300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchpress program and general question

Does anyone have a link or know where I could find a good, easy to use benchpress program. I am looking for one that will take your max press now and then give you workouts based on the percentages of that max. Over the weeks the amount of weight you use gets heavier.

I remember I had one a long time ago... It was a "raise your bench by 50lbs in 10 weeks" type deal.

Another question... What other exercises do you do to supplement benchpress. In addition to flat bench I have been doing Incline Dumbell, Crossovers, and a stationary chest machine to help with my lockout.

I have been lifting heavy since the beginning of May but am kind of lost and could use some pointers. Here is my Heavy arm day
    ---------------------
    Flat Bench
    Warmup 135x10
    Warmup 225X5
    275 X 5
    295 X 3
    305 X 3
    325 X 1-2
    225 X 15-20 (failure)

Incline Dumbells
    70's X8
    75 X8
    80X6-8
    70 X 8

Crossover 3 sets of 8

Machine lockout 3 sets of 5-6

Then its on to Biceps and Triceps. I alternate this day with a shoulders and back day, coupled with two days of rest between them. So I lift Monday - Tuesday then rest Wednesday Thursday - then lift Friday Saturday rinse repeat.

Any inputs appreciated,
    BigCop
    Retired 02/01/13

You basically what I would do with a few exceptions:

When I plateaued I did a pyramid where I would do my warm up then, I would do let's say for an example:
    225x15 (warm up)
    275x5
    285x4
    295x3
    305x2
    315x1
    Once I could get the 315 for one I would add 5 lbs at each level I added a decent amount doing this.
    I also find drop sets very effective in adding weight. I really just vary it up every couple weeks.

I noticed you don't do any declines..... any reason for that? Declines activate the pecs and allow you to lift more weight therefore, increasing the gains.

Comment

I forgot my average chest day, I do chest on it's own day unless I don't hit it hard then I will add in tris but most of the time it is just chest. I do
      Flat Bench
      4-5 sets
      Incline Bench
      4-5 sets
      Decline Bench
      4-5 sets
      Flys
      12 sets on a cable cross, 3 each straight, incline and decline
      Push Ups
      6 sets to failure

I change weather I use dumbells or barbells frequently

Comment

Holy freaking cow, that is a ridiculous amount of volume. How much can you bench, or is that just pretty muscle that has no force behind it?
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
          is that just pretty muscle that has no force behind it?
          Yeah... I got all kinds of muscle that can't lift any weight, it is just firmer fat.. Seriously though I am 5'9" 205 My bench on flat right now, what I am doing this week is 225x15, 245x12, 265x10,285x8, 305x6 It is almost summer here so, it is time to lean up a bit more and get the "Pretty muscle" My Decline is a little more and incline a little less.

If your not sore your not trying

Comment

Strange. I benched 501 and squatted 722 in powerlifting competitions and was almost never sore.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

This is a reprint of the original Muscle Media program.

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/benchpgm.htm
              NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post

+2 I used this a couple of times to break through a plateau.

After this I would start looking at chains/bands, boards, and floor presses to change up your routine.

Comment

Wendler 531 ....program works wonders for the barbell lifts.

Less is more.
                  This is for all you new people. I only have one rule: everyone fights, no one quits. You don't do your Job i'll shoot you myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post

I personally used this program years ago and it worked just like it said. I passed it out to 3 friends and it worked for them as well.
                    www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

Originally posted by CHItoDC View Post
                      Wendler 531 ....program works wonders for the barbell lifts.

Less is more.
                      this is the program i'm using now, its great, but its really more of an intermediate program due to decreased volume on squats and implementation of assistance lifts (which rookies can't be expected to properly program)

it seems as though for the OP, a true strength training program is going to be a complete overhaul of his entire routine and weight room mentality, so, as i've done 10,000x before; i would reccomend starting strength for a couple months first

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
                        this is the program i'm using now, its great, but its really more of an intermediate program due to decreased volume on squats and implementation of assistance lifts (which rookies can't be expected to properly program)

it seems as though for the OP, a true strength training program is going to be a complete overhaul of his entire routine and weight room mentality, so, as i've done 10,000x before; i would reccomend starting strength for a couple months first
                        Great to see someone else on this program. I've been killin it on it, and I'm a fairly experienced barbell lifter.

Just thought the program might work for him, just lookin at the numbers he was moving.
                        This is for all you new people. I only have one rule: everyone fights, no one quits. You don't do your Job i'll shoot you myself.

Comment

Originally posted by CHItoDC View Post
                          Great to see someone else on this program. I've been killin it on it, and I'm a fairly experienced barbell lifter.

Just thought the program might work for him, just lookin at the numbers he was moving.
                          learning how to use the barbell was like an epiphany for me...on the one hand, i want to tell EVERYONE i meet about it; but on the other hand, i don't want people taking up the squat rack

i love it too......it was perfect for me coming off starting strength, because i SORELY needed to step up the cardio after gaining @35lbs....the ability to modify it into 2,3,4 day splits is also nice for when other aspects of my training take precedence (eg: BJJ, boxing, or PT test stuff)
                          regarding the OP: high #'s are one thing, but anyone new to strength training (as opposed to bodypart split/randomized) can make some newbie gains since SS helps learn the form on those basic barbell lifts because you're in there doing them 2-3x a week. CNS adaptation also takes place for anyone new, regardless of size and strength and thus increases in weight follow

you should check out (if you haven't already), www.elitefts.com , wendler along w/ 100 other coaches answer on a q&a forum. great resource and they get back to you in 3 days or so. the articles are also fantastic and wide-ranging for all sorts of training and such....
                          Last edited by Dr. Peebody; 05-20-2011, 09:45 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dr. Peebody;2762481]learning how to use the barbell was like an epiphany for me...on the one hand, i want to tell EVERYONE i meet about it; but on the other hand, i don't want people taking up the squat rack

i love it too......it was perfect for me coming off starting strength, because i SORELY needed to step up the cardio after gaining @35lbs....the ability to modify it into 2,3,4 day splits is also nice for when other aspects of my training take precedence (eg: BJJ, boxing, or PT test stuff)
                            regarding the OP: high #'s are one thing, but anyone new to strength training (as opposed to bodypart split/randomized) can make some newbie gains since SS helps learn the form on those basic barbell lifts because you're in there doing them 2-3x a week. CNS adaptation also takes place for anyone new, regardless of size and strength and thus increases in weight follow

you should check out (if you haven't already), www.elitefts.com , wendler along w/ 100 other coaches answer on a q&a forum. great resource and they get back to you in 3 days or so. the articles are also fantastic and wide-ranging for all sorts of training and

No disagreement here. You make some good points.

Wendler is over at strengthvillian.com too.

Comment

I have nothing bad to say about any of the recommendations made so far.

But I'd like to add Westside Barbell to the mix. Alternating ME and DE days, among other tested and proven methods

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8711 users online. 453 members and 8258 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X