300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brownj21 View Post
    I personally used this program years ago and it worked just like it said. I passed it out to 3 friends and it worked for them as well.
    I got it from a SWAT deputy back in 2000. I got all huge-ified on it.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Guys, this is fantastic!

Everything I've been doing in the gym has been improving drastically except my bench. It's been static for about 6 months.

I know that part of the problem is my eating and running. I tried to slim down a little for summer, and I have a bunch of test coming up, so I wanted to make sure my run was solid. However, what fooled me is that I was still improving on all my other lifts.

Another question: How many of you use spotters while doing the bench? I think that might be another thing holding me back. I never push it, and always stop 1 or 2 reps short because I don't want to be "that guy" with the weights stuck on my chest. I guess I'll just start having people spot me...

Comment

When I did the program, I didn't have a training partner so I used the Smith machine. Sans partner and me being new to lifting, I had no other alternative. Never had to worry about a spotter since even the few times when I couldn't get the weight up I was always able to hook the bar on the catch a couple inches above my chest and crawl out from underneath.
        NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

The best gains I ever made on the bench were on the Smith machine, for that same reason. I could go nuts and not risk killing myself. I lose 10 or 20 pounds when I move to freeweights, but I guess I wouldn't mind that if I can add 60lbs to my bench in 2 months.

Comment

You can get the same benefit from a Smith machine with a power rack. Set the pins a half inch below chest level. If you get stuck, just let your air out and the bar will settle onto the pins, as no one's chest is at the lowest point when benching.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Wendler is over at strengthvillian.com too.
              cool. never heard of that site. i'll check it out.

back to the OP, i like dips as an assistance for bench. for my DT school i had to make large strides in my 1rm bench and i felt like sets of 5-10 weighted dips did more for my bench then actually benching. i went from @190 1rm to @260 1rm in a couple months using the 5/3/1 template for benching along w/ board presses, rack presses and dips as assistance. the actual benching portion was not very intense

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                You can get the same benefit from a Smith machine with a power rack. Set the pins a half inch below chest level. If you get stuck, just let your air out and the bar will settle onto the pins, as no one's chest is at the lowest point when benching.
                using the rack, as reccomended here, is monumentally better AND safer then the smith.

aside from the fixed range of motion and the weightless bar blah blah blah being less effective......if you miss those hooks when you fail a rep, you are trapped under that bar and have no escape. you can't roll it down, and you can't dump the weight to the sides......the smith machine is a suicide machine

Comment

I wouldn't recomend the Smith Machine in any type of heavy overload training as it limits/restricts your ROM and can make you susceptible to injury.

But to each his own

Comment

To expound a bit on my own somewhat vague post, the fixed line of motion can be particularly restrictive during compuond movements, not allowing the body to follow it's natural ROM. Other movements benefit greatly from this fixed line, such as calf raises for example.

It is less of a case of the fixed ROM not translating to real-world lifts as it is a legitimate injury concern.

The power rack does anything the smith machine does and so much more.

Comment

When you don't have the option of a training partner or steady spotter, you do what you gotta do.
                      NRA Life Member

Comment

I hate the smith machine, but it is nice without a spotter.

The power rack is usually used by someone doing squats, because the squat racks are full of people doing barbell curls...

I'll have to start working my way in there.

Comment

Anything by Westside Barbell is great. Their stuff is all over their webpage.

Comment

Originally posted by Usmcskinny View Post
                            Anything by Westside Barbell is great. Their stuff is all over their webpage.
                            Isn't that where one should expect to find it?
                            NRA Life Member

Comment

All this time I was looking at Eastside Barbell.

Comment

There is a great program that I used for bench press. It was created by Tony Thomas. Here is a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLN0vr4nQDw

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12526 users online. 442 members and 12084 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X