300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• melatonin anyone?

what better place to ask than a forum with people workin crazy shifts. I currently have a little dificulty waking up not tired. Anyone here take melatonin or any other sleep aid that helps?
    "Nobody asks to be a hero, it just sometimes turns out that way"

Originally posted by FutureWarrior View Post
    what better place to ask than a forum with people workin crazy shifts. I currently have a little dificulty waking up not tired. Anyone here take melatonin or any other sleep aid that helps?
    I've taken it before a few times but didn't like it. I felt really weird when it started to kick in and I didn't feel like I slept all that well. Plus, every time I take it, I have an upset stomach the next morning.

More recently, I have been taking Benadril about 30 min before going to bed and it helps my allergies and my sleep. I fall asleep faster once it kicks in and my first several hours are pretty solid. I just went back to nights Monday and am still readjusting. I am falling asleep about 0830 and sleeping till maybe 1430 before I wake up on my own and fight myself back to sleep. Make sure your sleeping environment is set up right, too. I have thick blankets over my windows, close all the doors in my house (even though I live alone), turn on every vent fan (bathroom and stove) for white noise, and then have a sound machine. These all help me.
    Originally posted by Ceridwen
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

I took it religiously last year when I was on mids. It doesn't make you sleep as much as it helps keep you asleep. Without it, I found myself waking up within a few hours and find it hard to fall back alseep and then wanting to go to sleep again at night. It occurs naturally in the body - some people have more, some less. It helps your body adjust to sleeping during the day when it naturally wants to be awake. I didn't have any side effects. I purchased the "Nature's Own" brand and took one right when I got home from work and went to bed within 30 minutes and I was able to sleep a solid 7 hours. White noise and blankets over the windows is essential also, as stated above. Also - exercise is VERY important as well as keeping your schedule on your nights off, or at least as close to it as possible, when working mids.

Good luck!

Edited to add: It's "Nature's Best" brand, not "Nature's Own"...I was close...
      Last edited by Aerohead; 11-13-2011, 01:14 PM.
      Originally posted by RSGSRT
      We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
      Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
        I took it religiously last year when I was on mids. It doesn't make you sleep as much as it helps keep you asleep. Without it, I found myself waking up within a few hours and find it hard to fall back alseep and then wanting to go to sleep again at night.
        Same experience here. I also won't take it if I'm not going to get more than 7 hours of sleep. Usually if I wake up after taking it and it's been less than 7 or 8 hours, I'm extremely groggy for a while.

I also have more vivid dreams when I'm on it, but that could be related to not waking up every 2 hours.

It was the best thing I had when I went to midnights. Now I'm on days, and I'll still take it when I need to get my sleep schedule back in order like after a long weekend or if I had 2 late nights and want a 9 hour night of sleep.

Edit: I also 2nd the importance of exercise to get a better night's sleep. I struggle to sleep on days when I don't work out, because I'm just not that tired when bedtime rolls around.

Comment

thanks alot fellas. im gonna try to make my room a bit darker, and i definetly have a white noise going constantly. pure silence kills me and makes if impossible to sleep. luckily my girl agrees.o
          "Nobody asks to be a hero, it just sometimes turns out that way"

Comment

I take 6 mg of melatonin every morning when I get off. I love the stuff! I buy the cheap Phamassure brand Rite Aid carries, it seems to work the best for me. Theanine also helps me fall asleep.
            1*

Comment

I took it while working midnights for a year. Natural melatonin production is assisted by sunlight and working midnights you don't get much of that. It helped me immensely but as you see from the above posts, it's not for everyone. Give it a shot, you never know.

Comment

Melatonin/Childrens Benadryl every morning.
                Also take L-Tryptophan now and then for a trifecta.
                Melatonin helps keep me knocked out for at least six hours.
                Without it I'll wake up often.

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                  I took it religiously last year when I was on mids. It doesn't make you sleep as much as it helps keep you asleep. Without it, I found myself waking up within a few hours and find it hard to fall back alseep and then wanting to go to sleep again at night. It occurs naturally in the body - some people have more, some less. It helps your body adjust to sleeping during the day when it naturally wants to be awake. I didn't have any side effects. I purchased the "Nature's Own" brand and took one right when I got home from work and went to bed within 30 minutes and I was able to sleep a solid 7 hours. White noise and blankets over the windows is essential also, as stated above. Also - exercise is VERY important as well as keeping your schedule on your nights off, or at least as close to it as possible, when working mids.

Good luck!
                  +1100

I use Benadryl when I absolutely HAVE to sleep..........but normally Melatonin relaxes me enough to sleep AND get back to sleep after the 2 AM potty break.

Benadryl always gives me a bit of a hangover effect so I only use it when absolutely necessary.

If you do a search on Melatonin on this forum you will find several references in the last couple years
                  My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Melatonin is hit and miss for me, as is valerian. Kava works pretty well, especially with two tablets. When I need to go to bed early and really have to sleep, a Benadryl on an empty stomach and a shot of whiskey does the trick.
                    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

ZMA......

it doesn't make you tired, but when you take it before sleep you sleep very deeply very quickly.....

i find that when i take it, i only need @ 5-6 hrs sleep to feel fully rested......no hangover effect.

the dreams are VERY intense and disturbing at first, but they go away

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2162 users online. 126 members and 2036 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X