300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did i waste $60?

OK, I'm on my second round of P90X, and I just got finished with the second phase. I've been having problems with muscle pain after my workouts. So, during the recovery week, I decided it was time to get serious about my post workout drink. I went to a local store for supplements and began talking to one of the sales people there who are all 'certified sports nutritionists'.

He sold me on 1st Phorm brand, Phormula 1 Whey protein powder, and Ignition Glycogen. I've been mixing a drink after the workouts per the instructions on the bottle. I was told by the guy who sold this stuff to me it would help with muscle pain and get rid of it "like 90%".

I don't know if it's just because I started a new phase or if I just went extra hard these last few workouts, but I am more sore now then ever. I honestly don't remember being this sore at the start of the 3rd phase on my first round of P90X.

My post workout shake before consisted of light vanilla soy milk (I'm lactose intolerant), designer whey protein powder, ice, and a banana all blended together. This was considerably cheaper than the stuff I just bought, and seemed to be working better.

So, did I just waste $60 on this crap? Was what I was doing before fine as far as the type of carbs I should be feeding my body to restore my glycogen levels? Or should I actually give it more than a few days seeing as though I just started the 3rd phase?

Thanks in advance...

Originally posted by amw315 View Post
    OK, I'm on my second round of P90X, and I just got finished with the second phase. I've been having problems with muscle pain after my workouts. So, during the recovery week, I decided it was time to get serious about my post workout drink. I went to a local store for supplements and began talking to one of the sales people there who are all 'certified sports nutritionists'.

He sold me on 1st Phorm brand, Phormula 1 Whey protein powder, and Ignition Glycogen. I've been mixing a drink after the workouts per the instructions on the bottle. I was told by the guy who sold this stuff to me it would help with muscle pain and get rid of it "like 90%".

I don't know if it's just because I started a new phase or if I just went extra hard these last few workouts, but I am more sore now then ever. I honestly don't remember being this sore at the start of the 3rd phase on my first round of P90X.

My post workout shake before consisted of light vanilla soy milk (I'm lactose intolerant), designer whey protein powder, ice, and a banana all blended together. This was considerably cheaper than the stuff I just bought, and seemed to be working better.

So, did I just waste $60 on this crap? Was what I was doing before fine as far as the type of carbs I should be feeding my body to restore my glycogen levels? Or should I actually give it more than a few days seeing as though I just started the 3rd phase?

Thanks in advance...
    So you took the word of a minimum wage sales person about being a "certified sports nutritionist" of which probably takes a 4 year degree in nutrition in the first part. Remember the saying "If it sounds too good to be true it probably is" applies at this time. Just hydrate and take some aspirin or ibuprofen for the pain.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Yes.

10 characters.

Comment

Can you be more specific about the type of pain you are feeling? Are you legitately in pain, or just sore? Is the pain more intense in some areas? How long does the discomfort last? After a few hours of rest do you feel better? How about after a full nights sleep? Do you go into a workout still experiencing pain from the workout of the previous day?

A bit more information may help us understand if you are feeling sore from exertion, pain from overuse or actually injured.

Comment

I was always told L-Carnitine and amino acids help with muscle soreness.

"By consuming the right balance of nutrients before, during, and immediately following workouts, this research shows, you can minimize the amount of muscle protein degradation that is caused by workouts and maximize the rate of post-exercise muscle protein repair and rebuilding."

What I did was look up the ingredients in the drinks that P90x suggested and added on to my already large collection of protein powder, vitamins, etc.
          You are missing a key ingredient or are not balancing correctly perhaps.

http://www.active.com/fitness/Articl...e_soreness.htm

ETA: There wasn't a damn thing I could do to get away from the soreness I felt with P90x other than take a day in between to heal and sleep. You having gone thru a round already though is odd.

World_So_Cold

Comment

Originally posted by _XD_ View Post
            Can you be more specific about the type of pain you are feeling? Are you legitately in pain, or just sore? Is the pain more intense in some areas? How long does the discomfort last? After a few hours of rest do you feel better? How about after a full nights sleep? Do you go into a workout still experiencing pain from the workout of the previous day?

A bit more information may help us understand if you are feeling sore from exertion, pain from overuse or actually injured.
            Feels like my muscles are sore. I feel fine right after, just fatigued and a little shakey. I start to feel sore the next day. Recently it would last for one-to-two days. It has started to get better so I'm not really sure what was going on. Possibly just going a little too hard on the first week.

And to the previous posters, first of all thanks. I really didn't beleive these new magical supplements were going to get rid of my muscle pain as much as the salesperson said they would. I just didn't think I would be this sore. I guess I also kinda wanted some feedback as to the type of carbs I should be getting post workout. Are the sugars from milk/soy milk and a banana the right type of carbs? Should I even be wasting money on a glucose supplement?

Comment

Originally posted by amw315 View Post
              Feels like my muscles are sore. I feel fine right after, just fatigued and a little shakey. I start to feel sore the next day. Recently it would last for one-to-two days. It has started to get better so I'm not really sure what was going on. Possibly just going a little too hard on the first week.

And to the previous posters, first of all thanks. I really didn't beleive these new magical supplements were going to get rid of my muscle pain as much as the salesperson said they would. I just didn't think I would be this sore. I guess I also kinda wanted some feedback as to the type of carbs I should be getting post workout. Are the sugars from milk/soy milk and a banana the right type of carbs? Should I even be wasting money on a glucose supplement?
              You want slow digesting complex carbs for your body throughout the day. Simple carbs (ie white bread, candy bars etc) are rapidly digested and increase your blood sugar. They also give you quick energy. The sugar you have been taking is fine.

If it was my money, I would be taking a high quality whey protein that boosts BCAA's.

Comment

MyoFusion IS a great product.

Anything by gaspari, actually.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8089 users online. 267 members and 7822 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X