300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backpacking & Hiking

I'm planning and prepping for a 3-4 day, 30-40 mile hike and backpacking excursion. This is the first time I've ever done anything like this and am looking for some tips/ideas to make the trip that much better.

So far my pack consists of:

-Inner frame hiking pack with built in camel-bak
    -Iodine tablets
    -Solo tent
    -Fishing gear
    -Food supplies for 6 days
    -Cooking utensils
    -Toiletries
    -Bug Spray
    -First aid/rescue
    -Pistol/Ammo
    -Clothing
    -Hatchet

Anything big I'm missing or something extra you put in? I'm hiking "easy" terrain, no mountains or cliffs, just hills and shorelines. Temperature should be 50f at night and 80f during the day. Thoughts? Advice?
    "I would suggest that when a person has a thought of doing anything serious against the law, that before they did, that they should go to a quiet place and think about it seriously."

William George Bonin - Executed in Calfornia Feb 23rd 1996

Is this the first time you've been backpacking or the first time making a multi day hike? You taking any type of sleeping bag and/or sleeping pad? Don't forget a charged cell phone, a flashlight or two and a good knife. Hiking burns a lot of calories, so plan on that. I'd pack dry fruit and nuts, energy bars, etc. as between meal snacks. Throw some Immodium (sp?) into your pack as well. It's been years since I've done any type of hiking and camping and I am planning to get back into it. Go to a good book store and pick up a copy of "Backpacker" magazine. I ended up subscribing online for something like $20 a year.

Comment

You need the ten essentials. I suggest a water filter instead of iodine tablets. At 80 deg, you'll need a lot of water. When you're thirsty, you won't want to wait 30 minutes for the iodine to work. You also won't like the taste. A folding saw will get you more firewood with less effort than a hatchet.

Comment

Shovel (one of those military folding shovels works well)

Folding saw is definitely the way to go.

Many, many socks. Change them out every few hours. When you stop for the night, wash them and hang them to dry over night.

In relation to the above, foot powder will be your friend as well.

Sunglasses.

Brimmed hat with a neck protector.

a reel of 550 cord. That stuff comes in handy ALL the time.

Flashlight and extra batteries.

Sleeping bad and lightweight sleeping bag. That 50 degree night will feel downright frigid after hiking all day in the 80 degree temps.
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

I'm sure you've thought about this, but make sure your boots are good and supportive.
          -matches in waterproof container/lighter
          -sunscreen
          -mole skin (just in case you get foot blisters)
          -if solo, I'd take a beacon (think of 127 hours!)
          -map of area (topo)
          -most important... Camera.
          Have fun!
          "... Somewhere Between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace..."

Comment

Don't forget...

Rain Gear
            A decent knife (no keychain swiss army knife, a good single blade fold knife will be good)
            Multi-Tool
            Flashlight (w/ extra batteries)
            First Aid Kit
            WATER BOTTLE
            Extra socks
            Live with honor, and let not your death be born by the pallbearers of disgrace, cruelty, weakness, and fear.

Comment

I'd ditch the hatchet, fishing gear, and pistol.

Get a plastic trowel from REI or the Walmart camping section.

Iodine works but it takes awhile, I like my SteriPen. Whittle the first aid down to a few band aids and some gauze, everything else will take care of itself.

I'd also get some Bodyglide...find it at Dicks or REI or whatever but it's a life saver.

Comment

Originally posted by Seventy2002 View Post
                ...I suggest a water filter instead of iodine tablets....
                Has anyone used the Lifesaver bottle? They look impressive; I'm thinking of getting one.

Comment

Also, a lightweight camping towel is very useful.

Definitely go with some sort of water filter or waterbottle/filter combo.....iodine just plain sucks...
                  Live with honor, and let not your death be born by the pallbearers of disgrace, cruelty, weakness, and fear.

Comment

I'm planning and prepping for a 3-4 day, 30-40 mile hike and backpacking excursion. This is the first
                    time I've ever done anything like this and am looking for some tips/ideas to make the trip that much better.

Since no one else has mentioned it..... You might want to practice rucking with that fully loaded pack with the shoes you are gonna wear for a few weeks leading up to this. Twice a week on weeknights and one long weekend hike should condition your feet, back and shoulders. Terrain is a factor to be sure but how much you hump on your back can make those flat surfaces seem very challenging. That's a lot of distance in a short time if you aren't used to it. Becomes an issue when you are recovering from day one, and day two. By day four you don't want to be hating life just trying to make it to your end point.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3588 users online. 222 members and 3366 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X