300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marathon training for academy?

For any of you that are in the academy or have gone through an academy would marathon training be a good base before entry? Marathon running is all about pace to the finish, not so much sprint or burst running. Sprints are included in training, mainly for peak and recovery, I'm just wondering if pounding pavement for so many miles is beneficial for academy purposes. I'm certain the running will not hurt in the case. Off days, I do cross training with cycling and or weights. Occasionally, I'll throw in a swim when I can find a pool. I do not have the financial means to pay for crossfit classes or courses, which I hear are essential for the academy. Crossfit.com was recommended. I would like to be somewhat fit prior to the start (I hope) of the academy so PT is not a stress and focus can be spent elsewhere. I have always heard be prepared to run! Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    "... Somewhere Between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace..."

Cut your running back to 12 to 15 miles per week with a little more speed work. Focus on pushups, situps and running. you don't need all that equipment to do crossfit stuff.

I to am a runner. I went through the academy at age 42. Was also one of the top runners in the class! Being old is just a mind set!

Good luck to you!

Woody
    LIVING TO LAUGH

NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT TODAY, NOTHING NEW, IT'S JUST WHAT WE DO

Comment

Originally posted by AV8R View Post
      I do not have the financial means to pay for crossfit classes or courses, which I hear are essential for the academy. Crossfit.com was recommended.
      Thanks.
      Crossfit classes are not essential for the academy! Do you honestly think that every officer on the job took crossfit classes? If you want to go the crossfit route then go to their website like recommended..

Being able to complete a marathon especially in a decent time will make the academy a lot easier for you as endurance will not be an issue. If you are maxing your pushups, situps and run then that is a portion of the academy will be a breeze for you whereas others will struggle in that aspect.

Throw in pullups, burpees, mountain climber type exercises and you should be fine!

Comment

We had a guy in my class that completed 3 marathons DURING the academy. So yeah it won't hurt.
        "Rollin and Patrollin the Wild Wild West of Bham"

Comment

If you've never done that kind of distance, be careful. Putting in lots of miles every week can wear your body down. As you might have read in one of the other threads, I was training for a half marathon recently and strained my calf. I'm really not in terrible shape, but the doctor said it was just the increase in distance. I'm doing physical therapy now, and they say I should be totally fine in time for the academy early next year, but I think the 1/2 marathon is probably out for me.
          Anyway.. I would think training more for the 10K range would be more beneficial for the academy. I'm guessing most academies don't run you more than 6 miles just because of time constraints.
          Crossfit.com is a useful website. You don't necessarily need to pay for a Crossfit gym. A lot of the workouts have pretty self explanatory exercises, and the website has tutorials for most of the exercises. The ones I wouldn't recommend doing without some kind of instruction are the more techincal lifts like snatches, clean and jerk.. etc. Hard to learn without instruction.
          "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Woodrow, thanks for your response. I'm no spring chicken, depending on start date I'll be 38-39.

GrayPatriot, based on pure observation, no, I do not think every officer had taken such a course... Thanks for your response.

adeutch, I've done the distance before several times, although the last time I did was in '06. I've been running for quite some time and have put together a realistic
            26 week training program for race date. It is certainly not a killer schedule and based on input, I plan to incorporate crossfit training, especially max pushups, situps, etc.
            I guess a more realistic question is running in the academy based on speed? If so, then sprints and shorter distance running would be more beneficial. Best of luck on your therapy and the start of your academy... Hopefully, I may be there with you.
            "... Somewhere Between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace..."

Comment

If you've done long distance before and know what you're doing, it probably won't hurt. I'm speaking as a novice distance runner, and I may have just had bad luck.
              As for speed.. we were told that the first week of the academy we would be expected to run 6 mi at a 10 minute pace. So I don't get the feeling it's based on speed, so much as your ability to just keep up with the group. I also got the impression that would be about the farthest we run and most days would be 3-4 mile runs.
              "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8841 users online. 297 members and 8544 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X