300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coke vrs Diet Coke

I drink a lot of Coke and want to know if changing to Diet Coke is going to be better for me.

I know I should cut back altogether but I love the stuff. I have also been told that orange juice has the same amount of sugar in it as Coke.

Coke is about the only thing I have all the time that is 'bad' for me. Will cutting back make any noticeable difference?

Diet coke has 0 calories, a regular coke has how many? Over 100? How many do you drink in a day? Just do the math. A pound of fat is 3500 calories.

Comment

As a diet pop junkie I will concur that it's much better than drinking regular pop. Just keep in mind it's still got caffeine and what not in it so don't start drinking more just because it's got zero calories.

Have you tried the new Diet Vanilla Coke? not bad! Diet Pepsi Vanilla is great.

S3

Comment

Just a word of warning, my wife drank Diet Coke for years until she found out that it contained aspertain, which has traces of Cyanide.

Don't get me wrong it's not gonna effect your unles your consuming large quantities.

Just a little food for thought.
        Born to be a S.W.A.T member

Comment

Aspartame

Aspartame has been the subject of all sorts of rumors and other unfounded health scares. So far, there is no evidence of any health problems associated with Aspartame. The only exception seems to be that people who are sensitive to phenylalanine, which is why there's a specific warning to that effect on the labels of foods sweetened with Aspartame. Even then, the only symptoms are generally headache and nausea. Even most of them find that they only experience these symptoms from hot liquids sweetened with the product. It's easy to find all sorts of ridiculous web sites devoted to the "dangers" of Aspartame...just like you can find web sites "proving" that NASA faked all the Apollo moon landings and so forth. Saccharin, on the other hand, has been firmly established as a carcinogen, so it always amazes me that people who are afraid of Aspartame, use Saccharin products, instead.

If you drink significant amounts of regular soda, replacing it with a diet soda can make all the difference in the world because all that regular soda could represent 1000 or more totally empty calories from pure sugar. Yes, fruit sugar is dietetically similar to processed sugar, but there's less of it per serving, and at least fruit contains other beneficial nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and fiber.

Just about everything I've eaten for 20+ years has Nutrasweet in it and I've never experienced a single health problem from it...besides, typing is a lot easier with this extra little arm that comes outta my naval because it's exactly the right height for my keyboard.
          Last edited by ProWriter; 09-16-2003, 09:22 AM.
          No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

I wanted to lose some weight one time and cut out all regular sodas and switched to diet. I lost 10 pounds without doing any exercise or other diets. I kept the weight off and lost more as I changed the rest of my diet. That was over 2 years ago and I have not switched back to regular soda. After drinking the diet ones for so long a regular soda tastes too syrupy. I would agree that to many sodas diet or regular are bad for you, but I am a soda junkie too. Good luck.

Comment

Have you tried the new Diet Vanilla Coke?
              Sorry, I can't resist. You MUST try one of these:

16 oz. Tumbler with ice
              2 oz. Grey Goose Vodka (Stolly Lemon Vodka's good too)
              1/2 Lemon squeazed
              1 can of Vanilla Coke

Naturally, these are only to be consumed whilst on vacation and out of reach of the keys I'll tell you though, they can go down very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Born_for_it
                it contained aspertain, which has traces of Cyanide.
                And drinking water contains traces of arsenic. You have a better chance of developing health problems because of the excess calories/carbs in regular coke than because of trace amounts of cyanide in diet coke.

I have a freind who has lost approx. 30 lbs. over the past year simply because he switched from regular to diet coke. I think that speaks for itself.

Comment

If one could get sick from Diet Coke I would have been dead years ago.

I drink on average,

1-42oz first thing in the morning
                  3-4 12 oz cans throughout the day
                  1-Route 44 Diet Cherry Coke from Sonic (my favorite!) on the way home
                  The better part of 1-2ltr

On my days off I will drink close to 2-2 liters, plus at least 1 Route 44 Diet Cherry Coke.

I do not drink, smoke, or eat (alot) of sweets, but I do have a weakness for Diet Coke.

I am not sure there is another person alive that could have consumed more than me. <G>

Regards,
                  David

Comment

Dude,you are gonna mess youself up drinking that much soda. I know from experience. I LOVE Mountain Dew. I used to drink the big 1 liters on duty. I got dehydrated (bad) last summer cause I didn't drink any water or Gatorade and wound up almost passing out on duty one day. I also wound up with a low grade infection that was a direct result of my carbonated drink intake. Having one every once in a while is OK. But drinking large amounts is very unhealthy.
                    If you stare into the abyss long enough,sometimes it stares back.

Comment

JD, what were you told was the connection between the soda and the infection and what kinda infection?
                      No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

It was a toss up between too much carbonated soda and my gunbelt and/or vest riding on my kidneys day after day. What the doc said was it was a low grade infection between my kidneys and uninary tract. Now I drink a lot of water,juice,and Gatorade to keep them flushed and haven't had a problem since. The dehydration was from not drinking anything good and sweating day after day and not replenishing what my body lost. I just kept loading up on Mountain Dew and other carbonated drinks and eventually it caught up with me.
                        If you stare into the abyss long enough,sometimes it stares back.

Comment

I know that you can use coke/diet coke to clean the battery connections under the hood - eats off all the junk for better connection....that makes me wonder, personally.

Also great for cleaning old rust-type rings in the 'ol toilet.
                          "...there is no authority except that which GOD has established...he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgement upon themselves."
                          ROMANS 13: 1,2 (NIV)

Comment

That makes sense, JD. Anything with a lot of salt or sugar will contribute to dehydration and bloating, because both salt and sugar draw water OUT of your blood and into your digestive tract, instead of the other way around. It's possible that all that plus the carbonation bloats the abdomen, causing it to rub against your equipment more than necessary.

One of the worst contributing factors to UTI's is voiding too infrequently, and it's a concern for anybody (especially women) on a job that makes it tough to take rest stops every single time you get the urge. A little potassium on days when you expect to be sweating a lot seems to help, too.

Yeah, that coke thing is one of those urban legends that actually happens to be true. You can feel how caustic or acidic it is by rubbing the enamel of your teeth together after drinking it. It doesn't take much longer to start noticeably eating away at a copper penny either, if you drop one into a glass filled with it.
                            Last edited by ProWriter; 09-21-2003, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I subscribe to REALAGE.com.

You can go to their home page & take a "What's Your REAL Age?" quiz.
                              My "Real" age is 29-30 (can't remember exactly)...I'll be 34 in November - birth age, of course.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this site & quiz to those of you who are concerned &/or just care about your health. Anyway, you can also subscribe to the e-newsletter (which I do). I read this SHORT bit of advice bec. I feel that every little bit helps when it comes to my health. You'd be surprised how much of this info you apply to daily living without dwelling on it or "studying".

They send you daily tips/advice such as the following (which I happened to recieve just this morning...coincidence? LOL):

"...Kick Kidney Stones

Kicking a cola habit might help keep recurring kidney stones
                              in check.

Studies suggest that certain beverages may be associated
                              with an increased risk of developing kidney stones. In one
                              study, kidney stone sufferers who customarily consumed a
                              great deal of cola were much less likely to experience a
                              recurrence when they cut their cola consumption in half.

RealAge Benefit: Actively patrolling your health can make
                              your RealAge as much as 12 years younger.

Just a tidbit
                              "...there is no authority except that which GOD has established...he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgement upon themselves."
                              ROMANS 13: 1,2 (NIV)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2560 users online. 139 members and 2421 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X