300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Bull Study

As expected, Red Bull = sugar water + caffeine.

Objective

Consumption of energy drinks is increasing amongst athletes and the general public. By virtue of their bioactive ingredients (including caffeine, taurine, glucuronolactone, and B-group vitamins) and paucity of calories, sugar-free “diet” versions of these drinks could be a useful aid for weight maintenance. Yet little is known about the acute influence of these drinks, and specifically the role of the cocktail of non-caffeine ingredients, on resting energy expenditure (REE) and substrate oxidation. Therefore, the metabolic impact of sugar-free Red Bull (sfRB) to a comparable amount of caffeine was compared.

Methods

REE and respiratory quotient (RQ) were measured in eight healthy young men by ventilated-hood indirect calorimetry for 30 min baseline and 2 h following ingestion of 355 ml of either: sfRB + placebo, water + 120 mg caffeine, or water + placebo, according to a randomized cross-over design.

Results

sfRB and water + caffeine both increased REE to the same degree (+4%). Additionally, sfRB briefly increased RQ. Water + caffeine had no effect on RQ relative to water + placebo.

Conclusions

sfRB enhanced thermogenesis and marginally shifted RQ to favor carbohydrate oxidation. The stimulatory effects of sfRB on REE are mimicked by water + caffeine, indicating that the auxiliary ingredients do not influence this thermic effect. The metabolic effects of sfRB are primarily due to caffeine alone.

Source:

The thermic effect of sugar-free Red Bull: Do the non-caffeine bioactive ingredients in energy drinks play a role? - Miles-Chan - 2014 - Obesity - Wiley Online Library
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

So in other words, drink coffee.
    Originally posted by RSGSRT
    We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
    Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
      So in other words, drink coffee.
      Coffee has many well established health benefits, but synthetic caffeine and coffee actually have different effects, so a wash perhaps. I'd still take the coffee to be sure and if wanted the effects of pure caffeine, take a cheap No Doz, etc.
      - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
        Coffee has many well established health benefits, but synthetic caffeine and coffee actually have different effects, so a wash perhaps. I'd still take the coffee to be sure and if wanted the effects of pure caffeine, take a cheap No Doz, etc.
        I usually have coffee at home or in cooler weather. For warmer weather, I like energy drinks, but Red Bull is a rip off. I found AMP is good and reasonably price, but it unfortunately has a lot of sugar.
        We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
        Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

I usually have coffee at home or in cooler weather. For warmer weather, I like energy drinks, but Red Bull is a rip off. I found AMP is good and reasonably price, but it unfortunately has a lot of sugar.
          They don't make a diet version?
          - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
            They don't make a diet version?
            I never looked. But 2 for $3 with 168 mg of caffeine per can, I just drank it anyway.

Comment

I never looked. But 2 for $3 with 168 mg of caffeine per can, I just drank it anyway.
              I'd expect the diet version to be similarly priced if you don't want the sugar.
              - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

There are sugar free amps, but the red ones are too good to say no to! I try to avoid the caffeine as much as possible but some days you just gotta do it.

Comment

I love the grape and orange ones.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4812 users online. 289 members and 4523 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X