300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle Ups

First of all, I don't have a set of rings, but if you know a good place online to get them for a decent price, let me know!

So I've been doing this on a pull-up bar. A little more difficult than I thought. I can do about 20 pull-ups and 20 bar dips (which was recommended in order to do a muscle up), but I'm having problems to where I just can't make it over the bar to push myself up. I've asked people what the best way is and of course they just say "practice". Any one else have any suggestions? I've seen plenty of videos on youtube where people are just doing them, but are not very good at explaining, especially when referring to your "false grip". Thanks!

I have 2 sets of rings. One from Christian's Fitness Factory ( www.cfffit.com ) for like $50 and one from www.gymnasticbodies.com (about $75) both are great.

There are lots of good tutorials out there.

Muscle up progression video, also easy explanation of false grip.

Muscle ups on a bar:

I think you have the strength NOT to use this practice, but figured i would show it anyway:

There are others out there as well. Good luck.
    Last edited by brownj21; 04-08-2011, 03:15 PM.
    www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

Those videos are spot on based on what we've worked on in Crossfit. I haven't worked on muscle up progression for awhile, but last time I tried I discovered what could be a problem for me. Like you mentioned, it's the false grip. I can do bar pullups, and I can do ring dips. But I discovered my false grip is weak as sh*t. So next time I get on some rings, I'm going to spend some time just working the false grip. Just hanging on the rings with the false grip. Also I've never really done many ring pullups. I need to get that down before I'll ever get a muscle up.
      "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Holy crap, I thought to myself today, let me just try again. I finally did a muscle up! Actually, I was able to do 21 muscle ups! I wonder if it's harder to do on rings or on a pull up bar? I've only done them on a pull up bar. Once I got the technique down they were so easy! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Arewethereyet View Post
          Holy crap, I thought to myself today, let me just try again. I finally did a muscle up! Actually, I was able to do 21 muscle ups! I wonder if it's harder to do on rings or on a pull up bar? I've only done them on a pull up bar. Once I got the technique down they were so easy! Thanks!
          Good job. Supposedly a bar muscleup is harder, but I got those quicker than on rings.
          Usually once a person who has the strength to do them gets the technique once, they can knock them out easily...much like you did.
          www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

Good job... I have plenty of strength to do chest to bar pull ups, and can do ring dips all day long. Last week I finally did my first Bar Muscle Up, but still can't get the movement down for the ring muscle ups. Only took me six months of Xfit for the BMU's, so hopefully the ring muscle won't be that far behind.

Also.. I've been told the Bar Muscle Ups are harder, but for me the bar gives me a lot more stability, so I think that's what made them easier.
            Yes I'm a LEO... but I do no care enough to go through the trouble of changing the screen name.... sorry

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5115 users online. 220 members and 4895 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X