Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing Bench Press without weights

Hello everyone,
    I am currently around 5'10 and 160 pounds or so and only a few months away from applying with a few police agencies. I am able to pass the long distance run, sprint, and sit-up portions of the physical exam with flying colors but the bench press is another story. I need to be able to bench 106% (170 pounds) once and can only do about 150-160 depending on the day. I have a few months to train but have access to a bench press and weights only 1 time a week. I am able to do pushups without much issue (I do about 100-150 when I workout in sets of 30) but they don't seem to translate to a better bench press weight so I need recommendations to increase my bench press using exercises that involve no weights or equipment.
    Thanks for reading

The only way I know to increase the bench is to do the bench press. I've heard decline push ups (putting your feet up on something) and weighted push ups can help also.
    Originally posted by RSGSRT
    We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
    Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Well what does your workout look like? One day of hard chest a week is more than enough to increase your bench.

Also just curious what agencies you are applying for? I noticed you are in PA and the mpoetc standards are 93% of your body weight. Not saying your wrong just that you might be fine with your current regiment.

Comment

I am looking in to Philadelphia. I was under the impression that I needed to be in the 50th percentile according to this chart: http://phillypolice.com/assets/docs/...ments.2008.pdf
        Upon second look it does say only 30th percentile. Why note the 50th percentile then? Is their some sort of added incentive for scoring in the 50th percentile?
        To answer your question about the chest workout, I generally do push-ups in sets of 40 or more if I can. I also use the iron gym pullup bar which, if you lay it on the ground properly, allows you to do deeper pushups.
        Last edited by futurecop28; 02-20-2012, 08:01 PM.

Comment

I recommend looking into a weighted vest which you can purchase @ any sporting goods supply store and it being not to hard on your wallet. Once you purchase it slap it on and hit the deck get your face in the sand and crank your push-ups out.. Good luck and remember mind over matter! If you get to the bench and let your mind syke you out your done...
          Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none - William Shakespeare
          Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.- James Mattis
          It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. - Lt. Gen. George S. Patton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cFL80PN3wA&sns=em

Comment

[QUOTE=duqjeep2010;2993075]Well what does your workout look like? One day of hard chest a week is more than enough to increase your bench.

+1 Do core body exercises such as Bench(Dumbell and Barbell(Close, Power, and Wide Grip) Rows, Overhead press, Lat Pulldowns, and the best in my opinion is weighted Tricep Dips. I never have better gains on my bench when I rotate these into my upper body routine. Good luck my friend. Get aggressive and get it done.
            Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Comment

If you have a few months and one day a week with access to an actual bench press you should be just fine. Push ups will not give you a better bench. They may give you some pump and chest development but will not translate to an over bodyweight bench. If you can do weighted dips and pullups concentrate on those on the days you are doing upper body sans a bench.

I would not be doing all of the fluff recommended above to get a better regular bench press. Watch the video series "so you think you can bench" on you tube and learn how to actually bench right. That alone may give you 10-20 pounds more with technique adjustment alone. A big back and good shoulders are essential to a good bench. They provide the stability necessary to move bigger weights. Forget the hundreds of pushup stuff for awhile so your body can recoupe and only do your chest and shoulders 1/2 days a week. If you push you pull, as in every set of military press or bench is followed by a set of pull ups or good heavy bent rows.

You will not get out of balance and will have time to recoup and build muscle. You can go back to doing what ever floats your boat once you have attained a respectable bench. At your body weight you should be doing a MINIMUN of 130/150 percent body weight to just have enough strength to keep up with an average non working out street guy in the 200 weight range. You are not going to get to pick you suspects and their size and almost everyone you run into is going to be stronger than you at this point.

That is just a fact. You should not have to taser everyone one you tussle with just because you can't hang with the average crap head.

I think you should honestly look into a legit strength and conditioning program like starting strength or any actual program that involves getting stonger and makes sense. Don't waste the best years of your life wandering lost in the dessert of bro science and gym rats with they could haves and has beens. Get onto a program and stick with it the real ones work and there is a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by futurecop28 View Post
                I am looking in to Philadelphia. I was under the impression that I needed to be in the 50th percentile according to this chart: http://phillypolice.com/assets/docs/...ments.2008.pdf
                Upon second look it does say only 30th percentile. Why note the 50th percentile then? Is their some sort of added incentive for scoring in the 50th percentile?
                To answer your question about the chest workout, I generally do push-ups in sets of 40 or more if I can. I also use the iron gym pullup bar which, if you lay it on the ground properly, allows you to do deeper pushups.
                Most of those percentiles are divided up. Sometimes you just need 30% to get into the academy, ad 50% by the time you graduate.
                "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
                I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

Originally posted by futurecop28 View Post
                  Hello everyone,
                  I am currently around 5'10 and 160 pounds or so and only a few months away from applying with a few police agencies. I am able to pass the long distance run, sprint, and sit-up portions of the physical exam with flying colors but the bench press is another story. I need to be able to bench 106% (170 pounds) once and can only do about 150-160 depending on the day. I have a few months to train but have access to a bench press and weights only 1 time a week. I am able to do pushups without much issue (I do about 100-150 when I workout in sets of 30) but they don't seem to translate to a better bench press weight so I need recommendations to increase my bench press using exercises that involve no weights or equipment.
                  Thanks for reading
                  The best way to increase bench press is to bench press, at least for newbies/non advanced trainers. You will not see appreciable improvements in 1RM bench press by push ups or other BW only exercise and once a week is all you need.
                  - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4621 users online. 338 members and 4283 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X