300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossfit

Does anyone else here do Crossfit? I had been lifting for 3+ years before, but just started Crossfit yesterday and it destroyed me, in a good way. Definitely going to keep doing it as I feel it's the best preparation for the Academy. Thoughts?

Don't follow it to religiously. Use your best judgement on the workouts and listen to your body.

Comment

deleted......

Comment

It's funny. Me 4 years ago (pre-academy) would say "yes, do Crossfit and forsake all other programs." Now, years later, with a little more experience I say, Crossfit is great for what it tries to do, but not always accomplish. Like someone said, take what you can from it and move on. Every program has it's benefits and it's up to you as an educated member of the fitness community to take what you can and move towards your goals.

For what it's worth the Crossfit Football program is pretty sweet.
        This is for all you new people. I only have one rule: everyone fights, no one quits. You don't do your Job i'll shoot you myself.

Comment

Originally posted by John5689 View Post
          Does anyone else here do Crossfit? I had been lifting for 3+ years before, but just started Crossfit yesterday and it destroyed me, in a good way. Definitely going to keep doing it as I feel it's the best preparation for the Academy. Thoughts?
          On a search, you will find a few threads on CF with opinions of the +/- of CF. Good luck.
          - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Crossfit is excellent at making you good at crossfit workouts...

Comment

Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
              Crossfit is excellent at making you good at crossfit workouts...
              So you would disagree that the program is functional fitness oriented? Is there a good program that focuses on the functional fitness aspect?

Comment

Come on guys like anything else it depends on yours goals, needs, equipment, level of fitness, and available facilities.etc.ect. There is no blanket answer.

Just like martial arts just because someone who does a specific MA is the champ does not mean going to a gym that does that MA is going to make you good fighter. It depends on the instructor you have, your application of what is taught, your abilities both natrual and gained, and millions of other factors.

The system (crossfit) has some more technical lifts built into it. Miss-application or performance of them will not net the same results as what you may desire. It may lead to injuries aslo. I see tons of the personal trainers and their cronies running through these styles of programs. It is quiet humorous. Don't have someone running around doing squats, deadlifts, and a bunch of other non sense all performed poorly. Hip mobilty, shoulder mobility, core strength, and such factors can really come into play in proper performance of . Telling just anyone to pick up a bar and do xyz may not be the best idea.

Everyone sees results for the first few years of liftiing as long as they show up a few times a week and do something. Get good at the basic lifts and do conditioning work for awhile. Then modify based on your needs after you have a base line to compare the results to. It's not a sprint to health and fitness, it's a winding journey. Look online and see what others accomplish in a few short years based on a given program and see if it seems to meet your needs. Now after a good run at the given program compare your results and tweak what needs tweeking.

The wheel has been invented for quiet some time, if someone starts indicating they've invented a new wheel. Well do the math. How do you think these fitness gurus make money?

Figuring out how to perform movements righ by either working with a knowlegable partner or referencing reliable materials would be first and most important for longevities sake.

I was speaking a lady at my MA schoold last week who took up the running in skeletoes on a whim and now has several stress fracures and tendon issues needing surgery. My point is do some real digging and research prior to doing something because an internet Arnold said it worked wonders for him. Compare and evaluate its gonna be a lot of crap to sift through but it is worth the front end effort,

Comment

Originally posted by NORCOCOP View Post
                  I was speaking a lady at my MA schoold last week who took up the running in skeletoes on a whim and now has several stress fracures and tendon issues needing surgery. My point is do some real digging and research prior to doing something because an internet Arnold said it worked wonders for him. Compare and evaluate its gonna be a lot of crap to sift through but it is worth the front end effort,
                  Sounds like this person may have had some issues prior or was running and ignoring any obvious sign there was something wrong. She was probably trying to run with a heel strike and was not using proper barefoot/minimalist form.

Comment

Originally posted by John5689 View Post

In my case... I'm driven by competition. Being able to work out with other people is one of the main reasons I decided to try Crossfit. I can work out by myself and my work outs / runs are so so... No matter how hard I push myself, I will always push myself further when there is someone running faster than I am...

I'm not saying Crossfit is for everyone, but if you do the workouts correctly and you enjoy competing, then it will more than likely be ample prep for your upcoming Academy.

Comment

Originally posted by Coogan View Post
                      In my case... I'm driven by competition. Being able to work out with other people is one of the main reasons I decided to try Crossfit. I can work out by myself and my work outs / runs are so so... No matter how hard I push myself, I will always push myself further when there is someone running faster than I am...

I'm not saying Crossfit is for everyone, but if you do the workouts correctly and you enjoy competing, then it will more than likely be ample prep for your upcoming Academy.
                      I think Crossfit is good, especially when combine with some distance running and weight training apart from it. I know a few departments have begun using it as a major component of PT in my area, and there is nowhere else to prepare for Crossfit workouts than at a Crossfit. Anyway, good luck.

Comment

read this for some good insight...

http://strengthvillain.com/?p=919#more-919

Comment

Originally posted by goosethebird View Post
                          read this for some good insight...

http://strengthvillain.com/?p=919#more-919
                          Great article Goose.
                          I've actually started up my second cycle of Greyskull LP for the year due to some of these points being made on their forums by LEO's who are members.

Comment

Was kind of already said here, but CF is great for making you mediocre at everything. Is it beneficial to a guy looking to get into something from virtually nothing? Sure, but you'll realize there is still a lot to be desired. The major problem is there is no concrete answer as to what the finest system or methods around are; you kind of have to decide what it is you're deficient at and make that your strong point. CF simply does not result in you being optimal at everything.
                            fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true

Comment

Crossfit will get the job done in preparing you for the academy as far as overall fitness, but I found after starting crossfit I actually got worse in some areas (went from 9:45 mile and a half to 10:30, and my strict pullups dropped) with little gains to my strength, but my overall cardiovascular endurance increased as well as my recovery time decreased. I did it for about 2 years and have recently quit to follow a strength and conditioning program (Greyskull LP) which I have found great success with. Then again, it is all about you and what your goals are, just be careful I have seen a lot of people injury themselves while performing metcons because they let their form deteriorate in order to get a good time.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4253 users online. 266 members and 3987 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X