300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality diet. Opinions?

OK, now that I am on active duty, I am trying to drop about 15 pounds. I'm in pretty good shape already but am trying to go from 210 to 195. People always debate low fat v. low carb but now most experts are saying that high protein, good low glycemic carbs( high fiber) and good fats are the way to go. So, I came up with a daily diet that I have been doing and it's been working pretty well:

Breakfast

1/2 cup oatmeal mixed with blue berries and a tablespoon of almond butter
    1 scoop of protein
    a glass of low sodium V8

Mid morning Snack

Myoplex shake

Lunch

lean turkey and one slice of alpine lace swiss, romaine lettuce, tomato, spicy mustard on low carb old el paso rap.

mid afternoon snack

Atkins bar

pre dinner snack

One serving of pistachios

Dinner

5 egg white omelette w/ tomatoes, peppers, onions, 1 ounce of low fat mozzerella cheese, 2 slices of turkey bacon
    1 sweet potato

I'm weird because I like breakfast for dinner, although occassionally I will substitute a chicken breast for the egg whites. Additionally, I drink water all day long and alternate cardio days and resistance days at the gym. I will also have one cheat meal a week.

I have dropped about 3 pounds in the last week and am not eating anything that I don't like just because someone tells me it's good for me. That, I think is the key.

Thoughts?

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Okay, so I ran down the macros for each of the items listed and here is what I came up with (let me know how close you think I am...):

Total Calories - 2409
    Protein - 183 grams (39.7% of your diet)
    Carbs - 174 grams (37.7% of your diet)
    Fat - 105 grams (20.6% of your diet)

Overall, I don't think that is a bad split. Optimally, I would try to aim for something along the lines of 40/30/30, but you're pretty close. The only thing that I might suggest is swapping out the pistachios for something else. One serving of pistachios is about 120 grams and that alone is 685 calories (25 grams protein, 34 grams carbs, and 55 grams fat). In other words, you're taking in 1/4 of your calories (and about half of your fats) just from pistachios.

Do you know how many calories you were burning throughout the day at 210? If you do, try to reduce your caloric intake by 300-500 (or, alternatively, burn 300-500 more throughout the day). As you lose more weight, you'll have to adjust. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by trek_6k View Post
      Okay, so I ran down the macros for each of the items listed and here is what I came up with (let me know how close you think I am...):

Total Calories - 2409
      Protein - 183 grams (39.7% of your diet)
      Carbs - 174 grams (37.7% of your diet)
      Fat - 105 grams (20.6% of your diet)

Overall, I don't think that is a bad split. Optimally, I would try to aim for something along the lines of 40/30/30, but you're pretty close. The only thing that I might suggest is swapping out the pistachios for something else. One serving of pistachios is about 120 grams and that alone is 685 calories (25 grams protein, 34 grams carbs, and 55 grams fat). In other words, you're taking in 1/4 of your calories (and about half of your fats) just from pistachios.

Do you know how many calories you were burning throughout the day at 210? If you do, try to reduce your caloric intake by 300-500 (or, alternatively, burn 300-500 more throughout the day). As you lose more weight, you'll have to adjust. Good luck!
      I think we may be off on what constitutes a serving of pistachios and might account for our numbers being off. I am talking about a serving of the 180 calorie variety, as in an ounce( about 6 grams of protein, 8 grams of carbs and 13 grams of fat). I had my overall calorie intake in the neighborhood of 2,000 so that would explain the discrepancy.

Otherwise we're close but that knocks 40 grams off my fat intake. I eat nuts for their fiber content and their other nutritional qualities. But as you pointed out, as healthy as they are, they are very calorie dense and you should only eat a small portion. Notice also that my almond butter is only one tablespoon or 1/2 a serving. Again, great stuff nutritionwise but you need to be careful.

Comment

40-40-20 is a good plan in my opinion. I did it for a while, though I am on a very low carb diet right now (less than 100g carbs a day) and I am seeing excellent results. Like you I am trying to drop about 15 pounds, maybe more once I reach that goal. I'm skipping the cheat meals though because they always turn into cheat days, or even worse, the whole diet is derailed.
        What is Perseverance?
        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
          40-40-20 is a good plan in my opinion. I did it for a while, though I am on a very low carb diet right now (less than 100g carbs a day) and I am seeing excellent results. Like you I am trying to drop about 15 pounds, maybe more once I reach that goal. I'm skipping the cheat meals though because they always turn into cheat days, or even worse, the whole diet is derailed.
          Too hard for me to skip although I may go a solid two weeks before a cheat meal. Living is Kansas isn't making it easy for me either. LOL. Too much beef and BBQ. ( Hereford House).

Comment

Originally posted by Ex Army MP View Post
            Too hard for me to skip although I may go a solid two weeks before a cheat meal. Living is Kansas isn't making it easy for me either. LOL. Too much beef and BBQ. ( Hereford House).
            Tell me about it. Though steak alone isn't bad for you. It's the side dishes and desserts that get me.

Good luck reaching your fitness goals.
            What is Perseverance?
            -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
            -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
            -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5412 users online. 176 members and 5236 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X