300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is p90x effective?

My girlfriend has a friend that lost 45 pounds in six months and she insists that P90x is a miracle . My barber in his early 50's says the same. I am used to push ups, pull ups, sprints, jogs, dead lift's etc. but never tried this program. Is it a good fitness program? I know healthy eating is a big part of any exercise regiment and helps attain results. I am 5'10 and 185 pounds right now. Which, coming from someone who was a bean pole in high school means I packed on a lot of muscle. Since summer is coming soon in the Northeast I want to tone up a bit. (After the all pizza's and bud light's on the weekends off) Is this cardio program what it purports itself to be or is it the real deal?
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    ~Mark Twain

Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."
    — Horace Mann

It's effective. It's more for conditioning, not so much for, "I wanna be a big buff bodybuilder". It will definitely make you stronger, and you'll get more definition and lose weight as you go along with it.

If you want to be able to perform better, it's great. If you want to be able to bench 500 pounds, well, you're kinda outta luck.
    Last edited by Dellde; 05-06-2011, 07:28 PM.

Comment

You answered your own question with the first two sentences of your post.

Congratulations.
      NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Dellde View Post
        It's effective. It's more for conditioning, not so much for, "I wanna be a big buff bodybuilder". It will definitely make you stronger, and you'll get more definition and lose weight as you go along with it.

If you want to be able to perform better, it's great. If you want to be able to bench 500 pounds, well, you're kinda outta luck.
        Haha..No I am not trying to be a bodybuilder. I got back into boxing and taking a Martial Art right now. But, I cannot seem to get cut (or muscle definition) like when I was younger. With my limited time available I thought this at home cardio would help.Thanks for the reply, my gf's friend said she will let me borrow a couple of the DVDs. From what I gather from your post it is worth a try. Thank you Dellde.
        ~Mark Twain

Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
        ~Thomas Jefferson

— Horace Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
          You answered your own question with the first two sentences of your post.

Congratulations.
          LOL

But I didn't know if she starved herself or took some drugs etc. LOL I am a natural skeptic of the crazy ripped people on TV selling a product. But, from your post I gather that it does work. As usual, thanks Sarge.
          ~Mark Twain

~Thomas Jefferson

— Horace Mann

Comment

I completed 90 days of doing P90X lean. There are 3 different ways to do it: lean, classic and doubles. It most definitely works. You will not gain huge "mass", but will gain lean muscle, better cardio stamina and more flexibility. It's a good program IF you stick with it. I did not follow the meal guideline book. To much to do with a family. If you have any more questions, feel free to contact me.

Comment

Originally posted by NCEA2745 View Post
              I completed 90 days of doing P90X lean. There are 3 different ways to do it: lean, classic and doubles. It most definitely works. You will not gain huge "mass", but will gain lean muscle, better cardio stamina and more flexibility. It's a good program IF you stick with it. I did not follow the meal guideline book. To much to do with a family. If you have any more questions, feel free to contact me.
              Thanks, I appreciate your experience. I will give it a go. I was told I will be sore. I love a workout that intense, because it pushes you to go the extra length. BTW, I do veggies, eggs, chicken, once in while a steak, turkey and a little bit of carbs. I hope that correlates with the diet expected.
              Last edited by jason860; 05-06-2011, 09:05 PM.
              ~Mark Twain

~Thomas Jefferson

— Horace Mann

Comment

This and Insanity works....I've seen it and done Insanity
                Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

aha..No I am not trying to be a bodybuilder. I got back into boxing and taking a Martial Art right now. But, I cannot seem to get cut (or muscle definition) like when I was younger
                  It all begins with your Diet Jason. If your not eating clean you wont see the definition you want.
                  MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

True but don't think you have to file their meal plan.

Comment

Actually works well...here is the key...DIET. I followed the fat shredder (P90 phase 1 meal plan) to a T and lost 12 lbs in about 3 weeks. 2 1/2 inches on my stomach. The kicker is, I only followed the training program for two weeks. It's the diet. I'm very vain, and once my shirts/sleeves started to fit me loose...I stopped. Yes..I admit my vanity. I added some more carbs and started lifting again.

If your overweight and looking to drop some pounds...follow the plan AND THE DIET. Did I mention DIET.
                      "Let's walk down there and F!$#@ 'em all"....Hodges (Colors)

Comment

It works if you stick with it like everyone else has said . Its also a great cardio alternative to running or a treadmill the plyo dvd burns 1000 calories in 45 minutes cardio, kempo and core burn around 800 in 45 minutes to a hour . Its also great if your bored or stuck in your regular weight training program . I can bench 415 and by the time I was done with the chest dvd I couldnt do a puchup on my knees lol . Give it a shot and stick with it you will like it
                        If you have them by the balls there hearts and minds will soon follow-John Wayne

Comment

I'm doing it with a friend, and we're in week 4 (kind of a "recovery" week) So far I've dropped 7 pounds and my pants are getting loose on me.

As already mentioned above, diet is a huge factor. We're not following the diet plan to a T, but eating light and healthy on our own. Shopping for all the ingredients, and cooking isn't something I enjoy or have the time for.

The first day DVD "chest and back" (basically all push ups and pull ups) is an *** kicker and gives you a taste of what you're in for. When I first started my max pull ups was 10-12 (first set) now I'm able to get a max of 20, the wide overhand ones btw. So the results are there without a doubt. You just HAVE to stick with it 6 days a week, don't let your mind give you an excuse. Didn't get enough sleep? Too bad should of thought of that the night before, you won't have a problem falling asleep then when you're done working out will you?

The one I love to hate the most is plyometrics... If you're a cardio junkie you'll probably get through it and say "damn that was a helluva lot harder then anything else I've done, I MUST be out of shape"

I strongly recommend the pull up bar instead of the bands. I don't think there's a substitute for pull ups.

See if you can find a partner to do it with. You're much more likely to do it when someone else is relying on you and you're both making time in your schedule to do something that will greatly benefit you. My friend is better at the cardio, and I can do more pull ups and push ups, so we both motivate each other in that way.

Also don't knock the yoga until you try it. It will work muscles that you didn't know you had and it will kick your ***. I never took yoga seriously until I tried it.

Before we started P90x we both went to the gym to pump iron so we thought we'd be ready for it... Wrong! This is an *** kicking like no other. You nor I will ever look like Tony Horton (the creator of P90x) but we'll look and perform a lot better then before.

Good luck, and I hope you do it and stick with it.

Comment

I'm 6'2" and weighed around 180 lbs. when I started P90X in October 2009. I followed the diet guide for about six weeks of it and lost ten pounds. I went back to eating normally (for me), gained a few pounds, and finished the program. By the end of it, I could do a lot more than I could when I started, but I still couldn't do what they were doing on the show. I'm fine with it. It was fun.

I haven't completed P90X in it's entirety since then. The most I've been able to devote since the first completion is about six to seven weeks, and I frequently put in a disc covering something I'd like to work on. Back this past Christmas I was doing the kenpo often to break the monotony of things. I do the assorted arms and chest discs fairly frequently since I can't get to the gym anymore, and I also like the core synergistics. Plyometrics can kiss my butt. I hurt my left knee doing that and couldn't run for a while. I like running. I don't run far (three to four miles), but I might run seven days per week.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11923 users online. 452 members and 11471 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X