300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/3/1

I'm about to start Wendler's 5/3/1 program. I'm wondering who else has used the program and liked it?

I did starting strength once and liked it, but I like the structure of this program a little more.

When I went to the academy I lost 30 pounds and got much weaker. Then after the academy and for the last few months I've been at a (don't laugh at me) planet fitness. It SUCKS! That's a whole other topic altogether. I am in great shape relative to last time I did a real lifting program, but much weaker. I think 5/3/1 seems good for someone that knows how to lift, but is going to start light again.

Anyway, I finally found a gym that suits my needs, and can't wait to get under the iron again.

I ran it for 3 cycles starting fall of last year. I have been off it for a few months. I needed to take more time to do my martial arts and was less strict with my lifting. I ran it for every thing but bench. My only lift not better for runming it is bench...

The volume is a little much on deadlifts for ME. Once I was repping out with over my former max it was too much. I had trouble beimg too sore to kick or do throws right. I went from 365 max to 415 in 3 cycles at 165. I am staryimg back up since 2 weeks ago and am going to shoot for 495 by years end. But martial arts is priorty so we'll see how that goes.

Did you get the 2nd edition book? Check out tnation for some good info on the forum about 531.
    Last edited by NORCOCOP; 04-17-2012, 07:37 AM.

Comment

I think I have 1st edition. It's from 2009.

I browse T-nation, and I enjoy reading a few articles including Wendler's.

Comment

I may have mispoke on my number of cycles I think it was 4 not 3.

Good luck and have fun at it.

Comment

I've used 5/3/1 several times and love it. I'm currently on it now and I have no plans to switch.

Also check out http://www.jimwendler.com/ . He regularly posts advice on conditioning and other topics.

Edit: Also, check out this program:

http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/1316
          Last edited by SOI; 04-18-2012, 09:17 PM.

Comment

i ran the program for about 8-12 months, in different variations, depending what else i had going on.....i did 3-4 days when concentrating on lifting, but when doing more cardio to improve run times or to make time for BJJ I backed it off to 2 days/2 lifts per day.

My only problem, and it seems like youre in a different situation, was that i did it coming RIGHT off of SS. The decreased squat volume and low starting weight had an adverse effect on me....I should have started closer to my true 1rm than what Wendler programs.

Wendler posted a variation where you would be squatting twice (i think) per week, that I was doing for a short time before turning my attention toward olympic lifting. If I were to use his program again, I would go back to that variation. EDIT: T NATION | Blood and Chalk Vol 9: Jim Wendler Talks Big Weights

Only real suggestion I think I have, is to keep real good records/notes on your lifting days
            Last edited by Dr. Peebody; 04-19-2012, 12:17 PM. Reason: LINK

Comment

I usually squat 2-3 times per week also. Once as prescribed on 531 and again with more reps and a little less weight with a few heavy singles mixed in (if I am up to it). It just depends on how much kicking I am doing in class and how heavy my 531 squats and deadlifts were for the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Item9 View Post
                Then after the academy and for the last few months I've been at a (don't laugh at me) planet fitness. It SUCKS!
                Yes it does.

- Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

I had to laugh at the above video because, quite frankly, it's pretty much the pot calling the kettle black. The "lunk" is telling the Planet Fitness guy that everyone in the gym should be treated equally no matter what their level is. That's what made me laugh. You take a sweat-shop gym with a bunch of "lunks" and a newbie comes in after the first of the year, it's like lambs to a slaughter, LOL. Sorry, it's late. I'm sleepy. And I thought it was funny.
                  Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
                    I had to laugh at the above video because, quite frankly, it's pretty much the pot calling the kettle black. The "lunk" is telling the Planet Fitness guy that everyone in the gym should be treated equally no matter what their level is. That's what made me laugh. You take a sweat-shop gym with a bunch of "lunks" and a newbie comes in after the first of the year, it's like lambs to a slaughter, LOL. Sorry, it's late. I'm sleepy. And I thought it was funny.
                    Sure, those of us who actually have some drive and determination get fed up with the spineless New Years Resolution crybabies who stick around just long enough to take up all the equipment and cause overcrowding for a few weeks. But most "lunks" are the friendliest, easiest to get along with people in the gym, because most of them would love to be asked questions by someone who is eager to learn and is willing to be taught. The stronger people are the friendlier they are in my experience. All most of them want is for someone to show some small modicum of dedication.

Comment

Originally posted by SOI View Post
                      Sure, those of us who actually have some drive and determination get fed up with the spineless New Years Resolution crybabies who stick around just long enough to take up all the equipment and cause overcrowding for a few weeks. But most "lunks" are the friendliest, easiest to get along with people in the gym, because most of them would love to be asked questions by someone who is eager to learn and is willing to be taught. The stronger people are the friendlier they are in my experience. All most of them want is for someone to show some small modicum of dedication.
                      yeah, from what i've seen around the gym, there is a positive correlation between how strong/knowledgable someone is and their level of friendliness.

the only thing that gets us lunks (i'm a lunk in spirit only, not size) fired up is people acting dangerously or inconsiderately. clean up after yourself, and you don't need a power rack for dumbell lunges.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
                        yeah, from what i've seen around the gym, there is a positive correlation between how strong/knowledgable someone is and their level of friendliness.

the only thing that gets us lunks (i'm a lunk in spirit only, not size) fired up is people acting dangerously or inconsiderately. clean up after yourself, and you don't need a power rack for dumbell lunges.
                        Been to gyms, "hard core" and otherwise all over the country, 20 years +, and by and large, people are either friendly or simply mind their own business. People that say/think otherwise have (1) never actually been to such gyms for extended periods or (2) have some personal insecurities.

I hear that, and when I push them for an example, it's always something like "I feel like people are staring at me" or something like that.

Bottom line is, the worst hard core gym "lunk" filled gym is far better on all levels - including being high judgmental of others - than PF. I give you example A, which is (1) VERY funny and (2) has to be seen to believed:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...cled-americans

FYI, I was consulted by the producers for this segment.
                        - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8736 users online. 170 members and 8566 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X