300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamstring Pull - Help!?

O.k., so hopefully I've finally learned my lesson about not stretching enough. I pulled my hamstring a little bit during PT at my academy last week. We were doing 100 m sprints, and one the 6th and final sprint, I pulled it a little. The pain isn't too bad, but it still hurts a little when I bend over sometimes. I can still jog o.k.

So can anyone give me some advice on how I can rehab this thing quickly? I've read that I shouldn't stretch it right away. So this happened Wednesday 4/13/11. Is it o.k. to start doing hamstring stretches yet? How soon should I start doing some strengthening exercises, like some light deadlifts?

Also, I've pulled my hamstring several times before while doing sprints, so I need to make this stop. I do dynamic stretching exercises before sprints, but I've read that it's not enough. I know I need to be doing static stretches every day to actually lengthen the muscle. Can anyone recommend some good static stretches, including how often I should do them? Also any strengthening exercises to help prevent future pulls.

I've got my fingers crossed that we won't have to do any sprints this next week. If we do I guess I'll just have to run them at maybe 60% and get an ***-chewing. It's a minor injury, and the only thing it seems to effect is sprints. I don't want to have to go on light duty for this and miss out on PT with my class.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, since I know there are some folks on here who are pretty well versed in fitness and muscle mechanics.
    "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Go easy on it. A blown hamstring has ended the career of many an athlete. It's the longest muscle in the body so you want to be easy on it.

The best exercise I know of for sprinting are romanian deadlifts, but really. You shouldn't be pulling muscles on a regular basis.

Comment

Rest....rest and more rest. Dont do 100% sprints. Go like 70% or you will injure it. Once it is injured it becomes more susceptible to being hurt again. Be careful with stretching, light stretching is ok. Mainly, just rest it.

Comment

Ice.......

Dx1 career ended on two torn hamstrings.
        This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

When you stretch, do it slowly, so you're stretching muscle and not connective tissue. As you put it, static, not dynamic stretch. Hold it right around the pain point.

Comment

Thanks. I'll definitely go light on it when I can. I have a pt evaluation coming up in a few weeks though, including a 300 yd sprint in 59 sec. Hopefully I can pull that off without doing any damage.
            "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

^^^Take smaller strides...long strides activate the hammy.
              This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

What's it with you and your injuries? Didn't you have a micro tear in your calf or am I mixed up?

I always believed in using my own body as a guinea pig and not believe what someone told me or what some magazine/internet article said. A few years ago in one of my running groups people were saying not to stretch. So I googled "to stretch or not to stretch"... Wow, a lot of articles discussing this topic.

So, I stopped stretching before running and only stretched after running: 30-45mins afterwards in a hot tub ---ahhh... But then I stopped stretching afterwards too... Now yrs later and 1,000's of miles a lot of races and a marathon later I still haven't pulled a muscle or gotten shin splints from running... Just saying...

I do stretch but only for flexibility in grappling.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/13/he...l?pagewanted=2

Comment

If I don't stretch I get shin splints, and I feel stupid sore the next day after any kind of weight lifting.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                    What's it with you and your injuries? Didn't you have a micro tear in your calf or am I mixed up?

I always believed in using my own body as a guinea pig and not believe what someone told me or what some magazine/internet article said. A few years ago in one of my running groups people were saying not to stretch. So I googled "to stretch or not to stretch"... Wow, a lot of articles discussing this topic.

So, I stopped stretching before running and only stretched after running: 30-45mins afterwards in a hot tub ---ahhh... But then I stopped stretching afterwards too... Now yrs later and 1,000's of miles a lot of races and a marathon later I still haven't pulled a muscle or gotten shin splints from running... Just saying...

I do stretch but only for flexibility in grappling.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/13/he...l?pagewanted=2
                    Yep that was me with the microtear in the calf. Far as I know that's healed. I suspect a lot of my problems stem from my severe lack of flexibility. Ive never even been able to touch my toes while standing. Also from what I've read the hamstring problem could be related to weak hamstrings in comparison to quads. As soon as I'm sure the hamstring is healed I plan to work on strengthening via high rep deadlifts and a couple other exercises I read about.

Comment

Originally posted by adeutch View Post
                      Also from what I've read the hamstring problem could be related to weak hamstrings in comparison to quads. t.
                      A lot of runners get patellofemoral pain syndrome (runner's knee) from the same type of thing... That is why it is suggested runner cross train. Well I hope it works out for you.

Comment

You can't touch your toes? There your problem. Youve got tight muscles that your using hard and fast, of course they get injured.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10207 users online. 374 members and 9833 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X