300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prostate Cancer and Testosterone Connection

The connection between testosterone and prostate cancer has been a confusing one, and often paradoxical. The latest article by BrinkZone.com author science writer Monica Mollica may explain why and is a must read on the topic:

Testosterone and Prostate Cancer – Bye Androgen Hypothesis, Welcome Saturation Model

Summary/take home for those who don't wanna read the science jargon:

"The long-held belief that prostate cancer risk is related to high testosterone levels, aka the Androgen Hypothesis, is not supported by clinical data. The Saturation Model and paradigm change that it brings to old inaccurate reasoning is that testosterone has a finite ability to stimulate prostate cancer growth.

The saturation model explains the paradoxical observations that prostate tissue is sensitive to changes in testosterone levels at low concentrations, but becomes insensitive to changes in testosterone levels at higher levels. Men with high testosterone levels are not at increased risk of developing prostate cancer, low testosterone levels provide no protection against the development of prostate cancer, and some men with untreated prostate cancer have received testosterone therapy without evidence of prostate cancer progression.Current evidence shows that maximal testosterone-stimulated prostate cancer growth is achieved at low sub-optimal testosterone levels."
    Last edited by WillBrink; 06-02-2014, 08:50 AM.
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Most people think of it as a man's disease, but prostate cancer can affect both men and women.

Comment

Originally posted by bugatto View Post
      Most people think of it as a man's disease, but prostate cancer can affect both men and women.
      Beware of women with prostates my friend.
      - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

How does acupuncture help prevent or treat prostate cancer?

Comment

Originally posted by bugatto View Post
          How does acupuncture help prevent or treat prostate cancer?
          Who says it does? News to me.
          - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Wait are you saying there is unclear, inaccurate, and conflicting information coming out of the medical community at large?

All joking aside the information is out there for people to stay healthy and take of the majority of problems life throws at us with out medical intervention. No one else no matter how well intentioned or educated has the same intrest or attention to give someone elses health and well being. If someone can't do some research then put in the effort to stay healthy and fit. Then no amount of bandaiding and symptom management can keep ahead of the 24 hour a day assault most people perpetrate on their own body and mind.

Comment

Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
              Beware of women with prostates my friend.
              The female analog of the prostate gland was ineptly named the paraurethral gland.

Comment

Will have they ever studied what men's testosterone/E2 levels were when first diagnosed with prostate cancer? Since men tend to be older I wonder if the balance of the two is higher for E2 due to all of the xenoestrogens.

Comment

Here's a good free article link:
                  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1867111/

I stopped listening to my biology teachers when they proved they were too often wrong.

Differentiation means offspring cells are NOT exactly identical to parent cells.

Transcription is imperfect.

From Crick's autobiography:

"I called this idea the central dogma, for two reasons, I suspect. I had already used the obvious word hypothesis in the sequence hypothesis, and in addition I wanted to suggest that this new assumption was more central and more powerful. ... As it turned out, the use of the word dogma caused almost more trouble than it was worth. Many years later Jacques Monod pointed out to me that I did not appear to understand the correct use of the word dogma, which is a belief that cannot be doubted. I did apprehend this in a vague sort of way but since I thought that all religious beliefs were without foundation, I used the word the way I myself thought about it, not as most of the world does, and simply applied it to a grand hypothesis that, however plausible, had little direct experimental support."

Although he and Watson made the biggest breakthrough ever in genetics -- beyond even Mendel's -- they apparently disregarded the complete inability of mitosis to replicate the ends of linear DNA.

The telomeres at the ends of the chromosomes are repeated TTAGGG sequences that don't code for any proteins so the central dogma theorists didn't consider them to be of great importance. They're right that telomeres aren't informationally important but they're important mechanically in protecting genes.

Humans have about 70 telomeric sequences on each chromosome -- that means the cell can by mitosis divide about 70 times before the chromosomes have no further protection from toxic intracellular acids. They splay apart and DNA that codes for proteins gets destroyed. The cell responds by sending out caspases. That causes it to be attacked by neighboring cells. The resultant process, apoptosis, is cell death.

Stem cells have the ability to reproduce telomeric sequences. An enzyme known as hTRT (human telomerase reverse transcriptase) has the ability on an mRNA subunit to produce telomerase which templates the TTAGGG sequences at the ends of the chromosomes. When mesenchymal blood-cell-producing stem cells in the bone marrow pick up peptide signals from distressed cells they can become migratory and go into the bloodstream to seek out and repair the problem.

Sometimes they become part of the problem.

They interchange DNA between themselves and the distressed cells.

In some instances the distressed cells possess the oncogenes -- the cancer genes -- and transmit them to the migratory mesencyhmal stem cells, and those cells re-impart to the pre-cancerous cells the hTRT-based telomere rebuilding capability that the pre-cancerous fully-differentiated mature cells had long lost during the mitotic differentiation process, and that impartation allows them to reproduce indefinitely repeatedly.

So having enabled the pre-cancerous cells to become fully cancerous, and having uptaken the oncogenes and so become cancerous themselves, they then conclude their cellular repairs and continue their migratory action.

Then they stop at a site where normally non-alarming peptide signals are found -- such signals as wouldn't make stem cells migratory but would alert those which already are so -- and interchange DNA -- they impart the oncogenes and hTRT capability -- lymph nodes regularly throw peptides around so they become likely targets.

And that my fellow mortals is in my opinion a mediator of metastasis.

As a theorist I proposed that hypothesis in 1988 and it was largely confirmed in 2009 by genuine research scientists who actually did the work.

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
                    Will have they ever studied what men's testosterone/E2 levels were when first diagnosed with prostate cancer? Since men tend to be older I wonder if the balance of the two is higher for E2 due to all of the xenoestrogens.
                    I'm not aware of any on-point studies on that but I think you're right. Estradiol binds to the androgen receptors and thereby causes them to become inaccessible to testosterone. That causes the body to reduce the number of such receptors.
                    Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 06-19-2014, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
                      Older men tend to have higher E2 and lower TT/FT. E2 clearly plays a role in prostate cancer, but the exact mechanism(s), in humans, still being researched. A good review:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3134227/

There's also tons of good articles on TRT/HRT, etc on my site to read that touches on those topics.

higher E2 levels are correlated to prostate cancer risk, and modern studies clearly associate elevated E2 with a number of diseases best avoided, so control E2 in men is an essential component to hormone balance/HRT in men, and that's just starting to be appreciated by the medical community at large, with many still paying no attention to that hormone in men sadly.

In terms of xenoestrogens, it's unclear. Obesity probably the major factor in elevated E2 and low TT/FT if I had to pick one obvious known cause of elevated E2 in men.
                      - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Green beans have long been regarded as a healthy food that supports various areas of the body. One of the most heavily researched benefits is in the ability of green beans nutrition to help prevent and stop the spread of several cancers throughout the body.

While one of the reasons for this is the high antioxidant load in green beans nutrition

Basically, this refers to the fact that nutrients present in green beans help exert anticarcinogenic properties in the body, independently from the antioxidant activity found from green beans nutrition. This places green beans among the strongest cancer-fighting food. Research also supports that in addition to preventative measures, peptides in green beans can also slow or stop the growth of cancer cells.

Regular consumption of green beans is associated with a lower risk of breast, colon and prostate cancer. Eating varieties of Phaseolus vulgaris is also associated with slowed or inhibited growth of leukemia, breast cancer and lymphoma cells.

Several nutrients in green beans have cancer-fighting properties on their own. Lutein, one of the types of antioxidants known as carotenoids, is found in large quantities in green beans. It’s suggested that people who consume high quantities of dietary lutein have a lowered risk of breast, colon, cervical and lung cancer, and green beans is No. 8 on the list of foods highest in lutein. Vitamin C is also a commonly known anticancer vitamin, as it has been known, in large doses, to treat cancer. Many health practitioners also use vitamin C to supplement chemotherapy drugs, as the vitamin helps the drugs target only the cancerous cells, rather than the entire body. One serving of green beans contains over a quarter of the daily recommended intake of vitamin C.

The amount of vitamin K in a serving of green beans provides over half of one day’s recommended intake as well. Guess what else has been proven to protect the body against cancer? That’s right, vitamin K has had success in reducing the risk of prostate, colon, stomach, nasal and oral cancer.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3134227/
                        https://wikihomenutrition.com/green-...alth-benefits/
                        https://www.nccs.com.sg/Publications...rition_Eng.pdf
                        https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1713264/

Comment

Oh look, she copied and pasted another rambling string of sentences unrelated to the topic. Do you have any original thoughts or anything to add?
                          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7887 users online. 371 members and 7516 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X