300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Functional Range Day

Not sure if this should go in the training section or fitness section, but...

For training that improves both the ability to shoot under physical stress and General Physical Preparedness (GPP)/conditioning, I will have what I call a functional range day. The functional range day, combines functional whole body exercises - using easy to find and transport implements - combined with shooting.

I tend to use a level of resistance that's more toward conditioning* but if I were to stack 3-4 45lb plates, or rocks, or chains, etc onto the sled, use the 120+lb sand bag I have, etc, the intensity levels go up real fast.

Anyone who has added a physical stress modifier to their shooting knows how fast shooting accuracy suffers, unless it's something you practice, and have the strength and or conditioning for it. If you have not done something like it before, it's harder then it looks.

This vid covers a simple Functional Range day I did recently. It's in 5 cycles. One can just do each of them once, and see how it goes, or up to 3 times each, and see how that effects your shooting. Obviously, it will depend on what condition you are in to start with, etc.

It's not intended as PT per se, but obviously that will be the result of such training, ergo, an improvement in GPP, endurance, and strength (as well as shooting proficiency under stress!) depending on the condition you are in already, intensity/loading used, etc.

It's simple and easy to set up, and the variations, virtually endless. I try and do this type of training 1-2 per month if I can, more often if possible.

I'm not a shooting instructor (and my shooting reflects that!), so I make no specific recs there per se. On that range, I was shooting at steel upper torso shape target about half real person size at 20-10 yards aiming for center mass/upper chest.

If one wants to track groupings, etc, paper targets, smaller steal plates, etc can also be used. Here's a recent Functional Range Day:

Functional Range Day Vid

That's an example of a personal functional range day for me. What's yours look like?

* = (as the heavy stuff tends to get done in the gym, but some times I will load the sled up, or bring the big heavy *** bag, etc)
    Last edited by WillBrink; 09-06-2010, 05:01 AM.
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

good vid will, i know its challenging normally but u should try those drills in the louisiana heat!!!
    The greatest injustice is using the law to keep justice at bay.

Comment

Originally posted by Addicted2Iron View Post
      good vid will, i know its challenging normally but u should try those drills in the louisiana heat!!!
      There's always a way to make things suck even more. Try it on a winter day here in New England.
      - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

man, all my fam is from chicago so i know what cold winters are like. i would gladly trade in winters in the teens for summers in the 100's. this summer we had 3 straight weeks where it was over 100 (before the heat index) every day. it was miserable....we usually dont do much training during july/aug
        The greatest injustice is using the law to keep justice at bay.

Comment

Originally posted by Addicted2Iron View Post
          man, all my fam is from chicago so i know what cold winters are like. i would gladly trade in winters in the teens for summers in the 100's. this summer we had 3 straight weeks where it was over 100 (before the heat index) every day. it was miserable....we usually dont do much training during july/aug
          Actually, I'm sure it was hotter there, but we had hottest summer on record, like 3 weeks of 90s. Hit 104 where I live one day. I was not enjoying it I have to say, but being cold really gets old fast too.
          - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by OperatorEX
            I like the idea of adding the physical stresser, we do the same. Sprints, burpies, pushups in heavy gear are common before shooting. However, I would suggest shooting at a bit closer distance or at least adding it in addition to the longer distance more precision shooting. The physical stuff is simulating getting to and staying in the fight so I can see benefit in getting the distance a bit closer and doing some CQB type stuff. Multiple target engagements, a reload etc. Really get the gun going. The statistics always point to closer engagements for us LE folk.
            I prefer CQB distances, but shooting at steel from such distances is frowned on by the range there. Personally, I don't mind the occasional shard hitting me. If doing all that where there's paper targets set up, will do mostly 7 yards and under, etc.
            - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Once again Will, good stuff. Great website too.
              Went to Get a Cold Pop

Comment

Originally posted by ShantyIrish View Post
                Once again Will, good stuff. Great website too.
                Thanx. I hope those who have not tried something like that, give it a go. If anyone in my area wants to do it at their range, etc, feel free to PM.
                - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Good stuff. I saved this video and I'm going to show it to some people and see if I can get some functional training started up again. We've done this in the past as an agency, but not as cool. We mostly only did live fire after running sprints in gear but it was amazing what shorts sprints would to to accuracy. I can't imagine what would happen if we did sandbag presses and sled pulls, but with some of our people I'm afraid the ever feared "officer down" may have found it's way over the air.

Comment

Originally posted by SOI View Post
                    Good stuff. I saved this video and I'm going to show it to some people and see if I can get some functional training started up again. We've done this in the past as an agency, but not as cool. We mostly only did live fire after running sprints in gear but it was amazing what shorts sprints would to to accuracy. I can't imagine what would happen if we did sandbag presses and sled pulls, but with some of our people I'm afraid the ever feared "officer down" may have found it's way over the air.
                    Glad you enjoyed it. Those are some of the simpler, easy to set up., stress shooting ideas I use when at the range. If you are interested in a specific program for LE to follow, consider my Practical Applied Stress Training (P.A.S.T) program which covers simple + cheap ways of incorporating such training to more complex training. There's vids at my site with full team training BTW, but it's easy enough to usae a few simple tools like the sandbag and drag sleds, or even stuff you can get from Home Depot, the DPW, etc. See my web site below (sig line) for more info, or on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Appl...4648747&sr=1-2

Next time I do a vid like that for myself, I'm going to ramp up intensity (more weight on the sled, larger sand bag, etc) and use CQB distances. Have to do that on paper as digging metal shards out of my skin gets old real fast....
                    - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10170 users online. 371 members and 9799 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X