300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Defense

I was wondering, what martial art, fighting style and self defense method do you participate in and/or interested in learning? I know most police officers are given extremely good training in self defense, but is there any discipline that you would like to learn? I boxed and learned Hapkido when I was in my teens. I am interested in Sambo and Krav Maga. I was wondering, besides LEO training, did anyone participate in any outside self defense training or are you an active member of one?
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    ~Mark Twain

Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."
    — Horace Mann

The search function is a wonderful thing.

And ching-ching-pow kicks ***.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

verbal judo

Comment

Student and Assistant Instructor at a Jeet Kune Do and Close Quarters Defense Tactics Gym.

CQDT is a blend of several arts and includes street survival type scenarios.

I wish that I had done this many many years ago.
        www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

I am currently taking jiu-jitsu and MMA classes. Hopefully they will help one day, if nothing else it gets you in shape!

Comment

Studied Aikido and GoJu-Ryu back in the day.

Recently took an introductory class for Krav Maga. Kicked my *** good. I'm seriously considering going back for more.
            Originally posted by kontemplerande
            Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

I currently hold a 3rd degree Blackbelt in Taekwondo. Haven't trained in roughly one year do to moving. I have heard some great things about Krav Maga and am considering giving it a try. A lot of the more traditional Martial Arts tend to be less practical for police work, but are still great. Krav Maga appears to be extremely practical and it also emphasizes fitness, which is amazing.
              Live with honor, and let not your death be born by the pallbearers of disgrace, cruelty, weakness, and fear.

Comment

I did Jeet Kune Do & Filipino Martial Arts when I was younger (16-20). Then I got into kickboxing and have been doing it since (I'm 32 now). Kickboxing is a great sport and it teaches you to "fight". But it takes time to learn.

If I was going to recommend an art that would offer a lot in a short amount of time, it would be the Jeet Kune Do and Filipino Arts. Here's a good quick video by Paul Vunak. In it he goes over the ear slap. One thing he says that is very true... "He could teach someone to throw an ear slap in a couple of hours. But it could take years to learn how to throw a good punch." If you were up against a 6'4 350lb man would you rather start punching and trying to go blow for blow... Of course not. So, one option is to throw an ear slap followed by elbows and headbutts to quickly end the fight...

Check out the video
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtFcl...eature=related

Comment

Another great "functional" art is the Dog Brothers Martial Arts which comes from the Filipino Arts. This one translates great over to police work through the use of the baton.

The following video is pretty extreme. Just so you guys know, not everyone who participates in Dog Brothers Martial Arts actually fights at this level. But the point is, it shows you how to stick fight which directly translates over to the baton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVhZBDgcUxQ
                  Last edited by sln78; 03-19-2011, 08:15 PM.

Comment

I am currently a 1st degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and I own and operate my own Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Thai academy in Southern California. I have also trained in several Filipino martial arts as well.
                    Not all men can be U.S. Marines that is why there is the Army, Navy and Air Force.

Comment

Originally posted by jason860 View Post
                      I was wondering, what martial art, fighting style and self defense method do you participate in and/or interested in learning? I know most police officers are given extremely good training in self defense, but is there any discipline that you would like to learn? I boxed and learned Hapkido when I was in my teens. I am interested in Sambo and Krav Maga. I was wondering, besides LEO training, did anyone participate in any outside self defense training or are you an active member of one?
                      The statement about LEO's given extremely good training in self defense is not true. Most agencies have some form of a Defensive Tactics program but unfortunately the techniques they teach won't work in a real life situation. As a former DT instructor for my agency I was frustrated with what we had to teach at the academy. There are a few agencies that provide a good program with L.A.P.D. being one of the best in my opinion. Some Cops get additional martial arts training on their own time but not too many. Others would rather play softball or golf instead.
                      Last edited by valetudo39; 03-21-2011, 12:39 AM.
                      Not all men can be U.S. Marines that is why there is the Army, Navy and Air Force.

Comment

Originally posted by valetudo39 View Post
                        The statement about LEO's given extremely good training in self defense is not true. Most agencies have some form of a Defensive Tactics program but unfortunately the techniques they teach won't work in a real life situation. As a former DT instructor for my agency I was frustrated with what we had to teach at the academy. There are a few agencies that provide a good program with L.A.P.D. being one of the best in my opinion. Some Cops get additional martial arts training on their own time but not too many. Others would rather play softball or golf instead.
                        I agree with this. My current agency wants me to get certified to be a DT instructor (because of my background), but after seeing what was taught, Im not so sure that I can, in good conscience.
                        www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

Originally posted by valetudo39 View Post
                          So true.
                          Our defense tactics covered maybe two days in the academy. It really wasn't defense tactics at all.......more about wrist locks and compliance, not about what to do when the poop hits the fan and you're fighting for your life.
                          Personally, I believe simple tactics are the best, and unless you practice techniques as much as a golfer hits range balls, you'll revert back to the close fist technique you learned soon after you started walking.
                          I'm looking for training that's simple to remember, easy to practice, and gets the suspect under control quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by brownj21 View Post
                            I agree with this. My current agency wants me to get certified to be a DT instructor (because of my background), but after seeing what was taught, Im not so sure that I can, in good conscience.
                            From what I have seen, SD is similar to fire arms training, generally minimal in most PDs. Some better then others no doubt, but all the guys I know good with guns or hands on, did the work on their own time, unless attached to special units and such. Would you concur?
                            - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy_do_right View Post
                              I'm looking for training that's simple to remember, easy to practice, and gets the suspect under control quickly.
                              Krav Maga fits the first two well, I can't speak to the third. Others here might be able to cover how they use Krav Maga on the job.
                              - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6230 users online. 360 members and 5870 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X