300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seminar and functional training day with tactical athletes/law enforcement

A seminar, and "functional" training day for tactical athletes and law enforcement I was part of a while back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVgd2yHwbwY
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Great video Will. I'm trying (without success) to try to get my agency to adopt some sort of physical element to handgun qualifications and other training. I even tried the low-cost simple and easy approach by showing them that video where you drug a sandbag by a rope, and then pressed the bag before shooting. No go. We talk all the time about how fatigue, stress, and exertion affect shooting ability, but there are only a couple of us willing to try it, and that has to be on our own time. The agency wants to tell us all about it, when they have no experience and aren't willing to try it. I guess it doesn't help that our department heads are 50lbs+ overweight, and smoke and drink like fish.

Comment

Originally posted by SOI View Post
      Great video Will. I'm trying (without success) to try to get my agency to adopt some sort of physical element to handgun qualifications and other training. I even tried the low-cost simple and easy approach by showing them that video where you drug a sandbag by a rope, and then pressed the bag before shooting. No go. We talk all the time about how fatigue, stress, and exertion affect shooting ability, but there are only a couple of us willing to try it, and that has to be on our own time. The agency wants to tell us all about it, when they have no experience and aren't willing to try it. I guess it doesn't help that our department heads are 50lbs+ overweight, and smoke and drink like fish.
      I feel your pain as I'm sure others here do too. Years ago when I started with some of this, I though it would be easy to convince the community of the obvious benefits to some of these concepts. Boy was I wrong. I have focused mostly on tactical LE/SWAT due mainly to the fact they tend to be more motivated, often ex mil, etc,

Had I known the level of resistance I would face, I don't think I would have worked on the ideas. But I'm a stubborn SOB and have not given up on you all yet. I bet others here might have better advice in terms of making headway with the 'resistant parties' in terms of adding in some form of stress training. I will say, one of the best things you can do is, lead by example. So just you and a few others are willing to do it, so you and a few others regularly do it! That often ends up being a few more, and so forth, 'till someone with the mojo "gets it" and decides there's some benefits to be had. I'd also keep sending articles, vids, etc around so it's under their noses as much as possible.

Such things can be done low cost, or literally no cost as needed. I give low cost/no cost examples in my book BTW (spam alert!) using buckets with rocks in them, phone polls cut to length, wheel barrels, etc. First year I worked with above group (NEMLEC SWAT) we had essentially a zero budget for training to get them ready for the CT SWAT Challenge, so I had to get creative.

Pull stuff I post here, and or from my site, etc and send it on to higher ups and crew, etc. you know, keep fighting the good fight
      - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11919 users online. 495 members and 11424 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X