Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you cut fat WHILE building muscle mass?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you cut fat WHILE building muscle mass?

A buddy told me that it is impossible to do. I am curious though, how so? If you do your cardio/pt workout in the morning, and lift HEAVY at night while maintaining a good diet, wouldn't you both cut fat and build muscle mass?

Right now I am 6'5 and 220lbs. I want to cut some body fat (about 17-18% now) but I don't want to lose size or strength. Am I just SOL here?

Yes it can be done, it ain't easy but it can be done. At 6'5 and 220, that's fairly thin.
    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

I was thinking that was thin also, however I'm 6'3 and 210 pounds...according to my Body Mass Index I'm overweight. Not sure how these things are calculated. I could probably stand to lose about 5 pounds (mostly stomach area) but not much more than that.
      ICE SA

Test: July 2009
      NOR: Sept 2009
      Interview: Nov 2009
      NOR: Dec 30, 2010
      TO: Jan 3, 2011
      Medical: Jan 14, 2011
      Drug Screen: Jan 26, 2011
      Cleared all Pre-Employment Checks Feb 23, 2011
      Met with BI: March 9, 2011
      BI Complete: April 26, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnylawman38 View Post
        I was thinking that was thin also, however I'm 6'3 and 210 pounds...according to my Body Mass Index I'm overweight. Not sure how these things are calculated. I could probably stand to lose about 5 pounds (mostly stomach area) but not much more than that.
        BMI is a COMPLETE JOKE and JUNK SCIENCE. Don't take it seriously. In fact don't ever calculate your BMI ever again. If you try to fit into the "normal" range on a BMI you'll probably be miserable. At 6'3 and only 210lbs you probably look underweight.

I'm 5'10" and according to BMI I have to be 173lbs to be "healthy", everything else is "overweight". The lightest I've ever been since I was 14 was 176lbs, and I was a stick. I looked like a death-camp survivor. At my current 203lbs I'm borderline "obese" according to this junk.

Comment

BMI is for people who's idea of exercise is walking to the car to get McDonalds. It does not take muscle mass or the composition of the weight into account at all. I would agree that 220 does not seem heavy for your height at all. However if your body fat is that high there is no reason you can't easily do some recompositioning of your weight. It becomes much more difficult to gain muscle and lose fat after you have reached a certain amount of athleticism. For a newer athlete its almost natrual.

You need to come up with a list of YOUR goals, put a program together based on that and give it 3-6 months of time to see how it's working. If it is just gaining muscle and losing fat it's easier than if you were training for a half marathon and powerlifting comp at the same time.

Your going to have to give us more information if you want a better evaluation though. You say you don't want to lose strength and want to lose fat. We have no idea how big your gut is compared to your chest or how much weight your moving for your weight class etc...

Comment

I think it is very possible. I have gone from a strength athlete to an endurance athlete and noticed that my weight hasn't changed at all, but, I've dropped two waist sizes and dropped a shirt size in the process. I'm 6'2 240
            "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

Comment

I am 6.3 265 and I can tell you BMI has me as Obese for my height and weight

As everyone stated you can cut fat and gaim muscle. Your not going to put on 10lbs of muscle and drop a shi- load of fat in one year (NATURAL) but it can be done easily with proper diet and training.
              MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

As someone who is not a body builder, I can attest that it is possible to lose fat and build muscle at the same time. It is a normal consequence of moderate exercise and mild dieting. Someone with high body fat can tell this is happening because weight stays the same while abdominal and chest measurements decline. That is because fat is less dense than muscle.

As for BMI, employers I know of do not simply look at height and weight tables. They have alternative measurements for those who have large frames or musculature.
                Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Yes you can. I am sure your friend is a great guy but he is misleading you in this area.
                  Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6548 users online. 349 members and 6199 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X