300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abdominal wall hernia

Have any of you had one of these? I've googled images, and what I have doesn't really look like what I see. It's relatively mild compared to most of the images, you can't really even see it except when I do a sit up. I've had it for about 7 years or so I guess. I used to think it was just a fat deposit that I couldn't get rid of or something, especially since I don't really have any pain from it. In a recent physical, the doc asked me to lay back to continue her exam and my shirt was off. When I laid back, she noticed it. She said "if it doesn't hurt, don't worry about it." I have my yearly checkup with a gastro doc for my stomach issues coming up, and I am going to discuss it with him. I am sure he will say "oh we gotta fix that.." - since that's what docs who get paid for cutting you usually say...

So has anyone had one of these? Did you have it fixed? How was recovery? Do you notice any significant lack of strength in your abdomen now?

I am kind of worried about NOT having it fixed, because some of the things I read say that even if it isn't bad now, it can turn bad really fast.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I would suggest getting it done. I had one right above my belly button. I was born with it and it was only slightly bothersome until my junior year of D1 college rowing. Suddenly it became unbearable and I knew it was time to get the surgery.

Recovery is fairly quick. You will be sore as he'll for a month and the first week is really tough but it's worth it in the long run and better to get it done sooner rather than later bc your muscles weaken as you get older and cause it to tear even more.

Comment

Oh and as far as difference in strength. My abdominals are 10 times stronger now because I'm no longer afraid to work those muscles. Prior to the surgery I was afraid.
      The danger with abdominal hernias is that you don't know what the mass is. Hypothetically it could be your intestines or another organ and can be strangulated so badly during exertion of your abdominal muscles that your intestines could become perforated and you could go toxic.

More often it's fat. But the only way of knowing is when they open you up.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5316 users online. 293 members and 5023 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X