Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get it from the library. You can do cardio, but too much might be counter-productive if you're trying to gain mass. Increasing the weight each time was a big part of the program but eventually you'll plateau, and won't be able to add weight at every workout. At that point, you can repeat the same weight of the last workout striving to do more reps (and when you can complete the set, then increase the weight) or switch up your workout for a while. Periodization is important in any exercise program. Google it if you are unfamiliar and read Will Brink's article "Why your workout sucks".

Here's an article about the S.S. workout to help get you started.
    The only time you can have too much ammunition is when you're swimming or on fire

Comment

I'll also recomment "Starting Strength"

I also just sort of skimmed the responses, but you WILL NOT bulk up without a good DIET!

DIET!

DIET!

DIET!

Search previous threads for the diet tips.
      Last edited by Item9; 08-27-2010, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Item9 View Post
        I'll also recomment "Starting Strength"

I also just sort of skimmed the responses, but you WILL NOT bulk up without a good DIET!

DIET!

DIET!

DIET!

Search previous threads for the diet tips.

+2 On the Starting Strength. Here is a list of google searches for you:

- Mark Rippetoe
        - Dave Tate
        - Louie Simmons
        - Westside Barbell (will come up under Louie Simmons)
        - Greyskull S&C
        - Wannabebig.com
        - Wendler 5-3-1

Lots of good info on google, only problem is that there is TOO much **** information. The ones I listed are all quality information.

- Hulk
        "Anyone can beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." - Prefontaine

Comment

Originally posted by TheHulk0316 View Post
          +2 On the Starting Strength. Here is a list of google searches for you:

- Mark Rippetoe
          - Dave Tate
          - Louie Simmons
          - Westside Barbell (will come up under Louie Simmons)
          - Greyskull S&C
          - Wannabebig.com
          - Wendler 5-3-1

Lots of good info on google, only problem is that there is TOO much **** information. The ones I listed are all quality information.

- Hulk
          A Crossfit gym by me started a "Strictly Strength" program. I'm really tempted to do it. I fully believe in that type of lifting. I go to 24hour Fitness sometimes and see some really stout looking fellas in there lifting some decent weight on Squats and Deads, but then I see the Crossfit coaches who weigh probably 80 lbs less and lift just the same amount, but can also run a decent 10K and rep out muscle ups like no one's business. It's just a different kind of training.

So to the OP, you can waste years messing around on weight machines and doing dumbbell curls and tricep pulldowns, or you can start learning methodologies of the experts listed above and be amazed at what you can do. It's a lot to learn, and I'm not very far along myself, but I think it's worth it.
          "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by adeutch View Post
            A Crossfit gym by me started a "Strictly Strength" program. I'm really tempted to do it. I fully believe in that type of lifting. I go to 24hour Fitness sometimes and see some really stout looking fellas in there lifting some decent weight on Squats and Deads, but then I see the Crossfit coaches who weigh probably 80 lbs less and lift just the same amount, but can also run a decent 10K and rep out muscle ups like no one's business. It's just a different kind of training.

So to the OP, you can waste years messing around on weight machines and doing dumbbell curls and tricep pulldowns, or you can start learning methodologies of the experts listed above and be amazed at what you can do. It's a lot to learn, and I'm not very far along myself, but I think it's worth it.

A big misconception out there is that body mass and/or total bodyweight determines how much you will be able to lift. While someone with more muscle has the potentital to lift heavier its not necessarily the case that he will. A great example is Chris Spealer, 140lbs soaking wet and the guy pulls somewhere around 380-395lbs deadlifts. I weigh 175lbs and I pull 425...by comparison I should be pulling much more.

- Hulk
            "Anyone can beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." - Prefontaine

Comment

Originally posted by TheHulk0316 View Post
              A big misconception out there is that body mass and/or total bodyweight determines how much you will be able to lift. While someone with more muscle has the potentital to lift heavier its not necessarily the case that he will. A great example is Chris Spealer, 140lbs soaking wet and the guy pulls somewhere around 380-395lbs deadlifts. I weigh 175lbs and I pull 425...by comparison I should be pulling much more.

- Hulk
              Haha.. I weigh 205 and my PR is 375.. I got a long ways to go.
              But yeah, it's been an eye opener. True, a lot of big guys can lift some big weight, but it's incredible to see what people can do with good form/technique.

I've seen a guy a couple times recently doing 400+ lb squats but not even coming down close to parallel. And he has some pretty formidable legs, but I'm just thinkin' why not take 100 lbs of the bar (still not sissy weight) and get the full benefit of some real squats.
              "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6503 users online. 370 members and 6133 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X