300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for thoughts on current fitness program

I am currently in the hiring process for a department and am trying hard to make sure that I am as fit as I can be if/when I get to the academy. I was wondering if there are any changes anybody thinks I should make or keep the course I am on.

Little info about me. I work Mon-Fri 8-5 and am taking 9 credits in college. I am married with 5 kids (1 baby and 4 step kids). I have a gym membership that I picked up about 1.5-2 months ago.

Currently I use my 1 hour lunch break for my exercise and 2-3 nights a week, I go to the gym.

My daily lunch workout is as follows:
    Run to the park thats about .4 miles from my office. I then do,
    3-4 x 25 pushups
    3-4 x 25 situps
    3-4 x 25 nose in the ring
    3-4 x 25 leg lifts
    3-4 x 20 4-count jumping jacks
    3-4 x 15 4-count mountain climbers
    3-4 x 15 4-count burpees
    3-4 x 5 pullups (increasing this # as I am able to)
    2.5 mile run at ~8 minute pace (trying to go faster every time)

Total distance counting warmup is about 3.1 miles (use GPS watch for tracking). I can do 4 sets of everything, the warmup and the run in under 52 minutes. I do this workout 4-5 days a week (mon-fri but take wednesday off if needed).

On 2-3 nights a week, I go to the gym and do an HIIT workout that takes about 10 minutes and do some bicep curls, dumbell press, rows, pullups (if i have any gas left), dips and 1 mile of treadmill (1/2 mile before and after). I don't go terribly heavy but keep my heart rate elevated as I want to be able to do my calisthenics the next day. If I go to the gym on Friday, I go harder because I take the weekend off. My workouts are generally 3x8.

TL: DR
    I'm looking for thoughts as to whether there are aspects of this that I should change that will benefit me. I will note that I am planning on changing my burpees to 6-count (adding in pushups) next week.

Thanks ahead of time for any reaponses.
    Last edited by adoragon; 01-19-2015, 04:49 PM.

I don't have any issues with your routine. The academy is primarily running, pushups and ab work.
    Personally, I bought Ross Enamait's 'Never Gymless' and followed the sample 50 day plan. I did a lot less running than you and made it through the academy with no problems.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Judoka. I guess I'll keep on keepin on and see how everything goes.

Comment

52 minute workout during your hour lunch? What about a shower??
        Originally posted by RSGSRT
        We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
        Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Only shower is at home so I quickly paper towel offf and get back to work. Lol

Comment

I hope you actually eat something at work. Proper nutrition is more important than your actual workout. Without giving your muscles fuel, you can be doing more harm than good.

Comment

I eat after I get back. I eat while I'm working. My lunch is the same almost everyday: PBJ, 2 apples, 3 carrots, 1 orange. Sometimes I have protein powder, but that is usually saved for when I go to the gym after work.

Comment

I am sure it varies from academy to academy, but from what I have seen in NY academies, it's no BUDs training. I don't consider myself a runner (I am more into weight training and total fitness) but at my 6:40ish 5k pace one of my friends told me I would have been one of the fastest runners in his acad. I know friends who went into the academy with beer bellies and didn't work out a day in their life yet made it through just fine. They didn't come out olympic athletes either, just able to run a mile or two at a reasonable pace. Not trying to downplay it, just saying by preparing you seem to be doing a lot more than a lot of other people do, so I wouldn't be worried at all.

I would be more worried about stretching, staying flexible and not pushing yourself to the point where you risk injury before the acad or build up a repetitive stress injury waiting to happen IN the acad. If you go to the acad in half decent shape, the instructors will take you from there and you'll improve just from doing the work every day. Again, at least from what I have seen academies here do in their PT, it's not something that somebody who is actively and consistently excercising should worry about. The people who sit around and eat crappy will be in for a rude awakening.

Keep in mind even if you're an olympic athlete, the instructors WILL find a way to challenge you. That's the point. As long as you aren't lagging behind everyone else though, you should be fine I would think.
                Last edited by Kris396; 01-26-2015, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Just saw that you were changing it up a little - add in some 8 count body builders. They suck. You'll LOVE them.

1 set is 20.
                  We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                  Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                    Just saw that you were changing it up a little - add in some 8 count body builders. They suck. You'll LOVE them.

1 set is 20.
                    Since I will be changing up my burpees anyways, I think I'll do those. My abs hate you already.

Comment

So made that change for todays workout and... yeah... that is definitely harder and I'm gonna feel it. I was only able to do 3 sets of everything due to fatigue and lunch time restriction. Thanks for that suggestion Aero.

Comment

No problem. I hate those!

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                          No problem. I hate those!
                          Second day doing those and still feeling the affects from day 1 (had BI interview, fingerprinting and class or would have went yesterday). Especially the groin region since I didn't have anything that worked that area. Mind you, I'm still only doing 3x15 of those so I can get my body acclimated to it. Next week I'm going to try and go 4x20. Either way, it's rough and I'm sweating like crazy.
                          Last edited by adoragon; 01-28-2015, 03:38 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by adoragon View Post
                            Second day doing those and still feeling the affects from day 1 (had BI interview, fingerprinting and class or would have went yesterday). Especially the groin region since I didn't have anything that worked that area. Mind you, I'm still only doing 3x15 of those so I can get my body acclimated to it. Next week I'm going to try and go 4x20. Either way, it's rough and I'm sweating like crazy.
                            Good stuff!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2675 users online. 149 members and 2526 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X