300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running after lifting?

Is running after weight lifting bad for your workout?

I am curious, because depending on who you talk to you get a different answer. My normal workout routine is Monday thru Friday weight lifting. I recently started adding running after my normal work out. Between one and two miles a three days a week. My question is the running after weight lifting going to be detrimental to my workout routine. I don't want to lose to much size but trying to improve my overall fitness while not losing to much of my muscle. Any suggestions or advice?
    "This $hit is chess not checkers" - Best advice I ever got on this job.

My advice? Sprints. Running sprints or any sort of HIIT. It's the only kind of cardio I do on my own without any external impetus. It's the fastest cardio workout with the most payoff. Do some Google searching on the benefits of sprinting and you'll see the reasons why. Or just Google image search a sprinter's physique. They're ridiculously sexy.

When I went through Airman Leadership School they had us running 3-5 miles a few times a week. It just felt like a waste of time, to me, honestly. I don't know how anyone has the patience to run marathons. People talk about this "runner's high," but I don't know, man. Not my thing. And long-distance running is not your friend if you're trying to make gains. That being said, I wouldn't call 1-2 miles "long distance." You're probably fine doing what you're doing. But still, check out sprinting. I actually think it's fun.

Comment

Originally posted by DotDash View Post
      My advice? Sprints. Running sprints or any sort of HIIT. It's the only kind of cardio I do on my own without any external impetus. It's the fastest cardio workout with the most payoff. Do some Google searching on the benefits of sprinting and you'll see the reasons why. Or just Google image search a sprinter's physique. They're ridiculously sexy.

When I went through Airman Leadership School they had us running 3-5 miles a few times a week. It just felt like a waste of time, to me, honestly. I don't know how anyone has the patience to run marathons. People talk about this "runner's high," but I don't know, man. Not my thing. And long-distance running is not your friend if you're trying to make gains. That being said, I wouldn't call 1-2 miles "long distance." You're probably fine doing what you're doing. But still, check out sprinting. I actually think it's fun.
      I agree with what DotDash states above. Your 1 to 2 miles will not get you into the zone where your body starts breaking down muscle mass for energy. That would take many more miles.

The only issue I can see you having with running directly after lifting is if it takes you away from whatever your post workout "meal" routine is. Even then you won't see a particularly averse impact, but your recovery times may increase if you don't get protein into your system within the first few hours after a workout.

With that said, kudos to you for throwing in some cardio. Your heart will thank you in your later years!

Comment

Drive down any scenic road on a weekend morning, and you're likely to see more joggers than scenery. You might feel jealous at how fit and energetic they look, and perhaps even a twinge of shame as you look down at the box of donuts in the seat next to you which was your purpose for being out this beautiful morning.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6297 users online. 346 members and 5951 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X