Clear All

• Diet Critique

I'm looking for a little diet critique.

Breakfast:

2 eggs
    4 egg whites
    2 pieces of whole wheat toast with light butter

Snack:

Light yogurt (fruit on the bottom style)
    OR
    Fruit (apple, orange, banana)

Lunch:

2 pieces of whole wheat toast
    1 can of tuna (packed in water)
    1 serving Miracle Whip lite

Snack:

Yogurt
    OR
    Fruit

Dinner:

Chicken breast w/ serving of veggies or pasta
    OR
    Tuna Sandwich (like lunch)
    W/ Yogurt or Fruit

Snack:

Yogurt
    OR
    Fruit

Sometimes I throw in some low fat mozzarella string cheese as a snack in there. When I go to cardio in the mornings on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays - I'll have yogurt and a piece of fruit right when I wake up before I go to get something in my system.

I drinking nothing but Pepsi Max (zero calorie) limited as much as possible (I need caffeine) or water.

Exercise is cardio (exercise bike or elliptical) 3-5 times a week for 30-40 minutes at a time in the morning and weight lifting 2-3 times a week at night after work. I can't run yet until I get clearance from the doctor after surgery from my leg.

Goal: Lower my body fat percentage as much as possible as quickly as possible while keeping my muscle mass up.

Does this sound good?
    Last edited by Aerohead; 11-12-2011, 11:52 AM.
    "We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles." -- RSGSRT

Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

why are you eating so many times?

do you have any idea what your daily caloric intake is?

constant ingestion of caffeine throughout the day is not going to benefit you.

What exactly do you want critiqued on? Are you loosing weight? Is your diet consistent? Is your training consistent?

With knowing next to nothing about you, theres very little if anything to extract from your post.

Comment

Ok, I broke down what I had yesterday which is also what I plan on having today - which is consistently what I've been eating for the past few weeks (above), except on days that I lift weights which I have a protein shake afterwards.

Calories: 1,357
      Carbs: 175.7 g
      Protein: 94.5 g
      Fat: 28.2 g

The protein shake adds 10 g carbs, 50 g protein, 4 g fat, and 280 calories.

The only deviation is when I have chicken instead of tuna sandwiches or I have low-fat string cheese as a snack in between meals. Calories have stayed below 1,600.

My stats: 6'3" and 280 lbs. Body fat is around 19% using online calculators and measuring, but those are entirely inaccurate. I would like to drop my weight down as quickly as possible. I was thinking of upping my cardio to 6 days/week.

Caffeine is just in the morning.

I think my calories are too low but I feel like I'm eating enough good food spaced out throughout the day.

Does this help any? Thanks in advance!
      "We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles." -- RSGSRT

Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

I'm no dietitian, but my educated opinion is that you have way too few calories and not enough protein. You also only have 1 serving of veggies or pasta - you should eat more greens!

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm - take a look at that. I put you in as 25, exercising 5 times a week, and EXTREME weight loss has you at 2240 calories a day.

Also check out:
        http://swole.me/ You can design a diet depending on calories and select the common foods that you would like to use for each meal. It breaks down the macros for you, and you can change them depending on what you want.
        Last edited by Item9; 11-12-2011, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Sweet - thanks! I'll definitely check it out!

Comment

You are consuming way too few Kcal to lose weight in a healthy manner. Include lots of colors in your diet and lead a healthy lifestyle not some quick fix which won't last for long!

Comment

Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
              You are consuming way too few Kcal to lose weight in a healthy manner. Include lots of colors in your diet and lead a healthy lifestyle not some quick fix which won't last for long!
              Thanks Gray!

Right now I'm trying to get into as good as shape as quickly as possible for a possible February police academy. I was laid up for a while due to testing on my leg and the leg surgery that followed. I'm in recovery mode AND training mode now at the same time. My normal diet doesn't deviate much from this as I've been eating close to this for a long time now but my weight has remained stagnant which is why I dropped the overall calories and became more restrictive. Even when I eat out I try to make the healthiest choices as possible.

Does anyone have any good ideas on where I can add more calories? I agree I need to add more vegetables into the mix.

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                Calories: 1,357
                Carbs: 175.7 g
                Protein: 94.5 g
                Fat: 28.2 g

The protein shake adds 10 g carbs, 50 g protein, 4 g fat, and 280 calories.

Calories have stayed below 1,600.

Goal: Lower my body fat percentage as much as possible as quickly as possible while keeping my muscle mass up.
                You're eating about half the protein you need in order to sustain a lifting routine. About half the calories too.

You're may lower your body weight quickly, but you're not eating properly to keep your muscle mass up.

My stats: 6'3" and 280 lbs. Body fat is around 19% using online calculators and measuring, but those are entirely inaccurate.

I think my calories are too low but I feel like I'm eating enough good food spaced out throughout the day.
                I'm only 5'10" 205lbs, and if I ate as little as you, I'd be about 170lbs. So ya, you'll drop weight quickly, but you may be weak for the academy, especially if you're working out hard. You'll be worn out. Sure you feel good now, but that won't last.

I would like to drop my weight down as quickly as possible.

I was thinking of upping my cardio to 6 days/week.
                Don't do this.

What is your realistic weight goal? 260?

Comment

First of all - thank you for taking the time to reply.

Honestly - my #1 goal is to make sure that I'm at or below the 20% body fat by the time I take the medical exam for the police department I'm in the process with. I'm scared to death that I won't be due to the time I had to take off for all of the testing for my leg.

#2 goal is to be prepared physically for the police academy if I'm lucky enough to be selected.

Hopefully, I will get medical clearance to run again when I see the doctor next week - I'm already up to 40 minutes on the elliptical 5 days a week.

I've been trying to up my protein intake without adding fat without much success - is there anything you can suggest to help me out? I'm pretty much lost right now. There is so much information out there I don't know what to do anymore. I'm completely stressing out due to time constraints. This leg problem and surgery really set me back.

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                    I've been trying to up my protein intake without adding fat without much success - is there anything you can suggest to help me out? I'm pretty much lost right now. There is so much information out there I don't know what to do anymore. I'm completely stressing out due to time constraints. This leg problem and surgery really set me back.
                    Yes. Substitute all of your Fruit on the Bottom yogurt with 0% Fat Greek Yogurt (Chobani has the most protein at my food store). That's good for at least an extra 10g of protein. Depending on the type of Fruit on the Bottom yogurt you eat, you'll also be upping your caloric intake with Greek Yogurt, which you need as well.

Comment

I would add some type of nuts in for snacks

Comment

Originally posted by SOI View Post
                        You're eating about half the protein you need in order to sustain a lifting routine. About half the calories too.
                        Agreed

Comment

Not too much info out on the subject but research the CKD diet (cyclic ketogenic diet) Basically it is a ketogenic diet (no carbs) 5.5 days a week and the other day and a half you are carb loading as much as you can. It plays heavily off of the glucose-insulin response. No carbs keep your glucose low, which keeps insulin low and allows fat to be burned as a primary energy source.. When you carb load, your body isn't expecting to use them for energy expenditure, so it uses them to replenish your muscles. I've only stuck with it once, and had real good results doing so. Didn't lose much on my lifts or size, but trimmed off plenty of the extra fat. I've also had a great experience with 'Roxylean' supplement.

Edit: Also stay away from steady state cardio. Try mixing it up with high intensity interval training. You don't have to be able to run to do it, you can do it on the bike or elliptical. You can start off on the bike doing 2 minutes light pedal, 1 minute at a little bit of a faster pace, 30 seconds sprint. That's one interval. Start by trying to complete 5 intervals, and work your way upto completing 30 minutes at that interval. After you are sucessfully able to do that work your way upto 1 minute light, 30 second sprint alternating upto 20 minutes. If you stick with it you will certainly see the fat fly off.
                          Last edited by Scottydons87; 12-19-2011, 11:52 AM.
                          “He who can have patience can have what he will.”
                          ― Benjamin Franklin

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9964 users online. 351 members and 9613 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                          X