300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in search of a work out routine

I want to change, be committed to my health, as a Detention Officer I deal with dirt bags day in and day out, sometimes we have to be physical and in the shape that I'm in, I'm more of a liability to myself and my fellow Officers, so I'am in search of a work out routine to lose weight and become lean. I'm 5'8 225 pounds of raw fat. Can someone please give me a sample work out so I can start to lose weight and become lean, thanks guys!

Originally posted by lambda3472 View Post
    I want to change, be committed to my health, as a Detention Officer I deal with dirt bags day in and day out, sometimes we have to be physical and in the shape that I'm in, I'm more of a liability to myself and my fellow Officers, so I'am in search of a work out routine to lose weight and become lean. I'm 5'8 225 pounds of raw fat. Can someone please give me a sample work out so I can start to lose weight and become lean, thanks guys!
    Well... I (predictably) will recommend Crossfit. Crossfit.com has tons of different workouts. The whole idea is you do a different one everyday. Crossfit professes to be all about functional fitness. People debate about the meaning of that term, and some people think it's total B.S., but I think it kind of applies in your case. You're not trying to "get ready for swimsuit season" and you're not going out for the varsity football team. You're just trying to lose weight and get in better shape for your job, which imposes unpredictable physical requirements at times. You might be pushing someone.. you might be pulling someone.. you might even be carrying someone. The idea is you can perform this type of movement without tearing your ACL or pulling your groin or throwing your back out. I think Crossfit would be good for that kind of thing. I also like Crossfit because it's not just endurance exercises. There's strength thrown in too... max deadlifts, max backsquats, power cleans, etc. Anyway, give the website a look, specifically look for the Workout of the Day (WOD).
    "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Crossfit is fine. But as the poster suggested, functional fitness is largely a bunch of crap.

You will get stronger and change your body composition the most through a good diet and strength training. If you really are just fat, check Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.

If you need to up your conditioning, you can always throw in some higher intensity work as well.
      "Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils"

Comment

I too recommend crossfit. It has a nice blend of strength training and cardio. There is a lot of olympic lifting involved as well as stated by adeutch which will help in a lot of activities. Another key element to crossfit is diet. Zone and paleo are both the norm. Check out www.crossfit.com
        Last edited by cunnart; 10-07-2010, 10:14 PM.

Comment

If you're going to be brainwashed by the Crossfit advocates, at least try Crossfit Football or Crossfit Strength-Bias. Crossfit itself won't improve your strength levels very much - and stronger is ALWAYS better.
          "Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils"

Comment

I've been doing a lot of Stew Smith workouts. His high level workouts are very demanding and require you to have a lot of discipline.

He has some really nice "for newbies" workouts that are totally free on his website at stewsmith.com. He's a certified PT and a former SEAL and presents his info in a way that's really easy to understand.

You don't need any special equipment or even a gym for that matter either.
            "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

Comment

What are your goals?

Your diet will probably have more impact on your weight loss than your exercise.

Comment

I have drank the CrossFit kool-aid and will be recommending it as well. However, I do not buy into the completely random and sometimes dangerous WODs that are posted on the mainsite. I train at a CrossFit box regularly 3-4 days a week, but I also recognize the need for strength work that CF does not provide adequate work for. So I follow Mark Rippletoe's "The Texas Method", and it has been working great for me. So yes, high intensity interval work(such as CrossFit), will get you lean and burn that fat, but you need to add some strength work into the mix as well.

Don't forget your nutrition plan, 80% of working out(if your trying to cut weight) is what you eat! I follow mostly a primal way of eating(see: The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson). It's been working wonders for me.
                “The Blue Book says we've got to go out and it doesn't say a damn thing about having to come back.”

-Captain Patrick Etheridge, U.S Life Saving Service

Comment

Originally posted by JT in MD View Post
                  Crossfit is fine. But as the poster suggested, functional fitness is largely a bunch of crap.

You will get stronger and change your body composition the most through a good diet and strength training. If you really are just fat, check Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.

If you need to up your conditioning, you can always throw in some higher intensity work as well.
                  I didn't suggest that functional fitness is BS. I just don't hold it up as the end all and be all. For someone who is self-described as "fat" or out of shape, I think Crossfit has a lot to offer. I admit I don't know the job duties of a Detention Officer, but I imagine it sometimes involves grappling with combative people. Crossfit workouts often include performing a variety of exercises while you're fatigued. One popular work out (Fight Gone Bad) is supposed to simulate the feeling of exertion and fatigue in an MMA fight. Do I believe it's really like an MMA fight?.. no, not really. But that's what it's striving for and the type of fitness it's geared towards. Also, note how many PDs are now using Crossfit training at their academies. I imagine it's because they find that type of fitness important for the job.

But like I said, I don't think I "drank the koolaid" yet. I still go to the gym at least twice a week and hit the bench press, the skullcrushers, the preacher curls, etc. Once in a blue moon we do benchpress at Crossfit, and despite being one of the worst Crossfitters (slowest times, etc) I put up more weight than 90% of the Crossfitters there. At a certain point, pushups and ring dips ain't gonna increase your bench press, and I don't think doing dozens of squats at 20% of your max is going increase your max squat as fast as squatting heavy 2 or 3 times a week.

So if the OP's primary goal is to put on as much muscle as quickly as possible, then no I don't recommend Crossfit. But it sounded to me like his goals were more along the lines of just losing some weight and getting in shape.

Also as JTinMD said, take a good look at your diet. It's less fun than working out, but it's equally, if not more, important.
                  "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

There's no reason you can't cycle between Crossfit, Starting Strength, and some other programs. WillBrink has an article somewhere here about periodization, I suggest you read it. Also read his article "Why your workout sucks." Bodybuilding.com has many programs available, and you can search by goal i.e. muscle building, fat loss, etc.
                    The only time you can have too much ammunition is when you're swimming or on fire

Comment

Originally posted by Danny216 View Post
                      There's no reason you can't cycle between Crossfit, Starting Strength, and some other programs. WillBrink has an article somewhere here about periodization, I suggest you read it. Also read his article "Why your workout sucks." Bodybuilding.com has many programs available, and you can search by goal i.e. muscle building, fat loss, etc.
                      Prollly good avice. The more I think about it, from what you describe, probably anything is better than nothing. When I first started strength training, I didn't really know sh*t about it (and I'm by no means an expert now), but I quickly gained a lot of strength just from doing a program like this http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Bill_Starr_5x5
                      But I quickly realized I couldn't do pullups for sh*t and I sucked at doing anything for more than 10 reps. So I threw crossfit into the mix. I also started to realize how important diet was, and I stopped worrying so much about "losing weight" and worried more about things like how fast can I run a mile, how many pullups can I do, how much weight can I squat. My body composition improved just as a secondary result.
                      So there's some things to look at. Try some of that, along with a decent diet, and you're bound to see results.

Comment

Originally posted by lambda3472 View Post
                        Find an RKC/Russian Kettlebell Certified hard-style instructor in your area. Start kettlebelling and you'll never look back.

Comment

Check out a site like bodybuilding.com or just browse the internet with begining workouts. But I would say a major key is to get into it gradually. If you do something like P90X or "Insanity" or just in general start out too fast you are going to get too sore or hurt to keep doing it. Also, make sure you can do wahtever you set up for 14 days (three weeks... with rest days) with out missing and never, never take more than 2 days off in a row for atleast a couple months or you will have a hard time gwetting back, after that point it will be much more of a habit and you will find yourself wanting to not, making excuses not to.

Comment

Originally posted by JT in MD View Post
                            ............. check Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.
                            Agreed.

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forum.php

Comment

Well, still haven't heard from the OP.
                              Like I stated earlier, I'd be curious about the goals (weight loss, hypertrophy, strength, etc.) that he's interested in before prescribing a workout plan.

But...it's hard to go wrong with SS for a beginner. Like RIP said in the book, the fat will get stronger and leaner, and the skinny will get bigger.

And CHECK YOUR DIET!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12229 users online. 450 members and 11779 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X