          Tuesday: hill sprints/core work
          Wednesday: upperbody strength work
          Thursday: off
          Friday: long run/core work
          Saturday: upperbody repetition work
          Sunday: hill sprints/core work

I've had back problems and no matter what I do, I can't seem to do deadlifts or squats without my back hurting. I allow the hill sprints to work leg strength and power. If I didn't have the lower back issues, I'd have a lower body strength day in place of the longer run.

Comment

Check out pretty much everything Will Brink posts. Check out his website and, if you have Facebook, follow him on Facebook. He definitely knows his shyt.
            Originally posted by RSGSRT
            We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
            Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

For an "easy" way to get in shape with functional strength: Insanity.

I wouldn't necessarily do it 6 days a week which *** MAY *** lead to overtraining/ joint issues (from impacts), but it will kick your ***.
              +1

Be especially careful doing it if you have joint issues. But it is an awesome workout.
              Originally posted by RSGSRT
              We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
              Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                +1

Be especially careful doing it if you have joint issues. But it is an awesome workout.
                I like this plan...I will plan on doing an hour, everyday, Mon - Fri. I do have joint issues, from martial arts, in my knees and lower back. However, I have had to deal with it for a while, so I think I know when to stop.

I have been looking at Will Brink's stuff - very impressive. I like the idea of "functional range training", just wish I had the space to do it. Although, I will be incorporating most of this, or as much as possible, into my routine.

Went to the gym for the first time yesterday and had to sit in the parking lot for a good 15 minutes because I was too sore to drive. One thing I noticed though, was that I went without a plan, and found myself wandering around aimlessly, drifting between mostly upperbody machines.
                REINSTATE THE TRIG
                Your logic defies logic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5736 users online. 314 members and 5422 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X