300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting more 1.5 mile time...

Right now I'm running my 1.5 mile physical test run in about 10:30, being a 30 year old male. I'm hoping to get this time under 10:00 for a final PT test in the academy. I know it's only 30 seconds... but what do you think is the best way to accomplish this? Sprints/HIIT? Doing two or three mile distance runs at maximum effort?

Ideally I'd like to get it to 9:30, but I only have about 9-10 weeks to accomplish this.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

Have you tried interval training?

Comment

Run a 6:15 pace for as long as you can (up to 1.5 miles). When you think you have to quit, continue. When your body makes you quit, then quit. Take a short break then do it all over again, until you've run 1.5 miles. The next workout, run incrementally farther at the same pace. Reduce breaks between attempts. Do this 3 or 4 times per week.

I hate running that hard because it is SOOOO mentally challenging. However, I can do it if I need to. My typical academy time was around 9:20. I've run 4 miles at nearly that pace as recently as in the past few months. It's excruciatingly difficult, but can be done.

By the way, I'm not a runner. I'm overweight according to my BMI (28.3).

On your non-running days, do some strength training or cardio other than running. But, do it in intervals (HIIT). My preferred is Tabata (20 sec work/10 sec rest). I do all of my strength work to Tabata intervals.
      Last edited by hopperja; 06-02-2011, 12:57 AM.

Comment

I'm doing CrossFit, so most of my strength training is done at high intensity and intervals. I think that's what brought my time down from 11:15 on the hiring test to 10:30 on the first academy test. I'll try alternating some sprints and what you advised above...
        "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

Comment

^^^^

I'm the same way. but to edit I lift 5-6 days a week. I do hills on a cross trainer one day, Heavy bag consisting of kicks and punching drills on another day and the rower as well. I run 3 x a week 5+ miles on my run days. I always warm up and cool down on the recumbent bike for 10 minutes prior to main cardio after weights. I feel this and a clean diet has truly helped my distance.

But I am 265 6.3 and I don't see myself doing 9:30 1.5 anytime soon lol
          Last edited by jcioccke; 06-24-2011, 05:03 AM.
          MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

HIIT sprints will increase your VO2 max, recovery, and endurance. The more blood and O2 your body can use the more work you will be able to produce. Also sprint training will help Type IIa muscle fibers convert for your benefit.

Depending on your weekly training program and diet, you will probably only be able to get in sprints 1-2x/week with proper recovery to reap full benefits. Find a track, football field or park, mark out 70-100 yards at your preference. 10-15 intervals, hit the next interval when your about 90% recovered, focus on internal cues not external (ie: ignore the clock for rest)
            Sprints need to be all out 100% effort, if your doing them correctly you should be whipped by your 10th sprint

Comment

I found a public field near my house and started my sprints this week. I ran shuttle runs at about 12 yard intervals, and it nearly killed me. I thought about high school and college soccer and how 50 yard sprints used to be a brisk warmup. Not anymore!

I'm gonna keep doing the HIIT and some sprints each week and see if it helps my 1 1/2 mile time. I'd also like to get an under 10 minute time. My biggest problem is it's SO BORING! I'm trying to find a soccer league to play in. I know that would get my rear in gear.

Comment

I still play hockey often, so I'm sure the HIIT will help with the sudden bursts of speed required for skating. I'd so skating HIIT, but I need to focus on my run time, not my end-to-end backchecking time. Ha. We'll see how it helps my 1.5 time.

Comment

Interval training will increase your time. It improves anaerobic power and interval training also increases foot speed. Also, research Fartlek training...Remember a solid diet is just a key as running.

Comment

I subscribed to the Exodus method. I started doing a couple longer, slower runs a week, and it's decreasing the time on my mile 1/2.

I always run at the end of my lifting, so I'm usually exhausted (especially legs days!). It's always a pleasant surprise when I run my mile 1/2 after a couple days of rest and cut my time way down.

Comment

As others have stated...intervals work well. In reference to being bored, listening to cadences or motivational songs can decrease the level of boredom on runs.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4653 users online. 280 members and 4373 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X