300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do you spend?

Since it's crunch time, and I need to be in better shape anyhow, I've been paying a lot more attention to what I eat. Every time I go to the grocery store, my wallet feels like it's on a diet too. It's certainly a lot lighter than it was when I went in. I'm curious what you guys and gals spend, on average, on groceries. I'm not buying the crazy expensive organic stuff or anything. Just simple, healthy food. I pretty much stick to the perimeter of the grocery store. Chicken breast, lean beef, fish, eggs, broccoli, remain lettuce, potatoes, and things like that. Actually, that's pretty close to my exact shopping list. Sadly, with that alone and the few other things that I get, I'm averaging almost 120 dollars a week in groceries! This isn't for a family, this is for me! I eat 6 meals a day and even use protein shakes and that's not included in the price! Any suggestions on ways to save some cash or is it just kind of accepted that a guy my size, eating healthy, is going to burn through this kind of cash in groceries? I'm open to anything you got.
    I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
    - Mark Twain

i send about 110-120 but remember most of the money spend is also for meat
    sigpic

Fist Pumping Like Champs
    GYM TAN LAUNDRY GTL
    Greased Up Italian Dancing Out-of-control

GUIDO

Comment

Go plastic not paper.......
      Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none - William Shakespeare
      Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.- James Mattis
      It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. - Lt. Gen. George S. Patton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cFL80PN3wA&sns=em

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyDiver View Post
        Any suggestions on ways to save some cash or is it just kind of accepted that a guy my size, eating healthy, is going to burn through this kind of cash in groceries? I'm open to anything you got.
        If you have relatives on the space coast I suggest you visit them...best meals ever!

The healthier you want to eat the more it is going to cost you even more so if you are going to be eating more protein by getting different meats, and mixing up the types of fish you eat. Time to start clipping coupons. Or you could take you *** down to the water's edge and catch fish yourself!
        "Inside me is something that is too stupid to quit. I don't know where it comes from or why it is, but it is there and always has been."

Comment

Approximately 600 per month. I eat the Paleo way, I spend my money on true cage free eggs raised on their true diet, I buy grass fed beef, grass fed buffalo, I use grass fed butter, wild caught fish, and if I don't buy the true free range chicken, I will buy organic chicken. That's not including fresh fruit and veggies, along with grass fed beef jerky for snacks.
          Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

My wife and I are using the "Clean Eating" magazine, and I supplement with Protein powders. All together it's about 500 a month. Look into the clean eating magazine it may help a bit as it lays out your meal plan step by step for the week.
            Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
            I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
            Originally posted by weinerdog2000
            as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

I don't spend a lot of money on healthy foods, but I am a value shopper. I wait for good deals and sales, then I stock up. For example, an area grocery store had boneless skinless chicken breasts on sale, so I bought 30 pounds. I also buy oatmeal and brown rice in bulk to save money. For fruits and vegetables, I buy fresh and frozen, depending on the cost. If you add in the cost of supplements, since I drink a protein shake as a meal replacement, I figure, I average $10 a day on food. I admit my diet might be considered bland by some here, but I get the results I desire. So about $300 a month.
              What is Perseverance?
              -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
              -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
              -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Not sure if its worth it for you, but I have a membership at Sam's Club. Pretty much buy all my meat there. They have boxes of Turkey burgers for relatively cheap and bags of boneless, skinless chicken breast. Might be worth looking into.
                For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by jeffIL View Post
                  Not sure if its worth it for you, but I have a membership at Sam's Club. Pretty much buy all my meat there. They have boxes of Turkey burgers for relatively cheap and bags of boneless, skinless chicken breast. Might be worth looking into.
                  Thanks for the input everyone. No Jingle, I don't have family down here and my patience for fishing isn't the greatest. I didn't really think about Sam's Club. I'm not sure if there's one around here. I'll have to check into it. I don't have a drop freezer or anything to store stuff that I buy in bulk but I'm sure I could make it work. A lot of the bill is definitely the meats. I try to mix them up as I don't want to get sick of chicken and I'm not a huge fan of tuna. With me being 225 lbs and trying to get most of my protein from my meals instead of shakes, I tend to go though a lot of meat and eggs. I seem to be about average with everyone I guess. It just seems like a lot of money. I don't know how the hell my mother kept my whole family fed on what she did. Definitely be paying more attention to meat sales and coupons I guess.

Thanks again.
                  I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
                  - Mark Twain

Comment

Mine was $151.73 last night to be exact; frutis, vegs, beef, chicken.....Low Sodium is where Im shooting.

Lasts for a 1-1.5 week

Comment

Try looking into buying bulk - like half a cow! I pay just over $2.00/# for about 240 lbs of angus beef about once a year. A chest freezer from Sam's club keeps it nicely frozen and has plenty of room for other stuff - like 1/4 of a pig.

Comment

If you count soda, soap, paper towls, and food about 120/150 a week.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
                        (")_(")
                        Copy and paste Bunny into your
                        signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

I've noticed that as I stopped eating out and buying my groceries, I'm on a low carb kind of diet and I've been spending about 100 every two weeks. I did invest in the EAS protein powder from sams, (5lb bag 27.99!!) I make sure to drink a protein shake at least once a day and I eat alot of lean meants I don't buy in bulk, but lots of vegetables, and low carb snacks, sugar free as well. I usually shop at walmart and the majority of my protein intake comes from eggs in the morning. they are cheaper if you buy 2-5 dozen at time, Or even if you try buying eggs at a local farmers market, they tend to be cheaper too.

Comment

$200 a week. For two mouths. That is only things like meats, seafood, eggs, lots'o veggies, some fruit, coffee & tea and depending on supplement needs like fish oil & vit d it usually fluctuates between $180-$220. I'm pretty happy about that considering we are eating what we want between the meats and seafood. I'd drop 300 if necessary. When it comes to putting something in my body to fuel me, its gonna be the better quality stuff.

- Hulk
                            "Anyone can beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." - Prefontaine

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyDiver View Post
                              Thanks for the input everyone. No Jingle, I don't have family down here and my patience for fishing isn't the greatest. I didn't really think about Sam's Club. I'm not sure if there's one around here. I'll have to check into it.
                              If you can't find a Sam's, look into Costco.

Costco Locator
                              Brad

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8637 users online. 280 members and 8357 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X