300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Outside Help

Most of the winter I've been running inside due to the cold (suck) and blizzards. It's starting to get a little warmer outside, so I'm pushing myself to start putting on more miles and get the heck away from treadmills (also suck). It's still cold out though, in the 30's, and I've noticed that I start to get dizzy and get a headache when I've been out for about 15-20 minutes. I think the cold is really getting to me.

Problem is, I'm not sure if I should wear a knit cap and gloves, because I also don't want to sweat my *** off. Should I just deal with it and wear a knit cap, even if it will make me sweat twice as much? I just hate the feeling of ending a run with my ears hurting and feeling dizzy once I get inside a heated building. I'm also weary of sweating too much outside, because I don't want to start getting cold from all the sweat under my sweatshirt.

I must say though, even though it doesn't feel good afterward, I'm enjoying running outside. It's much more interesting, I'm not staring at those dang speed/distance/time readouts, and I can adjust my pace as necessary. Right now I'm running about 2-3 miles at an average of 7:45-8:10 a mile. I'm hoping to have it up to 5 miles at an 8:00-9:00 pace by mid-April. I'll never do that on a treadmill, because I get extremely bored around mile 2.5.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

Originally posted by FlyChicaga View Post
    Problem is, I'm not sure if I should wear a knit cap and gloves, because I also don't want to sweat my *** off. .
    www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

You do lose most of your body heat from your head so if you are an old fart like me I would wear the hat and simply take it off if you start sweating too much <--- and I came up with that without a certificate in nutrition of sports science -- a private joke between me and my alter ego and in reference to another thread...
      Last edited by GrayPatriot; 03-11-2011, 03:11 PM. Reason: Lost my mind!

Comment

I stick with a base layer-under armour, long sleeve t-shirt, shorts, thin hat and thin gloves. If you get hot, take the hat off for a few minutes. You could try warming up indoors with pushups or whatever to get the heart going and get some warm air in the lungs first too.

Comment

Originally posted by hrlz001 View Post
          I stick with a base layer-under armour, long sleeve t-shirt, shorts, thin hat and thin gloves. If you get hot, take the hat off for a few minutes. You could try warming up indoors with pushups or whatever to get the heart going and get some warm air in the lungs first too.
          I see you changed your state from NY but you still list your occupation as State Trooper, which we know is a lie!!!!! What don't you go ahead and change your occupation too while you are at it! A huge integrity issue...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3420 users online. 176 members and 3244 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X