300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weght Training Vs Running on abdomina fat

A combination of resistance training and aerobics is best, but weight training was found superior:

Why weight training is better for your waistline than running

A new Harvard study has found that weight training is a better way of keeping the middle-aged spread at bay than aerobic activity

In the coming weeks, many of us will find our thoughts turning to how best to shift the weight we've gained over Christmas.

For some that will mean joining the local gym, while others will dust off their trainers and take up running.

But which activity is best for getting rid of those extra pounds?

According to a new study, weight training is the most effective way of keeping abdominal fat in check, compared to other activities such as running or cycling.

Researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health measured the activity levels of over 10,000 men aged 40-plus, monitoring their weight and waist circumference over a 12-year period.
    Related Articles

They found that those men who spent an extra 20 minutes a day weight training gained less abdominal weight over the course of the study than men who increased the amount of time they spent doing aerobic exercise.

Combining weight training with aerobic exerise led to even better results, the study found.

Frank Hu of Harvard School of Public Health said: "This study underscores the importance of weight training in reducing abdominal obesity, especially among the elderly.

"To maintain a healthy weight and waistline, it is critical to incorporate weight training with aerobic exercise."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/activ...n-running.html

Harvard press release:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/pre...ing-belly-fat/
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Interesting. I hate running, but I enjoy sprinting, and honestly feel that it is more applicable to my job as well as my hobby (judo). Currently I've been doing hill sprints 2 to 3 times a week and I do 2 upper body strength sessions a week.
    I got away from doing lower body exercises because of some back problems. The hill sprints seem to double as a strength exercise and an aerobic workout. I've never felt better. I'm throwing guys with more power and I feel great when chasing someone or going hands on with someone at work.

Comment

Hi WillBrink,

Also, as you know, a combination of heavier weights with fewer reps and lighter weights with more reps is better for overall fitness than either is alone.

Regards,

Monty

Comment

Don't forget caloric intake!!

Comment

This study seems to leave a lot to the imagination. Maybe the actual publication clears a lot of it up, but based on that article there are enough variables here to really call the whole thing potentially a load of BS.

"They found that those men who spent an extra 20 minutes a day weight training gained less abdominal weight over the course of the study than men who increased the amount of time they spent doing aerobic exercise" So they may/may not have ALREADY been doing some form of exercise before? How well was this controlled? The guys who "increased" their weight training by 20 minutes, how much were they doing before? Were they possibly doing cardio as well? Eating habits were not monitored?

Even at best, this study only tells you that ADDING 20 minutes of weight training to an already existing mystery work-out plan (which for all we know may have already included running) is better than adding 20 minutes of running, but it doesn't say if 20 minutes of cardio beats 20 minutes of weight training for somebody who currently does not exercise at all.

I am guessing (hoping) the actual study explains the controls more, but based on that alone it doesn't sound too conclusive.

With that said, I have always found that anaerobic works best for fat burning and low intensity running was never known to be particularly good for that (although it does have cardiovascular benefits obviously). It definitely seems plausible that weight training COULD be better. I guess from being in the research field for a while myself, I just have gripes with vaguely written studies.
          Last edited by Kris396; 02-12-2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kris396 View Post
            This study seems to leave a lot to the imagination. Maybe the actual publication clears a lot of it up, but based on that article there are enough variables here to really call the whole thing potentially a load of BS.

"They found that those men who spent an extra 20 minutes a day weight training gained less abdominal weight over the course of the study than men who increased the amount of time they spent doing aerobic exercise" So they may/may not have ALREADY been doing some form of exercise before? How well was this controlled? The guys who "increased" their weight training by 20 minutes, how much were they doing before? Were they possibly doing cardio as well? Eating habits were not monitored?

Even at best, this study only tells you that ADDING 20 minutes of weight training to an already existing mystery work-out plan (which for all we know may have already included running) is better than adding 20 minutes of running, but it doesn't say if 20 minutes of cardio beats 20 minutes of weight training for somebody who currently does not exercise at all.

I am guessing (hoping) the actual study explains the controls more, but based on that alone it doesn't sound too conclusive.

With that said, I have always found that anaerobic works best for fat burning and low intensity running was never known to be particularly good for that (although it does have cardiovascular benefits obviously). It definitely seems plausible that weight training COULD be better. I guess from being in the research field for a while myself, I just have gripes with vaguely written studies.
            Not the first study to find that by any means. If you want the details of how well controlled for confounding variables, etc, then you'll need to read the full study for the details. Study was published December 22, 2014 in J. Obesity.

What I posted above are the summary write ups for non science types.
            - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
              Not the first study to find that by any means. If you want the details of how well controlled for confounding variables, etc, then you'll need to read the full study for the details. Study was published December 22, 2014 in J. Obesity.

What I posted above are the summary write ups for non science types.
              Point taken, and no offense meant btw! I was just picking on the article for not explaining better. I take your word that there is more research out there on this topic as it seems like it would be a pretty popular thing to study.

In research psych I used to see lots of studies totally manipulated by article writers to make a point for a Psychology Today article or some other non-science publication. They'd take results that were really meant to be looked at in a very specific context and make these broad, generalized claims about it. It was always just a pet peeve of mine for them to not explain the controls in more detail because it could make a big difference as to the real implications of the study. I wanna know everything!
              Last edited by Kris396; 02-12-2015, 11:47 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5999 users online. 360 members and 5639 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X