Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warm Up With Cardio, Then Go To Weights. Right? Wrong.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warm Up With Cardio, Then Go To Weights. Right? Wrong.

Saw this article on yahoo today -

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/trai...ts-right-wrong

I keep hearing do this first or do that first. Discuss please gents.
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Funny, I just read that article on yahoo before coming on here!

When I was lifting weights I would the same things. I would warm up for 10mins on a rowing machine as I believe that is relatively low impact and hit all the major muscle groups. I would work out and afterwards do a HIIT workout. I believed this provided me with the optimal method for gaining muscles and losing fat.

Like any other workouts you can find articles explaining the benefits of both and it depends on what you are looking for. I am not going to run for 30 mins and then try and do heavy squats that is for sure, but that is just me...

Comment

Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
      Like any other workouts you can find articles explaining the benefits of both and it depends on what you are looking for. I am not going to run for 30 mins and then try and do heavy squats that is for sure, but that is just me...

Agreed. I say do whatever feels right for you.

I'm really not into just "lifting" anymore. I'm more into the crossfit type stuff that incorporates lifting and cardio into one routine. ie. a lot of continuous llifting sets, which lead to a cardio workout on its own. But, if I had to do both in one routine, I like to do my strength and then the cardio.

Example - yesterdays workout was
      155lb deadlift - 10 reps
      115lb hanging snatch - 5 reps
      115lb push press - 5 reps
      Complete 5 sets as fast as possible

I didn't run afterward, but I think I could easily finish that w/ a 2 mile run. If I were to start w/ a 2 mile run I probably would have been too wiped to perform my lifting routine.

Comment

Originally posted by towncop View Post
        Saw this article on yahoo today -

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/trai...ts-right-wrong

I keep hearing do this first or do that first. Discuss please gents.

The article is so full of lose, don't even know where to start. Depends on issues of programming, goals, and other variables. Basic rule of thumb however is, cardio is best done (a) on a separate day (b) separate time of day (C) after resistance training, in that order.

The rest of the article is worthless.
        - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus259
          I don't think it is effective. They continue to say do the cardio last, but if you work the weights hard and have very little left afterward, then your cardio is going to suffer and you won't make any gains there. Last week I ran 2-miles on the treadmill and had to stop for a funny reason. I then went to do my chest/arm routine. Bench, incline bench, presses, etc. After I was done, I decided to finish my final mile on the treadmill and told myself "It's just a mile"! I felt like I wanted to drop dead. My legs didn't have much left, my breathing was off, and I couldn't really focus because I didn't have much energy. How are you expected to make gains in cardio, if you are doing it with nothing left in the tank?

I always do my 30-minutes of cardio first, and I still have plenty left for all the lifting routines. I've made gains in both. So I really don't see the big issue that it HAS to be done last.
          I agree with this. I usually just use cardio to warm-up before lifting. I would do a 1/2 hour if I had time. When I do P90x they alternate the cardio and the lifting. Really it is up to your body. If what you are doing isn't working, try mixing it up. What works for us may not work for you.

World_So_Cold

Comment

I don't do cardio in the sense of working hard. Just like, walking at a fast clip on an incline. Something to get my heart rate up and the blood flowing but not leaving me short of breath.
            Last edited by Dellde; 04-28-2011, 01:53 PM.

Comment

There's only one day a week I double up cardio and lifting in the same day. That day is a split day though with lifting in the a.m. and cardio in the p.m. Other days of the week are either strictly a run day or strictly a lift day.

It looks like this:

Mon- Lift
              Tues- Run (Speed day)
              Weds- Lift a.m. & Run (EZ) p.m.
              Thur- Run (EZ)
              Fri- Lift
              Sat- Run (tempo)
              Sun- Run (Long)
              Originally posted by kontemplerande
              Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

If you went to school for kinesiology or a related field right now, they would tell you to do some form of 5-10 minute warm-up prior to lifting. They would also tell you to base what you do first largely on the goals of your training. e.g. if your goals are strength/size, do weights first.
                Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them.

Comment

Originally posted by k9education View Post
                  If you went to school for kinesiology or a related field right now, they would tell you to do some form of 5-10 minute warm-up prior to lifting. They would also tell you to base what you do first largely on the goals of your training. e.g. if your goals are strength/size, do weights first.
                  Exactly! If your are burning fat and looking to tone, then you want to do the cardio and then lift. If you are strength training and trying to build mass, then you must lift first.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11440 users online. 398 members and 11042 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X