300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P90X, Insanity

So I have been working out for a little while and have dropped from around 260 to around 205-210 range. I borrowed Insanity for a while from a friend and liked it. I am have some fat on me and trying to get healthier for when I apply to police departments in 2 years. What I was wondering to lose weight and prepare for police department agility testing should I get P90X or Insanity? Also, using one of these programs should I continue to do my dumbbell exercises too or just working on things like running, push ups etc that are on the agility tests? Thanks ahead of time.

You'll have to be more specific about the police test you're planning on taking.

Do you have any other goals, besides the police exam? 2 years is enough time to change your entire life, not just get a mile time down.

Both of them will cut fat, and get you in better cardiovascular shape, if followed correctly.

Comment

Any police exam, I am just trying to get in better shape. I would also like to get stronger.

Comment

Both will get you in great shape for any kind of PT test. Insanity is much more cardio and calisthenics which is great academy prep training. It wont really build muscle as much as make you leaner. With P90X you can definitely build muscle as they let you choose the weights according to your goals. They say several times in the video "if you want size do 8-10 reps, if you want a lean look do 10-12". You just have to buy the weights. I saw amazing results from both programs. As long as you stick to the schedule it will work well.

Comment

Would it be over training to do say a weight routine, insanity then run or something?

Comment

I wouldnt do all of them in one day if thats what you mean. But breaking them up throughout the week wouldnt be bad. Insanity is exactly what the name says it is. It takes a LOT out of you. Recovery afterwards is essential.

Comment

So, would like this work. Do Insanity Mon-Sat. Weights on Mon,Wed,Fri then running on Tues, Thurs, and Sat and have Sunday be a free day?

Comment

It could work, but you sound like you have no idea what you're doing, so you won't know how to balance it out

p90x and insanity are popular because the "programs" work, not because they are good 2 days a week, between weight training sessions.

I haven't done either program, but I know very strong, athletic people who have done them and are dead tired from the program as is. If you're going to do weight lifting and cardio, there are dozens of programs to do that also.

p90x and insanity will make you stronger and get you in cardio shape. Weight lifting and a proper diet will make you stronger and bigger.

You still didn't say what type of police test. They are way different around the country. Some places take some preparation and training, while others are much simpler.

To do insanity, weight lifting, and running is not advisable. You would probably be so tired that there wouldn't be any improvment, and you might hurt yourself.

Comment

You are right. I don't know what I am doing. That is why I am asking here. I am just trying to slim down then get stronger. The problem is I don't know what kind of police test it will be. I will be applying to departments all over the country that all have different tests. I just want to try and get into good shape so I will have an easy time preparing for the tests I do take.

Comment

Just do P90X, that will help with anything you want to do. It will make you lose weight, make you lean, and also build muscle mass. You say you have 2 yrs before applying. So do the P90X for the 90 days that it calls for. You can continue on after the 90 days of course. If you arent happy then go to Insanity, if that doesnt make you happy then hit the gym and pound out some weights. If I remember right on weights its the more weight at smaller reps will get you bigger, and light weight and big reps will make you leaner (make you look cut).

Comment

If you want a police job in 2 years start applying now.

Seriously

Comment

Can't, I am turning 19 this month.

Comment

Originally posted by Sublime View Post
                          I am just trying to slim down then get stronger.
                          Then i'd recommend doing either p90x or insanity, probably whichever you can afford, and just follow that program exactly as is.

Good luck. Keep us updated on what you're doing!

Comment

Originally posted by Mud_Pig View Post
                            If I remember right on weights its the more weight at smaller reps will get you bigger, and light weight and big reps will make you leaner (make you look cut).
                            Please stop trying to give fitness advice

Comment

Sublime, you probably don't need as much advice as you think...you have managed to lose 50lbs of unwanted weight, so you are doing something right.

To address your question, there is no right answer. You are only 19 and have plenty of time, try both programs and see which you prefer, which you can stick to, and if you can generate better results with one over the other. You can also go in a completely different direction and nail down a solid nutrition plan, hit the weights hard with mild cardio and can both slim down and gain strength...I say this assuming you have limited, if any, true weight lifting experience (moving some dumbbells around doesn't count).

Post what you are currently doing with dumbbells, and if you have access/can go to a gym. Remember for gaining strength you need proper nutrition, progressive overload (to start), and adequate rest.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3451 users online. 192 members and 3259 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X