300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you stay motivated?

Lately I have hit a plateau, and I'm having a hard time getting motivated to work out. I know the only way to break through is to keep going and try different workouts, but I just can't get motivated to do anything lately. What do you do?

That is a good question I too have had the same issue. I am working out once in awhile but not every day as I should. Any advice out there would be great. The only time I have is mornings because there is no telling what might happen in the evenings.

Comment

I just remind myself that everyday I don't work out, the bad gys are...... I look at my daughter and remember that I promised her to come home everynight at the end of my shift then I go to the gym and bust my *** for an hour or more. I will come home everyday and if I have to put an exra hour or two in a day to help with that so be it....

Comment

I would try and re-evaluate the reasons you work out. What are your goals? Why do you have them? I have found that it really helped me to re-evaluate my work out and eventually I COMPLETELY changed everything I do. My goals changed and therefore my workout changed. Check out stewsmith.com. He's got some awesome ideas for workouts and most of them are free.
        "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

Comment

A big thing for me was joining a CrossFit gym. It helps tremendously to have others there pushing you to reach your goals. When you're dying halfway through a tough WOD, having friends yell, "PUSH, you GOT THIS!" gives you that extra boost to dig deep. I know for a fact I wouldn't have made such great gains in my fitness level over the past month without that encouragement.

I still go to my regular gym a couple times a week to lift, but I find it harder to truly push myself when I'm sitting there alone.
          "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus259
            I tell myself that I like what I see, and I want to see more changes. I'll mix up different exercises, try different things, try new routines and mix it up. Seems to be working so far. Everyone hits those plateaus. If anything, take a break for a week or so, and restart your routines. Taking a break for a week or so can sometimes help break through those.
            This is exactly what I am trying out. I just started working out again in January, and my bench has gone up about 40lbs, my shoulders are stronger than ever, and my dumbbell rowes have gone up 45lbs. I felt really aggressive, and wanted to push harder each time I went to the gym. My test was through the roof to the point that I was getting pimples, and finding myself agitated a lot easier. (the only thing I take is protein powder and nitric oxide, no test boosters or anything extreme)

As of this last week I just feel weak and lazy. I think my lifts have even gone down a little bit, and I just have no motivation. I'm hoping a week off solves my problem, and I'm looking forward to trying that "manly" workout someone just posted on here.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Comment

In the past, building as much strength and size as I could was motivation. If a powerlifting meet was coming up, which it was always was for a number of years, nothing could keep me away from working out. Powerlifting is long behind me now. Now that I'm in my mid-40s, the motivation is to not let the injuries, arthritis and age hold me back. If I keep at it with regular workouts, everything feels and works much better.

Gotta stay in fighting shape for work, too. Failing in the gym just means I have to put the weight down and try again. Failing on the street means bagpipes.
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I watch "300".

Comment

FYI for those taking a N.O. product, might want to check this article out.

http://articles.lgsciences.com/

As for motivation, i take whatever is angering me, use it as fuel, and rip that gym a new *******. Always need to find that driving factor. It is different for everyone, but remember, for everyday you are not working out, the other guy is. Keep that in mind and that should be motivation enough!
                  Academy Start Date: 7/18/11
                  Test with State Agency:
                  Background:
                  Graduate Academy:
                  Oral Board/Poly/Psych/Medical/Conditional Offer:
                  Job Offer:
                  Start Date:

Comment

All the motivation I need........... www.odmp.org Be careful out there!

Comment

Originally posted by Short813 View Post
                      FYI for those taking a N.O. product, might want to check this article out.

http://articles.lgsciences.com/

As for motivation, i take whatever is angering me, use it as fuel, and rip that gym a new *******. Always need to find that driving factor. It is different for everyone, but remember, for everyday you are not working out, the other guy is. Keep that in mind and that should be motivation enough!
                      Son of a ******!! Thank you for posting that. That explains exactly what is wrong.

I did decide to go tonight, and I was motivated but not all there. I still managed to get 1 more rep with the same weight though on the bench.

Comment

I stay motivated by changing up my workouts and my goals. I've already posted this in different threads but my motivation/goals have changed a lot over the years.(I'm 32 now).

Here's my progression over the year since highschool
                        Back in high school I was into bodybuilding
                        Then it was kickboxing
                        Then it was back bodybuilding
                        Next Weight/Strength training
                        Condtioning/kickboxing
                        Currently - conditioning/strength

I've been into mostly conditioning/strength training the last 3 years. I initially got motivated by following Ross Enamaits stuff (http://www.rosstraining.com/blog/), but recently I've been doing a lot of crossfit stuff. Even though both systems are conditioning based, they're are some differences.

Ross's workouts are a lot more bodyweight focused w/ some dumbbells mixed in. Examples would be minute drills consisting of burpees, squats, and dumbbell swings from each arm. So, basically perform a 2 minute set switching up the excercise every 30 sec, then take a 30 sec break and start over.

The crossfit stuff I enjoy are more of the barbell excercises. Snatches, Deadlifts, thrusters, etc. If you do continuous sets it can still be a great conditioning exercise, but it works muscles I haven't used before. It feels great to wakeup in the morning and be sore in places I never have before. That feels great and that's whats motivating to me.

Most recently I did a Tough Mudder challenge. It was awesome!! Now I'm training for Tough Mudder GORUCK challenge. It's a 15-20 mile run in NYC w/ 20 lbs of bricks on your back. Along the way you jump in the river and do pushups, flutter kicks, indian runs, and buddy carry's. It's sure to be hell!!!. So I guess this is my newest motivation.

So, if you're just into weights and not conditioning maybe try and switch up your routines. If you're doing mostly bodybuilding stuff, try and incorporate some strength training olympic style stuff like the snatches, thrusters, etc... Crossfit website has a ton of workout ideas.

here's one I did the other day that was both a great strength and conditioning routine.
                        155lb deadlift - 10 reps
                        115lb hanging snatch - 6 reps
                        115lb shoulder push-press - 5 reps.
                        Do 5 sets as fast as you can. This is a great workout that leaves your shoulders and forearms screaming. And if you do it fast enough your heart will be racing and you will be sweating in the 10 minutes it takes you to complete the workout.
                        Last edited by sln78; 04-19-2011, 08:47 AM.

Comment

stepping on the scale every day definetly helps......i like knowing where my weight is at all times....if i dip below a certain point i know i want to go for a run or get to the gym asap

Comment

Pain is my motivator. Too many side effects from pain meds, so I have to work out in order to keep the pain at a minimum. As far as having scales in the house, I have none. If my clothes are getting tight there are only two things that cause that. Weight gain or too much heat when drying them.... well make that 3... workout enough and increased muscle mass can cause clothes to be too tight.
                            sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by sln78 View Post
                              I stay motivated by changing up my workouts and my goals. I've already posted this in different threads but my motivation/goals have changed a lot over the years.(I'm 32 now).

Here's my progression over the year since highschool
                              Back in high school I was into bodybuilding
                              Then it was kickboxing
                              Then it was back bodybuilding
                              Next Weight/Strength training
                              Condtioning/kickboxing
                              Currently - conditioning/strength

I've been into mostly conditioning/strength training the last 3 years. I initially got motivated by following Ross Enamaits stuff (http://www.rosstraining.com/blog/), but recently I've been doing a lot of crossfit stuff. Even though both systems are conditioning based, they're are some differences.

Ross's workouts are a lot more bodyweight focused w/ some dumbbells mixed in. Examples would be minute drills consisting of burpees, squats, and dumbbell swings from each arm. So, basically perform a 2 minute set switching up the excercise every 30 sec, then take a 30 sec break and start over.

The crossfit stuff I enjoy are more of the barbell excercises. Snatches, Deadlifts, thrusters, etc. If you do continuous sets it can still be a great conditioning exercise, but it works muscles I haven't used before. It feels great to wakeup in the morning and be sore in places I never have before. That feels great and that's whats motivating to me.

Most recently I did a Tough Mudder challenge. It was awesome!! Now I'm training for Tough Mudder GORUCK challenge. It's a 15-20 mile run in NYC w/ 20 lbs of bricks on your back. Along the way you jump in the river and do pushups, flutter kicks, indian runs, and buddy carry's. It's sure to be hell!!!. So I guess this is my newest motivation.

So, if you're just into weights and not conditioning maybe try and switch up your routines. If you're doing mostly bodybuilding stuff, try and incorporate some strength training olympic style stuff like the snatches, thrusters, etc... Crossfit website has a ton of workout ideas.

here's one I did the other day that was both a great strength and conditioning routine.
                              155lb deadlift - 10 reps
                              115lb hanging snatch - 6 reps
                              115lb shoulder push-press - 5 reps.
                              Do 5 sets as fast as you can. This is a great workout that leaves your shoulders and forearms screaming. And if you do it fast enough your heart will be racing and you will be sweating in the 10 minutes it takes you to complete the workout.
                              I love Ross and the stuff he offers. However, I can NOT stay on his page very long. The black background on the webpage with his text just screws with my eyes too much.
                              Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12029 users online. 492 members and 11537 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X