300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It pays off...

So, I had my PT test today for a job that I have been processing for for nearly a year an a half. When I first started running a year and a half ago, I ran my mile in 16:50 and I weighed 290 lbs.

I lost 50 lbs and have been running 3 or 4 days a week doing distance, intervals, and a mixed bag of workouts from Stew Smith and others.

I ran my 1.5 mile in 12:13, a personal best for me. No one knew it but me, but inside I thought to myself, all that hard work paid off. When I watched men 10 years younger than me that weighed half as much as I do struggle to just maintain a run throughout the 1.5 mile course I couldn't beleive my eyes. People have been doing this for over a year and they are not prepared? WOW.

I just wanted to share that my hard work paid off. 12:13 isn't all that impressive, I know, but for me, it was a personal best and for anyone else out there who is working really hard for the same goal, your time will come to leave it all on the track.

I hope that this inspires someone that has started off struggling and is working hard for their goal.
    "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

Well done! 12:13 for someone in the 240# range is nothing to sneeze at. Keep at it and you'll be embarrassing even younger bucks soon.

Comment

Congrats!

Nothing is more enjoyable than being the big old guy that smokes the youngsters. Its one the reason's I always looked forward to PT tests.
      Originally posted by kontemplerande
      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Thanks all! I know that I have looked at these boards a lot looking for some inspiration and have been in those spots before where it's 20 degrees and the sun hasn't even come up yet and I am ready to start my run and have thought...."Do I really want to do this?" The answer is YES. Because it does pay off.

Comment

Nice Job Brother, I remember you and I coming up together with our running questions. I'm very happy for you man, You were a great help for me when I first started etc.

You know I root for us over 240lbs crew
          MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Good job! Don't sell yourself short on your time.

Comment

It's a great feeling to see/feel the fruits of your labor. Good job. Keep going.

Comment

Great work!!! It definitely shows that nothing comes easy. Those younger, slimmer guys who were struggling to get the job done... I'm sure it feels great to know that you put it HARD work and it paid off. Congrats!!

Comment

shoot I just want to get back to my academy time of 9:03. LMAO. good job bro.

Comment

Good job man. I have been back on the working out routine since last spring ( a bit over a year now) and have dropped 30 lbs and been able to run 1.5 miles at 13 minutes (my best time was 12 during my Navy time I think)

But anyway, to anyone who is doing this on the long term, I would recommend keep a log of what you do several times a week, cause the best results take a long time to achieve. It hit me the other day that I dropped 30 lbs, and the weights I use for lifting are both 30-40lbs, which is quite heavy for the body to carry on all day, everyday.

Good luck everybody

Comment

excellent work! Its true, there aint no way but the hard way. Keep it up! Now lets see if you can catch my 9:45...1.5 mile time!

Comment

Originally posted by syphon157 View Post
                        excellent work! Its true, there aint no way but the hard way. Keep it up! Now lets see if you can catch my 9:45...1.5 mile time!
                        Now you're just breaking balls.... ha ha ha!

Comment

Good job. I lost 150 lbs to get the job!

Comment

Originally posted by POSr View Post
                            Now you're just breaking balls.... ha ha ha!
                            Missed this when you initially posted, but congrats on your achievement.

I have never seen anyone mention it on this site but excess weight is a huge factor in your run time. There is a non scientific formula which states you lose ~2seconds for every excess pound of weight a mile. So if you are 10 pounds overweight you will lose 30 seconds on your 1.5 mile.

So... if you were around 195pounds you would be right around syphon's time without changing anything to your routine; this is simply by losing the weight. It is pretty much like the same concept as pullups. When you see the skinny 140 guy knocking out 20 pullups like it is nothing. I am more impressed with the 220 pound guy knocking out 15 than the bag of bones going all day on the pull up bar!

Comment

Good job to all of you. Im looking to get started running. Does anyone have a good starting program?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6721 users online. 271 members and 6450 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X