300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workout of the Day!!!

OK, I know there are a lot of different systems out there... P90X, Crossfit, Ross Enamait (enthusiasts).
    I thought it would be cool if we started a Workout of the Day thread to share our workouts.

So here it is:
    Workout of the Day #1

I found this one online. Here's what the workout called for
    Complete as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:
    95 pound Thruster, 5 reps
    95 pound Hang Powercleans, 7 reps
    95 pound Sumo Deadlift High-pull, 10 reps

This is what I did...
    7 rounds in about 15 minutes w/ a 75lb barbell
    75 pound Thruster, 5 reps
    75 pound Hang Powercleans, 7 reps
    75 pound Sumo Deadlift High-pull, 10 reps

I probably could have done another set, but I bailed out...
    This is a hard exercise b/c in addition to the actual weights, it hard to control your breathing. You're constantly exerting yourself and exhaling as you use force. So you don't really get a chance to get a deep breath in on an inhale. It wipes you out!!

I ended up jumping on the treadmill and doing a light job for 5 minutes afterwords. Despite the dead-lift and thrusters, this exercise is really all upper body. So, it's a good routine to start w/ if you want to finish w/ legs or some treadmill. You can also try doing the above routine followed by 100 consecutive body-weight squats to burn out your legs...

4 hours of physical therapy was my workout yesterday, today and tomorrow. fun fun fun
    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Ahhhh.... That's the worst!

Svcks getting old. I joke around w/ one of my friends. We say we're doing everything wrong. The guys who are fat, eat junk food, and drink beer are perfectly healthy. They never have any problems w/ there backs, muscles aches, and there cholesterol is perfect.

But people like me who love to exercise are prone to back spasms... My friend who also goes to the gym about 5 days a week is falling apart. His shoulder is jacked up. He was doing physical therapy for a while but the insurance stopped covering it. He also did the Warrior Dash a few months ago and ended up coming down on his ankle and messed up a ligament. So, now he's going to physical therapy for that too. Go figure...

Comment

Aint' that the truth! When I got injured on duty and was in the ambulance, my Sgt, a great guy but very overweight comes over to me and says, "All you pretty boy bodybuilders with your weights and muscles always get hurt but us old fat boys, we still standin' strong." I thought to myself, what is this now, the umpteenth time I've been hurt, maybe I should just stop working out and get super fat!
        Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

That workout is a CrossFit workout, one that has been around for quite some time.

Not that i'm saying you did this, but picking random workouts and posting them is not a good way to go about training.

While CrossFit appears to be random, it is not. It follows a protocol , one that I recommend to all LEO.

If you're hurting your back lifting, you're doing it wrong.
          IEA
          ----
          Written 6/2009 (Eligibility expires 6/2012)

BPA (Southern Border)
          ----
          Written 9/2009 (Eligibility expires 8/2011)
          Tentative Selection 8/2010
          *Application withdrawn due to relocation*

NYPD
          ----
          Written 8/2010 (91%)

FAMS
          ----
          CO 11/1
          FAB 12/9 - passed
          Panel/PTA/SAC - X

Comment

Way to ruin the fun...

Yeah, I grabbed that workout off the crossfit website. I actually mostly follow Ross Enamait's stuff. ( I have 4 of his books. - Infinite Intensity, Never Gymless, Boxer's Guide to Performance Enhancement, & Underground Guide to Warrior Fitness.) But I recently started looking at the crossfit website to get ideas for some different workouts. I've been doing all kinds of fitness for about 15 years now. I've also been kickboxing for 10 years and have about 20 amateur fights. I'm not an "expert" but I am pretty confident of what I'm doing...

Ross's Forum has a long running thread for "Workout of the Week" http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/vi...hp?f=1&t=19144
            I thought it would be nice to create a similar type thread on this forum. I wasn't expecting this to turn into a who knows more about fitness thread... Oh Well, if that's the case then I'll just skip it and stick w/ the thread on Ross's site.

Comment

Originally posted by sln78 View Post
              Way to ruin the fun...

Yeah, I grabbed that workout off the crossfit website. I actually mostly follow Ross Enamait's stuff. ( I have 4 of his books. - Infinite Intensity, Never Gymless, Boxer's Guide to Performance Enhancement, & Underground Guide to Warrior Fitness.) But I recently started looking at the crossfit website to get ideas for some different workouts. I've been doing all kinds of fitness for about 15 years now. I've also been kickboxing for 10 years and have about 20 amateur fights. I'm not an "expert" but I am pretty confident of what I'm doing...

Ross's Forum has a long running thread for "Workout of the Week" http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/vi...hp?f=1&t=19144
              I thought it would be nice to create a similar type thread on this forum. I wasn't expecting this to turn into a who knows more about fitness thread... Oh Well, if that's the case then I'll just skip it and stick w/ the thread on Ross's site.

This was not my intention at all. While you may be quite knowledgeable in regards to fitness, people visiting this thread may not be. Some of the movements in that WOD are pretty advanced. Perhaps a link to the movements explaining on how to do them correctly would be helpful.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...BThrusters.wmv

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/c...ower-clean.wmv

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_SDHP.wmv
              http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...na_SDHPpre.wmv

All links taken from the CrossFit exercise & demo page.
              IEA
              ----
              Written 6/2009 (Eligibility expires 6/2012)

BPA (Southern Border)
              ----
              Written 9/2009 (Eligibility expires 8/2011)
              Tentative Selection 8/2010
              *Application withdrawn due to relocation*

NYPD
              ----
              Written 8/2010 (91%)

FAMS
              ----
              CO 11/1
              FAB 12/9 - passed
              Panel/PTA/SAC - X

Comment

Way to ruin the fun...

Good choice on the Ross stuff. Im actually a moderator over there at his forums.
                I noticed that you dont have Full Throttle Conditioning yet....any reason why?
                www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

Originally posted by brownj21 View Post
                  Good choice on the Ross stuff. Im actually a moderator over there at his forums.
                  I noticed that you dont have Full Throttle Conditioning yet....any reason why?
                  That's awesome, I love Ross!!!
                  I got my friend (who I mentioned above) into Ross. He bought the package deal w/ all 3 books/video. Ross put a little note in the package to enjoy, and feel free to share info/video w/ friends - just please don't make copies...
                  Anyway, I checked out the video and book and added some stuff from there into my workout.

Like I said I've been kickboxing for over 10 years. When I 1st found his website he was still selling the Boxers Guide and the Underground Guide. Infinite Intensity is my favorite... but I'm happy I found the previous books when I did. They definitely helped my workouts. Great stuff!!

Comment

That's awesome, I love Ross!!!
                    I got my friend (who I mentioned above) into Ross. He bought the package deal w/ all 3 books/video. Ross put a little note in the package to enjoy, and feel free to share info/video w/ friends - just please don't make copies...
                    Anyway, I checked out the video and book and added some stuff from there into my workout.

Like I said I've been kickboxing for over 10 years. When I 1st found his website he was still selling the Boxers Guide and the Underground Guide. Infinite Intensity is my favorite... but I'm happy I found the previous books when I did. They definitely helped my workouts. Great stuff!!
                    Thats cool.
                    Yeah, I was a member when it was warriorforce.com and he was selling those other books as well. I think I have all of them, except for the Boxer's Guide, actually.
                    Infinite Intensity is definitely my favorite as well. I bought an extra copy because mine was all beat up, no cover, etc. So now, I still use that beat up copy and keep the good one on my shelf of workout books.
                    www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

Ahhh.... that's right. I forgot he also used to have a warriorforce.com url.

My friend's book was getting beat up. So, he took a bunch of pictures of the workouts w/ his cell phone.
                      Now when he's at the gym he just scans through the pics in his cell to put together a workout.

I'll post tomorrow's "Workout Of the Day" when i get back from the gym.
                      I usually head to the gym during my lunch break...

Comment

From Crossfit Football's website

3x5 Squats
                        3x5 Overhead presses
                        waited 15 minutes then:
                        30 Kbell swings (45#)for one min , rest one minute x 5

My finisher: Pullups to failure

Comment

Workout of the Day

Here's what I did today:

5 burpees
                          1/8 mile (200 meters) on treadmill @ 8mph.
                          Repeat this non-stop for 20 minutes.

- leave the treadmill running in between burpee sets so you can just jump off and on w/out having to restart it.
                          Last edited by sln78; 01-04-2011, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Workout of the Day

Here's what I did today:

5 burpees
                            1/8 mile (200 meters) on treadmill @ 8mph.
                            Repeat this non-stop for 20 minutes.

- leave the treadmill running in between burpee sets so you can just jump off and on w/out having to restart it.
                            Nice. Anything that includes burpees is a good workout.

Other examples:

Burpees and Kettlebell Swings

Burpees and Sledgehammer swings (or medicine ball slams)

Burpees and Heavy Bag punches/kicks

Burpees and eating a meatball sub from Firehouse

ETC.
                            www.ShankAZombie.com

Comment

Originally posted by brownj21 View Post
                              Burpees and eating a meatball sub from Firehouse = Pukie
                              "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7234 users online. 260 members and 6974 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X