300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Loss, Not Always So Healthy...

For relationships. This is old news to anyone who has worked extensively with people trying to lose weight, and it's even something I used pre warn people about so they were prepared for if/when it happened.

Not only do "friends" and spouses often not support their efforts, they will often actively attempt to sabotage their efforts. Seen it countless times sadly.

Weight loss not always beneficial for romantic relationships

Losing weight is generally beneficial for human health, but when one partner in a romantic relationship loses weight, it doesn't always have a positive effect on the relationship. According to new research from North Carolina State University and the University of Texas at Austin, there can be a "dark side" to weight loss, if both partners are not on board with enacting healthy changes.

People need to be aware that weight loss can change a relationship for better or worse, and that communication plays an important role in maintaining a healthy relationship," says Dr. Lynsey Romo, an assistant professor of communication at NC State and lead author of a paper on the research.

For the study, researchers surveyed 21 couples – 42 adults – from across the country. One partner in each couple had lost 30 or more pounds in less than two years, with an average weight loss of about 60 pounds. Reasons for the weight loss ranged from changes in diet and exercise to medical procedures. The questionnaires asked each member of the couple about the impact of the weight loss on their relationship.

The researchers found that, after weight loss, the couples' communication generally changed for the good. The partner who lost weight was more likely to talk about healthy behaviors and inspire his/her partner to maintain or enact a healthy lifestyle. Couples in which both partners were receptive to these healthy changes reported more positive interactions and increased physical and emotional intimacy.

However, in some cases, weight loss resulted in negative communication. Some partners who lost weight nagged their significant other to follow their lead, which caused tension in the relationship. Other partners who hadn't lost weight reported feeling threatened and insecure by their partner's weight loss. These participants were resistant to change in their relationships. They would make critical comments toward their significant other, be less interested in sex, or try to sabotage their partner with unhealthy food in order to derail their partner's efforts and prevent the partner—and the relationship—from changing.

"This study found that one partner's lifestyle change influenced the dynamic of couples' interaction in a variety of positive or negative ways, tipping the scale of romantic relationships in a potentially upward or downward direction," Romo says. "When both partners bought into the idea of healthy changes and were supportive of one another, weight loss appeared to bring people closer. When significant others resisted healthy changes and were not supportive of their partner's weight loss, the relationship suffered.

"This study should not dissuade anyone from losing excess weight, but it should encourage people to be aware of the potential pros and cons of weight loss on their relationship," Romo adds. "It is really important for the partner of someone trying to lose weight to be supportive of their significant other without feeling threatened by their health changes. This approach will help people lose weight without jeopardizing the quality of their relationship."

The paper, "Weighty Dynamics: Exploring Couples' Perceptions of Post-Weight-Loss Interaction," was published online Oct. 24 in the journal Health Communication. The paper was co-authored by Dr. René Dailey of the University of Texas.
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

I read an article on this recently, it's interesting stuff. I listen to a lot of talk-radio (spend a lot of time in my car) & I've heard psychologists talking about this issue. And similarly with respect to issues like drinking and drugs - same kind of effect when one partner decides to clean up their act, and the other sabotages their attempts. It really is sad. "Water seeks its own level" - I guess often it takes someone realizing they need to seek a new level if they don't get support from a partner.

Comment

Originally posted by MAVet View Post
      I read an article on this recently, it's interesting stuff. I listen to a lot of talk-radio (spend a lot of time in my car) & I've heard psychologists talking about this issue. And similarly with respect to issues like drinking and drugs - same kind of effect when one partner decides to clean up their act, and the other sabotages their attempts. It really is sad. "Water seeks its own level" - I guess often it takes someone realizing they need to seek a new level if they don't get support from a partner.
      Yes, a similar mindset no doubt.
      - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

that nice llol

Comment

thnk you for posting this thread

Comment

thank you for posting

Comment

can i help you?

Comment

I am passionate about healthy living and not weight loss. Therefore I want to talk about why it's important to set the right kinds of goals. The biggest message I want to push here is that your weight is not a good measure of how healthy you are.

Comment

There is no shortage of information on losing weight and all sorts of reasons and explanations as to why excess weight is such a problem in North America. It can be very difficult to sift through the information and find an actual philosophy that not only enables one to lose weight but also to keep it off and maintain a healthy state of being.

Comment

for many people it's not just about more dietary advice.

Comment

i have read an article about a girl trying to lose weight by not eating anything and only drink water. She ended up dying due to brain damaged.

Comment

In case you get tired, you should concern about oregano. This guy is very powerful. You need more energy, and this guy is the thing for you. With vitamins B and some organic compounds in its content, one of top oregano health benefits is to enhance your metabolism. This, in turn, helps to energize and rejuvenate the body by maximizing the circulation. Oregano is also rich in iron which is important for the production of hemoglobin. Hemoglobin will carry more oxygen to every cell and muscle, making you more energetic and stronger. You can use this for salad or dry it and then drink for more energy. Besides, it can boost many other parts of your body.
                        You can see banana is the fruit that can help you. Compared with many foods, bananas are relatively low in calories, but they are rich in antioxidants and healthy carbohydrates, which break down into blood sugar for fuel. Bananas happen to be low in fiber and are easily digestible, which means their sugar enters your body quickly for a rapid energy boost. Many athletics using banana as the energy booster.
                        There are many fruits and vegetables that help you to change the diet in to more various one. You can see more in this link: https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/F...1p2_023109.pdf
                        http://www.scielo.cl/pdf/amv/v48n2/art11.pdf
                        https://wikihomenutrition.com/oregano-health-benefits/
                        https://repository.lib.ncsu.edu/bits...pdf?sequence=1

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5993 users online. 177 members and 5816 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X