300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meal Replacement

Can anyone help me with suggestions on meal replacement shakes?
    I go to a bootcamp 4x a week and haven't lost any weight and lost very little in inches but I do feel more energetic.
    This is what I do now: 5 days a week one for breakfast and one for lunch then I have regular dinner.
    casein protein blended with either strawberries or blueberries and 1/2 cup of oatmeal and water (24oz total).
    Maybe I'm going at this the wrong way or using the wrong type of protein?
    Anyone have better suggestions?

Weight loss is all about calories in calories out. You need to find out how many calories you are burning and consume less than that. It doesn't matter what kinds of food you are eating, 3,500 unburnt calories equals one pound of fat whether it is from chicken breast or deep fried candy bars. You need to burn 500 more calories a day than you consume if you want to lose a pound a week.

Comment

In addition to counting calories, as SwollasaurusRex suggested here are a couple more suggestions.

Have a bigger breakfast, lighter lunch, lighter dinner.
      Eat multiple times a day to help keep your metabolism going. Make sure to include fiber to help get that full feeling.
      Drink a lot of water.
      Remember that fat weights less than muscle, so it is very likely that you are dropping fat but gaining a lot of muscle.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-...-fat-loss.html

If you constantly have that hungry feeling despite reaching your caloritic intake numbers it may mean that your stomach is stretched from overeating. As an adult it takes a very, very long time to shrink back, if it ever does. Drinking water helps, but you may need to get use to that hungry feeling.

For my shakes I use Optimum Nutrition protein powder, sometimes SlimFast for more taste or if I need calories but am in a hurry, and 5g of creatine. I had put on some stomach fat due to getting older (and becoming more sensitive to carbohydrates) and not running as much as I should, but the stomach is slowly going away.

Good luck reaching your goals.
      Last edited by Gradient Shift; 07-11-2014, 07:07 PM.
      “You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” ― Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by life*is*good View Post
        I go to a bootcamp 4x a week and haven't lost any weight and lost very little in inches but I do feel more energetic.
        This is what I do now: 5 days a week one for breakfast and one for lunch then I have regular dinner.
        casein protein blended with either strawberries or blueberries and 1/2 cup of oatmeal and water (24oz total).
        Is there a reason you're using shakes instead of whole foods? With few exceptions, whole foods are vastly superior to mass-marketed supplements. It also sounds like your calories are very low. Although it sounds counter-intuitive, what happens when you go into too significant of a caloric deficit is that your metabolism shuts down and your thyroid is severely impaired. I have worked with thousands of clients, ranging from weekend warriors to Olympic champions, and this issue is very common throughout every level of well-intentioned people. Don't get discouraged, I guarantee with the right guidance, mindset and effort, you can achieve your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by life*is*good View Post
          Yes, start focusing on real food.
          - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

1. You're better off eating real food than the shakes, but if that just isn't possible shakes are better than nothing. One big problem with drinking your food is that you'll feel hungry again sooner than with regular food.

2. Make breakfast your big meal. Eat small lunch and dinner, or better yet breakfast then 4-5 other small meals equally spaced from 10am-ish to bedtime. Half a chicken breast and a small apple, carrot sticks and 1/2 cup of mixed nuts, etc, etc.

3. Track your calories by type: 30% carbs, 40% protein, 30% fat. Adding a good clean protein powder to your other foods can help with that. I like "Isopure Zero Carb: Unflavored". You can even add it to things like fresh strawberries (I macerate them with Stivia and add one scoop of protein powder).

One place replacement shakes are good is post-workout recovery. You can make your own out of "real" food but honestly the pre-made is good enough for most of us. I like Muscle Milk and Core Power. Others may bad-mouth them but they work for me.
            Last edited by tanksoldier; 07-26-2014, 10:12 PM.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4441 users online. 260 members and 4181 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X