Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Run ever run with a 20lbs weight vest?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Run ever run with a 20lbs weight vest?

I was thinking about purchasing one for my hill days and my long run days. Speed days probably not; so has anyone ever run in one? Benefits?

...staring at Srt and GrayPatriot for answer

You two are the ones I look to for these answers.
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
    ...staring at Srt and GrayPatriot for answer

You two are the ones I look to for these answers.
    Oh well.
    www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

Dude I want everyones opinion. Please share your thoughts brother. You have been around for a bit and have valuable information.
      MDRDEP:

Comment

I've never run with a "weight vest" per se, but I have logged quite a few miles with an interceptor vest with full E-SAPI plates and camelback, probably about 25-30 lbs of gear.

Like you said, its not the best for speed training days. But when I was into some hard core training, I would 1 long run a week, with the my body armor, and it would smoke me. After a while, I got bored and started running every so often with my vest and ALICE pack loaded with some sandbags. That hurt!!!

I'm not a fitness expert, but I noticed that after running with weights, my legs and upper body were getting much stronger, and the days I ran without weight I would be faster. On the flip side, I hurt myself more than once. I rolled my ankle and had to stop training for almost 2 weeks, I also pulled my back being stupid and trying to do weight + stairs.

I had alot of fun with it, and it seemed to work well.
        I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Dude I want everyones opinion. Please share your thoughts brother. You have been around for a bit and have valuable information.

I like the weighted vest (I have a 20 lb one myself) for some conditioning things like sprints (or hill sprints) and burpees. It really helps ramp up the intensity. I would not recommend long endurance types of runs in them.

Also, it would increase resistance for bodyweight training, especially if done in circuits (for example, back to back sets of pullups, pushups, body rows and dips).

I think it is a nice tool to add to increase difficulty/intensity, but I wouldnt use it daily.
          www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

As brownj21 said, they can add intensity to short sprints or basic hill repeats. I would not wear one for longer speedwork sessions over 100 meters and definitely never for a standard run. I actually recommend this to cops and firefighters because it helps simulate a "work" load while doing exercise that is similar to what you'd encounter on the job.

Here's two preferred weight vest work-outs:

1) Descending ladder drill. Set up cones at 10m, 20m, 30m, 40m and 50m. From a standing start (to simulate real life more accurately) sprint out to the 50m line at roughly 95% intensity. Rest 50 seconds. Sprint back to start. Rest 50 seconds. Sprint out to 40m. Rest 40 seconds. Back. Sprint to 30m and rest 30 seconds. So forth and so on. This drill builds launch strength and efficiency. It will also kick your butt in short order.

2) "Hill Crashers". Find a hill that takes about 30 seconds to sprint up. At the base, lay down on your stomach facing up hill. At the "go", jump up and sprint to the top of the hill. On a normal hill repeat, you'd then jog down the hill, but when you're carrying an extra 20 lbs, that can cause some issues on it's own. Instead, rest for 30 seconds at the top then lay down on your back with your feet aimed down hill. At the "go", get to your feet by crunching up, then run (not sprint) down the hill. During the descent, bend your knees deeply to absorb the shock, concentrate on a mid-foot strike, and allow gravity to pull you down the hill. If you're doing it right, you will remain perpendicular to the hill side and will accelerate on the way down. Make sure this descent is controlled but barely. At the bottom rest 30 seconds and reset. Do 4 to 6 repeats of these. This drill teaches control and flexibility on the way down and strength and endurance on the way up.

Side note: both of these workouts should only be done after a thorough warm-up routine.

Final note: If you're looking to increase cadence and "lighten" your step during your runs, try adding ankle weights to an EZ mid-distance run. Make sure they're not too heavy and only do it once every couple weeks. The heavier feet will activate more muscle fibers that will lead to a faster turnover rate when not weighted.
            Originally posted by kontemplerande
            Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Everyone Thank you so much. I'm glad you warned me about the long runs- thats when I thought I should wear it.
              Much appreciated!!!
              MDRDEP:

Comment

Everyone Thank you so much. I'm glad you warned me about the long runs- thats when I thought I should wear it.
                Much appreciated!!!
                I know of people who have run long with one of these vests, but the added weight can cause your form to get screwy, especially once you tire. Once your form gets sloppy, injuries aren't far behind. Plus, the vests themselves tend to be a bit uncomfortable and ride weird while you're running. Putting any real distance in while wearing one will tend to cause hot spots, abrasions, and definitely sore shoulders. Its ok during the short events, but any kind of distance will magnify the potential issues of wearing one.

Comment

would 2 kids in a double jogger (aprox 80lbs) count????
                  The sooner you understand that all your base are belongs to me the better off you will be.

Comment

Originally posted by NHNSP_ADMIN View Post
                    would 2 kids in a double jogger (aprox 80lbs) count????
                    That's actually a great way to add additional weight to a long run. I've known several competitive runners who bought a jogging stroller who didn't have kids. They'd load sandbags into it and push it around town on a run. Because the weight is in front of you and on its own wheels, it doesn't have the negative impact of a heavy vest bouncing up and down on you as you run.

Comment

That's actually a great way to add additional weight to a long run. I've known several competitive runners who bought a jogging stroller who didn't have kids. They'd load sandbags into it and push it around town on a run. Because the weight is in front of you and on its own wheels, it doesn't have the negative impact of a heavy vest bouncing up and down on you as you run.
                      I occasionally load up a wheelbarrow and push it around our block like this.

I also do "sprints" pushing my Wrangler (by the spare) while my wife steers, amuses herself by braking.

M-11
                      “All men dream...... But not equally..
                      Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                      but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                      for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                        I occasionally load up a wheelbarrow and push it around our block like this.

I also do "sprints" pushing my Wrangler (by the spare) while my wife steers, amuses herself by braking.

M-11
                        I wish you lived on my block.

Comment

Agreed for sure on the distance running. Your knees will get trashed quickly. Try the hills and plyo jumps instead to build speed and explosive power. I do my plyo jumps with a 10-25 dumbell in each hand and it really dials up the intesity. I know a few guys who spar in their weight vests every once in a while. It is rough on the knees if you go too long or try anything that involves turning style kicks. Have fun with it.

Comment

Yeah, everyone got here first with their comments about avoiding using it on long runs.

Like Brownj21 and SRT were saying use a weighted vest for, pull ups, sprints, or burpee type exercises after you become proficient with them.

I have a drag sled (Sled with a harness that you can put weights on) and I used it for sprints. I would take it off for the last few sprints and I felt like I was flying like Usain Bolt - except older, whiter, and a whole lot slower :-)

Comment

I've not use a weight vest. However, I have held a 5 pound weight in each hand while running on my treadmill. They add a whole new dimension of difficulty to running!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8237 users online. 248 members and 7989 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X