300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I could sure use some help

I work a 12 hr shift with a lot of OT and I know I need to hit the gym. I go here and there but not like I use to. My dept looking at going to the BMI as a requirement to stay on. I work the all night shift. I get off at 6 a.m and I go to bed. I dont wake up until 2. Should I just bite the bullet and go as soon as I get off or do I just keep doing my here and there workouts? I dont feel like that plan working. I sometimes get two days off and sometimes one. My wife says I need to spend time with the family but I need gym time to. So what a good plan y'all think?

The first and most important thing you can do for yourself and everyone of your coworkers is convince your department how completely useless the BMI is. The BMI is completely unrealistic. It doesn't take into account actual body mass in any way, so those with muscle are punished as being "fat" or "obese". I bet some of your admin, who think themselves as studly, will think twice once the BMI tells them they're grotesque pigs. A better solution would be a real world obstacle course and job related fitness test.

According to the BMI, I am grossly obese at 5'10" 232lbs. Apparently a 36" waist makes me a beluga whale. And apparently my string bean, tall, lanky kids are grossly overweight somehow. And we won't discuss what it says about my wife......

As far as your workout schedule, I have worked the same schedule as you for most of my adult life. I would get off at 0600 and go straight to the gym, lift, and then go to bed. On my first day off I'd go home, sleep, then lift later in the day. I have always been able to balance work, working out, and family time. But it won't be easy if your wife isn't able to understand that your job and life depend on some level of fitness and that fitness doesn't appear out of then air, it takes a lot of work.

You won't make any real progress no matter how hard you work if you don't have a set pattern. Working out here and there gets you nowhere. You've got to regularly workout, regularly eat, and regularly sleep.

One solution would be to build your own home gym. It isn't any more expensive than a 1 year membership at most gyms, if you take your time, shop around, and buy wisely. I did it and have never looked back. Now I get home and lift right in my own home. I can help with family matters between sets and work my lifting around the family, although my family is supportive and gives me plenty of time and space to do what I need to do, most of the time.

Check Craigslist for a powerrack, dumbbells, barbell set, etc. Or if you're not into lifting and want the greatest conditioning workout on the planet, just buy a push-sled, a few weight plates, and call it a day. I built my own platform, and bought everything else dirt cheap. And I'm adding some homemade stuff here soon such as a cheap lat pull down. I don't have the links on this computer, but I will try to remember to come back and give you some links to some homemade strength equipment websites.

Comment

Thank you that what I have been thinking of doing just go workout. There been a lot of rumors about what the dept will do on the BMI. Some say that it will count a very small % of the overall score. Counting the push ups and sit ups and the jump of 16 inches and blood pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by BamaCounty View Post
        Thank you that what I have been thinking of doing just go workout. There been a lot of rumors about what the dept will do on the BMI. Some say that it will count a very small % of the overall score. Counting the push ups and sit ups and the jump of 16 inches and blood pressure.
        Let us know what type of workout you're interested in and the people here can provide a lot of options to choose from.

If they're using the BMI at all it's going to screw over anyone who isn't underweight. Be careful with blood pressure readings also. I had to have my BP taken once right after PT and of course it was high. They gave me a card to have doctors or nurses fill out, and made me have my BP taken something like 10 times over the course of 6 months or something and get the average. I have very good BP so it wasn't a problem, just an inconvenience. The reason I bring this up is because if the BP is taken at the wrong time it will be used against you, even if you're in good health.

Unless they are going to take your BP every day, during shift and after PT to track whether you actually have high BP, then they're only doing it for insurance reasons. I'm sure there is a bean counter somewhere who wants this all done in hopes that if they show you have a history of high BP, they can get out of the bill if you suffer a heart attack on duty.

At least they're doing something other than just a BMI. Push-ups, sit-ups, and a short jumo aren't much, but they're somewhat better than most departments do.

Comment

I'm a big fan of interval work. If you have limited time, doing your exercise to intervals would maximize the benefit you'd get from the exercise. You could do burpees, possibly with some variations, and other body weight exercises and get an amazing workout.

If you think bodyweight exercises aren't challenging enough, then you've probably been living under a rock. Think hand-stand pushups (with both or only one hand), planche pushups, pistol squats, ice creams, etc. Add some parallettes (easily made for <$20), or a suspension trainer (homemade ~$10, commercial made ~$100) to your gym and you have opened up a whole different level of self-induced torture.

My intervals are typically 20sec work 10sec rest for 25 minutes. You could probably up the intensity and cut the time in half. Up the intensity = make the exercise more difficult (increased pace, more range of motion, add weight, etc), reduce rest time, increase work time, etc.

My intervals are based on the Tabata protocol. A true Tabata protocol lasts only 4 minutes. I'm sure you could spare 4 minutes a day, no?
          Last edited by hopperja; 05-22-2012, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SOI View Post
            The first and most important thing you can do for yourself and everyone of your coworkers is convince your department how completely useless the BMI is. The BMI is completely unrealistic. It doesn't take into account actual body mass in any way, so those with muscle are punished as being "fat" or "obese". I bet some of your admin, who think themselves as studly, will think twice once the BMI tells them they're grotesque pigs.
            I agree. There has been a disclaimer that has accompanied the BMI for years now, which essentially states that it doesn't apply to athletes, but for some reason very few people seem to be aware of this fact.

According to the BMI, I am grossly obese at 5'10" 232lbs. Apparently a 36" waist makes me a beluga whale.
            Well you're not a whale, but to be fair, you're a long way from a fit figure with a 36" waist. Don't get me wrong; I'm not throwing stones here. I'm a 34" and was a 35" for many months after a bulking "phase" that went on for 3 times as long as I initially intended.
            Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them.

Comment

The BMI is BS. I agree with that.
              I'm 5'11" and at one time (my mid 20s) weighed 175lbs at 5% body fat....guess what? The BMI said that I should be like 145-155 lbs if I remember right. So, I was 20-30 lbs overweight according to them.

Bama, forget about the BMI stuff and focus on being committed to being/staying in top shape for your own health and of course, the type of work that we are in.

Shift work sucks and can take a toll on the body. That said, there are people who work swing shifts and still hit the gym daily. As SOI said, there are plenty of ways to get/stay conditioned.

For example, last night I did 1:00 of tire flips with either jumps on the tire or sprawls after every flip. 30 seconds of rest after each one minute round and only did 8 rounds. So, this whole workout lasted 12 minutes. I did jog a mile right after, but you get the point.

I like flipping my tire, its challenging and fun and gets my whole body working. Find something that you like, even if it is unconventional. This will help you stick to it.
              www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

The Army uses the BMI calculations if a person is over their height and weight allowance. This system is very inaccurate because a very muscular and physically fit individual will generally be over the BMI allowance. Anyway... Getting into a workout routine takes weeks of going consistently in order to be in a smooth routine. If you go here and there then it becomes hard to stay motivated and your workouts will be sporadic. I do a full body workout routine 3 days each week and if you look into a similar routine it will allow you to get into a steady workout routine that you will be likely to stick with and still allow you plenty of family time.

:::Current Status:::
                -Currently in the Regional Police Academy with an anticipated graduation date of 24 Feb 2014
                -Spent 10 months as a Deputy Sheriff-Custody before being accepted into the Regional Police Academy
                [[ Operation Enduring Freedom VII/VIII ]]

Comment

They got this so jacked up... They making us do a lung fu****ion test which I failed. I have to improve on this and of course the BMI which counts 5% on the overall score. I have one year to get it done. It's a have to deal now. I ran/walk 3.1 miles at a slow pace (12:45). I haven't been in the gym very much ( I know my own fault). I been sick and only way too get better is to run and workout.

Comment

Originally posted by BamaCounty View Post
                    They got this so jacked up... They making us do a lung fu****ion test which I failed. I have to improve on this and of course the BMI which counts 5% on the overall score. I have one year to get it done. It's a have to deal now. I ran/walk 3.1 miles at a slow pace (12:45). I haven't been in the gym very much ( I know my own fault). I been sick and only way too get better is to run and workout.

Good luck on your quest to get back to their standards. Don't forget what I said earlier about interval training. You can do amazing work in short amounts of time.

Comment

Google crossfit. I worked out today for 10 minutes and I was close to passing out 6 minutes into it. I will never go back to doing sets in a gym. It can be scaled down to whatever level or problems you may have and most, if not all, crossfit locations give big discounts to LE/FF. We have people in their 70s at the box I workout at and others who are in world class condition. All walks of life and levels can do it and you don't waste any time with it.

Comment

RUN! Take you 30 mins and then do 10 mins of pushups / situps / squats. Leaves you 20 mins to shower and youre done.

Comment

Originally posted by hopperja View Post
                          My intervals are typically 20sec work 10sec rest for 25 minutes. You could probably up the intensity and cut the time in half. Up the intensity = make the exercise more difficult (increased pace, more range of motion, add weight, etc), reduce rest time, increase work time, etc.
                          YES! Hopperja nailed this one. A common myth with working out is the longer the work out, the better. Thats not always the case. If you have high intensity, low rest work outs (or try some calisthenic exercises) you can get a good 15-20 minute exercise and accomplish just as much as someone who goes for an hour to the gym and does less reps, longer rest periods between sets. Additionally, a high intensity work out with short rest times will help burn fat and build lean muscle, and this would be perfect for your concern about the BMI. Also, these are great to do at home as most of the exercises require smaller weights for resistance or no weights at all, so you don't need to invest in alot of equipment.

I'd suggest going on Google or Youtube for some good calisthenic workouts to try out and see if they work for you. Good luck!

Comment

Check Craigslist for a powerrack, dumbbells, barbell set, etc. Or if you're not into lifting and want the greatest conditioning workout on the planet, just buy a push-sled, a few weight plates, and call it a day. I built my own platform, and bought everything else dirt cheap. And I'm adding some homemade stuff here soon such as a cheap lat pull down. I don't have the links on this computer, but I will try to remember to come back and give you some links to some homemade strength equipment websites.
                            my garage gym is gonna be up and running in about 3 wks....just waiting on my bumpers and barbell, then laying down some horse stall mats to get started.

i'd be interested in those links if you can post them. I'd like to get a platform built eventually....but first i need jerk boxes and pull boxes.

i tossed around the idea of using plaster buckets full of cement to pull from....you got a better idea?

Comment

I been doing good so far. On my day off I go to the gym and do a 5k and do 20mins of weight training. Also my time getting less and less for my 5k run. However I don't wake up until 1pm and its hot outside so I jump on the treadmill and have the incline at 2.5% . I force myself too do the 5k and I think of it like this faster I do this run the faster I can get my butt back in bed. LOL. That works LOL.

I can't do the whole hour thing doing lifting. My ADD kicks in .

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2234 users online. 141 members and 2093 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X