300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sit and Reach Test

Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to help me better stretch out my lower back and hamstrings? The LE test that I am taking in 2 months has a sit and reach test and I am having trouble with that part of it..Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Yoga.

No seriously.

Find a yoga class and do it religiously. Keep at it and they'll have to add another yard stick to the test.
    Originally posted by kontemplerande
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

practice, practice, practice everyday.... you can take a towel and use it to pull you down, just don't bounce your stretches and hold them for 20-30 seconds... oh and breathe out during the stretch to get a little extra in there, but don't over do it.... good luck to ya.
      Last edited by John0397; 03-25-2011, 03:34 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
        Yoga.

No seriously.

Find a yoga class and do it religiously. Keep at it and they'll have to add another yard stick to the test.
        This.

I do yoga once a week, and it has done wonders for increasing my strength, flexibility, and balance. You'll be in the "sit and reach" position many times during an hour session.
        "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

Comment

There are 2 tricks that I found that help me with this test; make sure that when you stretch you stretch both ways, the best way to do this is to have someone there to help you. Start by doing the sit and reach test as normal, when you get as far as you can go then hold for 15-20 seconds and then have your assistant put positive pressure on your back as you push back against them. Repeat this 2 or 3 times. Hopefully this makes sense. I do this right before I take the PT test for my department. The other trick I found is to get into position on the box that you will be using for the test and rest your hands on the edge. One arm at a time rotate it like you would for an overhead swim stroke. I found that this helps "open up" your shoulder and allows you to reach about 2 extra inches.

Comment

THere are several threads on this topic.....numerous suggestions posted. Browse thru using the search function.
            This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9088 users online. 448 members and 8640 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X