300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MSPintern View Post
    Low Bar Squat > ALL, My Buddy an All American Power lifter used to yell and make fun of me if i even attempted to do high bar squats or use a pad. Kid didn't care if I squatted 5lbs or 300 though as long as I did it right. Made me a better lifter and squatter.
    I was thinking last night about how when I first tried squatting, I used the pad because the bar hurt. Then a buddy (no credentials, just a gym rat) took me under his wing and told me he would not be seen associating with anyone who used the pad on squats. So I stopped using it 5 years ago, and now I don't even notice the difference. So I wonder if it would be the same deal w/ low bar squat.. like it might just take a little getting used to and won't be painful.

I messed around a little last night with low bar just using 135 lbs to see how it felt. I do think I was getting a little lower, smoother... of course that could have just been the weight.
    "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

If you have flexibility, wrist, or shoulder problems this bar is a good choice:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...cid=114&pid=10
      Last edited by JSD73; 09-16-2010, 06:21 AM.
      Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

I quit using a bar pad. Those things are dangerous. Once they get out of round, they can slip, roll, and rotate, and it's dangerous as hell to have the weight suddenly shift around like that, especially when you're lifting heavy. I've been using the Manta Ray for about two months now, and I absolutely love it. It keeps the bar exactly where it's supposed to be. Maybe I'm not as hardcore or cool enough to just use the bare bar, but the Manta Ray keeps the weight where it's supposed to be, and it's saved my back and knees.
        Sure, that badge will get you midgets, but those midgets will get that badge!

The more I learn about people, the more I prefer the company of my dogs.

Comment

The safety squat bar is NOT a pad, it is an entire bar designed for stability and is a great training device. Considering the hands placement, it's a great design for wrist problems or shoulder inflexibility.
          Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Originally posted by JSD73 View Post
            If you have flexibility, wrist, or shoulder problems this bar is a good choice:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...cid=114&pid=10
            Oh yeah.. I saw something like that once in this really old school gym in town.
            "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by BCSD Frank View Post
              I quit using a bar pad. Those things are dangerous. Once they get out of round, they can slip, roll, and rotate, and it's dangerous as hell to have the weight suddenly shift around like that, especially when you're lifting heavy. I've been using the Manta Ray for about two months now, and I absolutely love it. It keeps the bar exactly where it's supposed to be. Maybe I'm not as hardcore or cool enough to just use the bare bar, but the Manta Ray keeps the weight where it's supposed to be, and it's saved my back and knees.
              Never tried the Manta Ray. I could see where it would be helpful to keep the bar in place.

Comment

I was apprehensive, when I bought it, but the foam rubber pads were doing exactly what I described: They were shifting around, rolling, and they weren't providing much in the way of padding anyway, once they went flat on one side. The Manta Ray doesn't slide side to side, doesn't roll, and positions the bar exactly where it's supposed to be. It easily snaps on and off of the bar, when you want to use the bar for something else like bench press, etc.

I work out at home, by myself, so I have an adjustable rack that has spotters built in, and I can adjust the rack points and spotter bars lower, for when I'm doing squats, and adjust them differently for when I'm doing bench press or shoulder press. It allows me to go to complete muscle failure without fear of becoming trapped under the weights, when I hit full-on muscle failure.

Comment

Sounds like a nice set up for a home gym. You're lucky I don't live around there or you might catch me sneakin' in for some exercise.

Comment

Right on, man... My bench has several positions that allow me to use it as a chair, when doing shoulder press, inclines for incline press, and declines for decline press. I've got a Bowflex, but the only thing I use it for is seated rows, and I'm maxing it out. It only goes to 210 lbs. Pffft.... I've got a lat pulldown and triceps pushdown station, a French curl bar, and a bunch of dumbbells and a mess of free weights. It's all pretty basic, but it serves my purposes. The only thing I lack, is a dip station, but hopefully soon, I can remedy that.

Comment

You know if you had the right pull up bar set up, you could hang gymnastics rings from the bar for ring dips, and you could do pullups too as well as ring pushups and muscle ups. This is just what I've seen most of the Crossfit gyms do. None of them have dip bars. They just hang rings from the pullup bars. But you would definitely need the right kind of pullup station.. it would have to be a classic playground style straight metal bar. I don't think you could use one of those portable ones you put in the door frame.

Comment

Well, I keep looking at my squat rack, because I'm convinced that I could set the spotter bars high enough, and then lay two bars across them, and make it an improvised dip station. I just have to buy the steel and fab it up.

Comment

Oh yeah.. that might be perfect if you can find a way to hold the bars in place while you're dipping and still be able to have them out of the way when you're squatting. I think I've seen some websites where people post their own custom gym equipment. Maybe you could get some ideas from one of them.

Comment

Thanks! I'll hunt around. I've already got a good idea of what I want to build and how I want it to look. Basically, it will lay perpendicular across the spotter bars on the squat rack, and it will have stops at each end, so that the bars don't slide out from the center position. I'll have to do some measuring, but when I'm done, the whole thing will be able to be lifted off and leaned up against a wall, except for when I need it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3994 users online. 195 members and 3799 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X