300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lunch. burger or healthy option?

I notice many of the seasoned officers will eat fast food twice a day vs binging lunch. many buy sodas at gas stations vs water bottle. What do you all eat on shift? Do you pack a healthy lunch or grab go?

For the most part I have a salad everyday. Several of the local grocery stores have very good salad bars and I keep a bottle of low fat, no sugar dressing (Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar) which does not need to be refrigerated at the station. If I get tired of the salad bars at the grocery stores I go to Panera which has good salads and gives us 50% off or one of the several Mexican or Italian joints, all of which offer salads. There is also a great sushi joint and I usually go for sashimi, squid or seaweed salad, and miso soup. I usually drink sparkling water (Perrier/LeCroix/Pellegrino) which I can buy at Costco by the case and keep either in the fridge at the station or in a small cooler in the car.

When I worked nights I would usually bring a salad. Once every week or two I would grill up about 10 or so chicken breasts, slice them, and then freeze them in ziplock bags. I would simply make my salad and plop the frozen chicken in the container. The frozen chicken would keep other items in the salad such as cheese or the red pepper strips from going bad and by the time I was half way through my shift it was completely thawed, but still cold and ready to eat.
    Last edited by dream34; 06-04-2014, 12:12 PM.

Comment

If you care about your children's health, if you would like to keep them free of colds, ear aches, tonsillitis and other ailments and set them up nutritionally for a healthy life, it's worth setting some standards around their nutrition and refusing to budge.

Comment

Originally posted by bugatto View Post
        If you care about your children's health, if you would like to keep them free of colds, ear aches, tonsillitis and other ailments and set them up nutritionally for a healthy life, it's worth setting some standards around their nutrition and refusing to budge.
        Huh???

Comment

Originally posted by dream34 View Post
          For the most part I have a salad everyday. Several of the local grocery stores have very good salad bars and I keep a bottle of low fat, no sugar dressing (Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar) which does not need to be refrigerated at the station. If I get tired of the salad bars at the grocery stores I go to Panera which has good salads and gives us 50% off or one of the several Mexican or Italian joints, all of which offer salads. There is also a great sushi joint and I usually go for sashimi, squid or seaweed salad, and miso soup. I usually drink sparkling water (Perrier/LeCroix/Pellegrino) which I can buy at Costco by the case and keep either in the fridge at the station or in a small cooler in the car.

When I worked nights I would usually bring a salad. Once every week or two I would grill up about 10 or so chicken breasts, slice them, and then freeze them in ziplock bags. I would simply make my salad and plop the frozen chicken in the container. The frozen chicken would keep other items in the salad such as cheese or the red pepper strips from going bad and by the time I was half way through my shift it was completely thawed, but still cold and ready to eat.
          That's a whole lot of awesome information - thanks!
          Originally posted by RSGSRT
          We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
          Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by bugatto View Post
            That's it, I'm headed straight for my local station and I will smack those insolent, Dorito-gobbling coppers right upside their heads if they aren't eating perfectly balanced meals while on the clock!

Meanwhile, if you have room, use one of those insulated grocery bags and include a couple of bottles of frozen water; they'll keep your food cold a lot longer even on a miserably hot day. If you have a sandwich, put any condiments inside the meat, not directly on the bread so it doesn't get as soggy. Lightly drying off the meat that touches the bread helps even more if you're especially picky.
            "Snort-laughter is the best medicine"
            ----- Mussel Bound

Don't forget to laugh today. The more implausible it seems, the more you need to.

Comment

Being in the jail, the kitchen staff usually gives us both healthy and not-so-healthy options. I try to stay healthy, while not completely depriving myself of the good stuff. As drinks go, I usually drink one unhealthy iced coffee a day, then stick to black coffee and water.

Comment

Foods aren't healthy and unhealthy. Foods should be looked at by their nutrional value individually. One burger may not have good nutrional value per calorie ratio, while another may. You can eat out and eat 'junk' and still maintain good calorie, protein, fat and carb intake. It's all about macro nutrients.

Comment

I try to balance everything out as equally as possible.

Monday = fried chicken and mashed potatoes, usually from Popeye's
                  Tuesday = Burger and fries - alternate between BK and McD's, sometimes Milo's
                  Wednesday = taco bell --- mmmmmmmmm goood!
                  Thursday = Pizza all the way
                  Friday = I splurge and have a buffet somewhere

If my shift has me working weekends, then I just substitute the day for whatever my next off day would be. This way I keep all my important food groups balanced.

Comment

I may have surprised you with the healthy burger and chips title.

Comment

Lol funny interesting choices

Comment

Salads are so good on the road. Thanks. I'll try the way you do yours.

Comment

I try to bring somewhat nutritious lunches, and I usually eat a meal right before my shift which can pretty much hold me over til I get home. The gas station usually has good little snacks, like a bag of pistachios or a string cheese.

But if I don't have time to make a lunch or forget, I say screw it and eat crap. I work night shift, so I have only two options: fast food burgers or Denny's/IHOP. Fortunately, I don't really like eating in restaurants on duty so I only do that maybe every other week.

Comment

Thank you for commenting

Comment

Sorry but i have not seen Whataburger listed on anyones menu.So i know for sure some are hedging on what they are eating here

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4993 users online. 229 members and 4764 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X