300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended protein supplement?

Hey all you pros, got a quick question. I've recently lost 30 pounds due to actually working out, eating right and proper portion size, (No HCG or no carb diet buddy) but still have a question. I usually jog three days a week, two 4-6 milers and then one 10-13 miler (Ran my first half-marathon distance yesterday.) I also try to hit the gym at least two to three days a week. I've slowly incorporated some crossfit workouts (Which by the way kick your @ss.) I'm sure my body probably needs some additional protein, but I truly have no idea on what to get. I'm not looking to bulk up at all. I'm trying to get a trim and fit look. The only thing I take right now are Glucosamin supplements for my knees and that's it. I also would like to know when I should consume the shake. I want to get stronger, live a healthier life, and be a better physically fit officer, so any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks

Any decent whey protien supplement should do the trick.... If You are taking whey within 30 minutes after the workout is what is normally reccomended to help the healing start right away. You could also try taking casein or other longer lasting protiens before bed to aid in the recovery process.

Comment

^ What he/she said. Additionally, I have found that the two most important factors when buying a protein are taste, and how well it mixes. I'd rather spend a little more for a protein that tastes great and mixes well without a lot of nasty clumps, than pay less for the opposite. And yet, often it seems that the kind I'm after is one of the cheapest out there...which is a darn good thing. I've been using ON Gold Standard Whey, but even the Vitamin Shoppe's Pro Tech 24 is good. Sometimes they'll have it on sale where if you buy one, you'll get the second for half off, and that'll give you two 5lb tubs.
      Last edited by InspctrClouseau; 03-16-2011, 04:32 PM.

Comment

What they said....and if you buy whey you just have to make sure it is 100% whey (most are). It can get expensive, so I get this:

http://www.vitaglo.com/whprsubl25lb.html

Its a 25 pound bucket for $115, chocolate or vanilla (chocolate often backordered). It should last you six months at least. It mixes easily in a blender or you can get a shaker bottle in case your using it at odd hours and dont want to wake people up.

Comment

Originally posted by nmc View Post
          What they said....and if you buy whey you just have to make sure it is 100% whey (most are). It can get expensive, so I get this:

http://www.vitaglo.com/whprsubl25lb.html

Its a 25 pound bucket for $115, chocolate or vanilla (chocolate often backordered). It should last you six months at least. It mixes easily in a blender or you can get a shaker bottle in case your using it at odd hours and dont want to wake people up.
          Holy crap! $115.00 for 25 pounds is a sweet deal.

Comment

I am a fan of Optimum Nutrition (ON) for 100% whey as well as my all time favorite Dymatize Elite both mix well with a shaker cup and both taste good. Dymatize Mint Chocolate tastes like thin mint cookies . Both can be found for $35ish for 5lbs sometimes cheaper on the internet.

Comment

Not sure how much you weigh but according to most, that will affect how much protein you want to take in. I use Pro Complex because it has a lot and im about 220 lbs. Thats a lot of chicken and tuna without supplements.
              For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Like others, I'm a big fan of ON. It's not extremely expensive and tastes good. I've also used EAS I think (The purple/silver bag), and GNC, and both of them are good.
                Last edited by Item9; 03-17-2011, 01:24 AM.

Comment

I too am a supporter of ON for daily whey protein intake

Comment

See this thread:
                    http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...-Protein-Mixes
                    Lots of recommended brands and even what to mix them with.
                    www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

Syntha 6 is good nightime protien as it is a slower absorbing complex of 6 types of protiens, stick with Whey for right after workouts

Comment

trueprotein.com, get it direct from the supplier, no middle man, cuts the cost. Whey, casein, rice, hemp, egg, theyve got it all. my discount code is in my signature, anyone that wants to can use it at checkout for 5% off their order- not huge savings, but it helps. compare the price of Whey concentrate on trueprotein.com to what GNC or Vitamin shoppe sell- even after shipping you're still saving money. just keep an eye on how much you've got left and give 5-6 days for shipping. i usually order 8-9lbs of Whey and 4-5lbs of waxy maize, sometimes 1lb of creatine and 1lb of luecine. i know for a fact that i would be paying almost double/month if i bought in the store.
                        use my trueprotein.com discount code for 5% off- MTD244

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

I am not a big fan of protein in a supplement. I find that my body took off when I switched from a supplemental whey to good-ol-chicken or 90% lean hamburger. When I did use protein I used Beverly Intl. Ultimate Muscle Protein. That stuff was the best I ever had. Not your run of the mill bulk junk protein. I still get cravings for it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6249 users online. 344 members and 5905 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X