Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and weight training?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and weight training?

    OK, here's the deal. I've been training in BJJ 4-5 times a week for the last year. Recently, I started doing 3-4 spin classes a week as well to help my cardio and strengthen my legs to improve my guard. Now, I think I want to start doing some weight training on top of it all. I've never been big into weight training, though, and have almost zero experience. Are there any fellow grapplers out there that could give me a simple 3 or 4 day a week weight training schedule that will help me get to the top of my BJJ game?

  • #2
    In before Crossfit answers.
    www.ShankAZombie.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by brownj21 View Post
      In before Crossfit answers.
      Hahaha! I don't know jack about BJJ (unfortunately), so I don't know if Crossfit is the best thing for that or not. From what I've seen of BJJ, I would think exercises that strengthen your core would be tremendously helpful. Also, grip strength seems like it'd be important.
      So I'd recommend working pullups, front squats, back squats, and deadlifts. But I'd recommend that for just about any kind of weight training. Maybe someone who actually knows something about BJJ can recommend something more specific.
      "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

      Comment


      • #4
        Did ground fighting and kickboxing for 3 years awhile back before I got into police work. Our trainer used to have a weight lifting session before our 3 hour training. It was just on Tues/Thurs though. During training, we'd do a lot of boxing workouts (jump ropes, squats, box jumps) so it was good cardio/leg workout after doing weight training like squats, shoulders, and bench. His style of training was a good 1/2 and 1/2 mix of actual hands on grappling and PT. All in all with weight training, it was a good 4 hour evening.

        It'll be more of a preference thing for you personally as far as what you do. I prefer using dumbells and the only time I touch a bar is when I'm doing pullups or working shoulders. I recall doing lots of lunges/situps/pushups/pullups though.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Counter-Strike View Post
          help my cardio and strengthen my legs to improve my guard. Now, I think I want to start doing some weight training on top of it all. I've never been big into weight training, though, and have almost zero experience. Are there any fellow grapplers out there that could give me a simple 3 or 4 day a week weight training schedule that will help me get to the top of my BJJ game?
          You think Jeff Glover, Ryan Hall, Marcelo Garcia, Cobrinha, or the Riberio brothers spend too much time on weights. Granted the avengers: Pablo, Cyborg and crew are all jacked but most of BJJ is technique and not strength. I can't touch a weight without gaining weight which means I would have to move up a weight category in competition. If you compete then I would be careful about weights.

          Our professional fighters all train weights one time a week and it is all compound moves no isolation.

          Strengthen you legs for you guard? Are you talking about your closed guard? Then open it and work on butterfly, half guard or any other guard! Not knocking weights but lifting is not necessary for BJJ. I would suggest pull ups and dips. Pullups help with the pummeling and controlling the head.

          Train hard!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
            Strengthen you legs for you guard? Are you talking about your closed guard? Then open it and work on butterfly, half guard or any other guard! Not knocking weights but lifting is not necessary for BJJ. I would suggest pull ups and dips. Pullups help with the pummeling and controlling the head.
            Yeah, I was talking about closed guard. My open and butterfly guard are actually pretty good because I have long legs. I'm liking the idea of just doing pushups, pullups, and dips. I've dropped 17 pounds in the last 6 weeks for an upcoming competition, and if I lose another 15 or so, I'll be at my ideal weight. Thanks! Keep it coming!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Counter-Strike View Post
              OK, here's the deal. I've been training in BJJ 4-5 times a week for the last year. Recently, I started doing 3-4 spin classes a week as well to help my cardio and strengthen my legs to improve my guard. Now, I think I want to start doing some weight training on top of it all. I've never been big into weight training, though, and have almost zero experience. Are there any fellow grapplers out there that could give me a simple 3 or 4 day a week weight training schedule that will help me get to the top of my BJJ game?
              See:

              http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ght=5+training
              - Will

              Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

              www.OptimalSWAT.com

              General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

              www.BrinkZone.com

              Comment

              MR300x250 Tablet

              Collapse

              What's Going On

              Collapse

              There are currently 10853 users online. 383 members and 10470 guests.

              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

              Welcome Ad

              Collapse
              Working...
              X