Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lifting Routine

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lifting Routine

    I am just curious if anybody has any good lifting routines or knows where to get one online for free ( a lot of places wish to charge). When I was in High School I did something called the "Adams Course" during the summer and an ex-olympian who owned a gym in my hometown (his name was Oscar, don't remember last name **edit** Oskar Jakobsson), and he gave us all a binder and on the first day we set our maxes on all exercises we were doing. The rest of the workouts were very specific (i.e. 4 sets of 10 reps @ 85% of max) and it was that way for all exercises. There was no guess work on what exercise to do it was all outline in black and white. This was strictly a summer course and I was 4'11" about 89 lbs when I started, my max on bench was just the bar by the time I was done my max was doubled. I am still not exactly a large person 5'7"-5'8"(depends on which convenience store I am robbing, although the local subway says I am about 6'1") about 150lbs. I haven't maxed in forever but I work out (bench) with about 95 and I really want to get that up. I start the academy in January and wish I could afford cross-fit but cannot. I can do push ups, pulls ups, crunches and cardio like a beast but want to add bulk. I thank any and all in advance. I also apologize for the scatter brain-ness (if that's a word) of the post, I am at work on a Sunday...and it sucks (I work for a national electronics chain that is failing).
    Last edited by BaylorBearSW; 08-22-2010, 11:22 AM. Reason: found his name
    "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

    "Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
    -Sun Tzu

  • #2
    My first advice, since you say that you start the academy in January is to find out what their standards and testing will be. MOST academies do a run, pushups and situps and others test on a few other things. You really should train to prepare for and excel at the testing while at the academy. AFTER the academy, I would suggest a different route, but in the meantime, you probably dont want to necessarily focus on lifting weights via bodybuilding style program, when that will not really assist you at the academy. I know you said that you can do pushups, situps and run like a beast and WANT to add bulk...but Im not sure why (at this point).

    Before I went to the academy, I did nothing but focus on the run, pushups and situps. I wanted the testing and everyday work to be easy. I knew that once I was done with it, I could change back to my normal routine or whatever style of training I wanted.

    If you really want to try Crossfit, there is no need to wish you could afford it. Just go to their website and do the workout of the day. Change or scale it as needed based on your level and equipment available.

    However, if after all this, you want to add some muscle mass/follow a bodybuilding routine, there are plenty of programs that can be found for free on the internet.



    Here is just one example, but plenty can be found.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jeff1.htm

    Lastly, if you want to add size, remember that you HAVE to eat like a beast and not just train like one.
    www.ShankAZombie.com

    Comment


    • #3
      The main reason I want to build bulk is my body size, my wife gets confused for my mom when we go out in public because I look like I am about 14 years old, I am 23. Like I said I can do push ups forever and it's probably because of my body size, I can run forever too, I really just want to gain just a little muscle for now, not really bulk up, just sorta fill out, and then like you said after the academy start to truly bulk up.
      "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

      "Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
      -Sun Tzu

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BaylorBearSW View Post
        The main reason I want to build bulk is my body size, my wife gets confused for my mom when we go out in public because I look like I am about 14 years old, I am 23. Like I said I can do push ups forever and it's probably because of my body size, I can run forever too, I really just want to gain just a little muscle for now, not really bulk up, just sorta fill out, and then like you said after the academy start to truly bulk up.
        Hooo boy did you marry a cougar?

        I recommend the book "Starting Strength." You'll see tons of recommendations for it on here. I've started using it (as best I can, I spend a lot of time in hotels without barbells), and I've gained 10+ lbs and cut fat. My fiancee said she can notice I'm "gaining size and toning up." So I'm keeping at it.

        Good luck!
        "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

        Comment


        • #5
          Pfft. we are the same age, my wife and I. Have another random question. If I were to just run and do push ups and sit ups what sort of routine do you recommend. I run around my block which I have measured as a mile (runkeeper iphone app), but don't really do push ups or sit ups as part of my run routine. I wish there was a public track in my area with a field in the middle so I could do some sort of sprints and stuff but anyways again any suggestions to that?
          "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

          "Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
          -Sun Tzu

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by FlyChicaga View Post
            Hooo boy did you marry a cougar?

            I recommend the book "Starting Strength." You'll see tons of recommendations for it on here. I've started using it (as best I can, I spend a lot of time in hotels without barbells), and I've gained 10+ lbs and cut fat. My fiancee said she can notice I'm "gaining size and toning up." So I'm keeping at it.

            Good luck!
            yes. starting strength.

            i did 3 months on it and gained 33 lbs of bw and added 85lbs to my 5rm for squats

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BaylorBearSW View Post
              I am just curious if anybody has any good lifting routines or knows where to get one online for free ( a lot of places wish to charge). When I was in High School I did something called the "Adams Course" during the summer and an ex-olympian who owned a gym in my hometown (his name was Oscar, don't remember last name **edit** Oskar Jakobsson), and he gave us all a binder and on the first day we set our maxes on all exercises we were doing. The rest of the workouts were very specific (i.e. 4 sets of 10 reps @ 85% of max) and it was that way for all exercises. There was no guess work on what exercise to do it was all outline in black and white. This was strictly a summer course and I was 4'11" about 89 lbs when I started, my max on bench was just the bar by the time I was done my max was doubled. I am still not exactly a large person 5'7"-5'8"(depends on which convenience store I am robbing, although the local subway says I am about 6'1") about 150lbs. I haven't maxed in forever but I work out (bench) with about 95 and I really want to get that up. I start the academy in January and wish I could afford cross-fit but cannot. I can do push ups, pulls ups, crunches and cardio like a beast but want to add bulk. I thank any and all in advance. I also apologize for the scatter brain-ness (if that's a word) of the post, I am at work on a Sunday...and it sucks (I work for a national electronics chain that is failing).

              If you want to pm me an email address i can send you 4 routines that my personal trainer emailed me when I started working out.

              Comment


              • #8
                +1 on the Starting Strength recommendations. I cycle the SS workout into my routine every couple of months. I added 50lbs to my max bench after two cycles of it (each cycle 4-6 weeks long).

                The workout is simple
                Workout 1
                Squat
                Bench Press
                Deadlift

                Rest Day

                Workout 2
                Squat
                Press
                Power Clean

                Lift 3 days a week, alternating each workout, with a rest day in between. (example M,W,F or T,Th,Sat)

                Get the book so you can figure out the % of 1 rep max you should be using for each set. Maybe someone who has the book can email you the specifics.

                I do 5x5 training on all these exercises now, with plenty of warm-up sets. (I am not recommending you do 5x5, do what the book tells you to do) The book has you start off with a few warm-up sets, and then I think 3-work sets, but I don't remember the number. I just started doing 5x5 for all of it because after several cycles I needed to up the volume. Get the book, read it, and follow it exactly. It helps build functional strength (not just 'gym strength', and will add mass when followed as directed)
                Last edited by Danny216; 08-25-2010, 10:34 AM.
                The only time you can have too much ammunition is when you're swimming or on fire

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Danny216 View Post
                  Get the book so you can figure out the % of 1 rep max you should be using for each set. Maybe someone who has the book can email you the specifics.
                  its not based off a 1rm %, you just add 2.5-10 lbs per workout depending on the lift

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Dr. Peebody View Post
                    its not based off a 1rm %, you just add 2.5-10 lbs per workout depending on the lift
                    True, but I wasn't referring to what you add each week, but rather what you should start with for work sets. I thought there was a formula in the book for what your work sets should be based off off 1rm. (I could be wrong... I'm home now and will look for the book)
                    The only time you can have too much ammunition is when you're swimming or on fire

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I was in the same boat as you in regards to preparing for the academy. I started training in college when I was 5' 9" 144 and by the time I finished I was at 164 at 10% body fat. I have tried dozens of routines but the one I have listed below is by far the best. It is difficult but will definitely enable you to build mass while also maintaining decent cardio numbers. I am entering my academy in 3 weeks and have since added a few things to the list but the core exercies remain the same. If you have any questions about the routine just pm me. PS I am 22 so I am relatively close in age to you.

                      Day 1: Upper Body
                      • Incline Bench Press: 3 sets of 5 reps
                      • Bent Over Barbell Rows: 3 sets of 8 reps
                      • Dumbbell Bench Press: 3 sets of 8 reps
                      • Lat Pulldowns: 2 sets of 10-12 reps
                      • Close-Grip Pulldowns: 2 sets of 10-12 reps
                      • Underhand Pulldowns: 2 sets of 10-12 reps
                      • Seated Dumbbell Press: 3 sets of 8 reps
                      • Upright Barbell Rows: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
                      • Barbell Curls: 3 sets of 8 reps
                      • Machine Dips: 3 sets of 10 reps
                      • Alternating Dumbbell Curls: 2 sets of 12 reps
                      • V-Bar Pushdowns: 2 sets of 10 reps 12 re
                      •
                      Day 2: Lower Body
                      • Barbell Squats: 3 sets of 5 reps
                      • Barbell Squats: 3 sets of 1 rep (5-10 second pause at bottom)
                      • Leg Press: 3 sets of 12 reps
                      • Dumbbell Lunges: 3 sets of 20 reps
                      • Leg Extensions: 3 sets of 20 reps
                      • Standing Calf Raises: 4 sets of 20 reps
                      • Seated Calf Raises: 4 sets of 20 reps
                      • Calf Press On The Leg Press Machine
                      •
                      Day 3: Cardio (30-45 minutes)/ Relax

                      Day 4: Chest and Back
                      • Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 sets of 6-8 reps
                      • Underhand Barbell Rows: 3 sets of 12 reps
                      • Machine Bench Press: 3 sets of 12-15 reps
                      • Lat Pulldowns: 3 sets of 12 reps
                      • Close-Grip Pulldowns: 3 sets of 12 reps
                      • Underhand Pulldowns: 3 sets of 12 reps
                      • Decline Bench Press: 3 sets of 12-15 reps
                      • One-Arm Dumbbell Rows: 3 sets of 10 reps
                      • Incline Bench Press: 3 sets of 12-15 reps
                      • Seated Cable Rows: 3 sets of 12-15 reps
                      • Cable Flyes: 2 sets of 15 reps
                      • Barbell Pullovers: 2 sets of 15 reps


                      Day 5: Deadlifts, Calves and Arms
                      • Deadlift: 4 sets of 3-5 reps
                      • Standing Calf Raises: 4 sets of 20 reps
                      • Seated Calf Raises: 4 sets of 20 reps
                      • Calf Press On The Leg Press Machine
                      • Barbell Curls: 3 sets of 12 reps
                      • Dip Machine: 3 sets of 8 reps
                      • Incline Dumbbell Curls: 3 sets of 10 reps
                      • V-Bar Pushdowns: 3 sets of 12 reps
                      • Machine Preacher Curls: 3 sets of 15 reps
                      • Dumbbell Kickbacks: 3
                      •
                      Day 6: Shoulders and Abs
                      • Seated Dumbbell Press: 4 sets of 8 reps
                      • Side Lateral Raises: 3 drop sets
                      • Military Press: 3 sets of 12-15 reps
                      • One-Arm Lateral Raises: 3 sets of 12-15 reps
                      • Rear Delt Raises: 3 sets of 15 reps
                      • Reverse Flyes: 3 sets
                      • Machine Crunches: 5 sets of 20 reps
                      • Hanging Leg Raises: 5 sets oo
                      •
                      Day 7: Cardio (30-45 minutes)/ Relax

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by markhydock View Post
                        I was in the same boat as you in regards to preparing for the academy. I started training in college when I was 5' 9" 144 and by the time I finished I was at 164 at 10% body fat. I have tried dozens of routines but the one I have listed below is by far the best. It is difficult but will definitely enable you to build mass while also maintaining decent cardio numbers. I am entering my academy in 3 weeks and have since added a few things to the list but the core exercies remain the same. If you have any questions about the routine just pm me. PS I am 22 so I am relatively close in age to you.

                        Day 1: Upper Body
                        • Incline Bench Press: 3 sets of 5 reps
                        • Bent Over Barbell Rows: 3 sets of 8 reps
                        • Dumbbell Bench Press: 3 sets of 8 reps
                        • Lat Pulldowns: 2 sets of 10-12 reps
                        • Close-Grip Pulldowns: 2 sets of 10-12 reps
                        • Underhand Pulldowns: 2 sets of 10-12 reps
                        • Seated Dumbbell Press: 3 sets of 8 reps
                        • Upright Barbell Rows: 3 sets of 10-12 reps
                        • Barbell Curls: 3 sets of 8 reps
                        • Machine Dips: 3 sets of 10 reps
                        • Alternating Dumbbell Curls: 2 sets of 12 reps
                        • V-Bar Pushdowns: 2 sets of 10 reps 12 re
                        •
                        Day 2: Lower Body
                        • Barbell Squats: 3 sets of 5 reps
                        • Barbell Squats: 3 sets of 1 rep (5-10 second pause at bottom)
                        • Leg Press: 3 sets of 12 reps
                        • Dumbbell Lunges: 3 sets of 20 reps
                        • Leg Extensions: 3 sets of 20 reps
                        • Standing Calf Raises: 4 sets of 20 reps
                        • Seated Calf Raises: 4 sets of 20 reps
                        • Calf Press On The Leg Press Machine
                        •
                        Day 3: Cardio (30-45 minutes)/ Relax

                        Day 4: Chest and Back
                        • Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 sets of 6-8 reps
                        • Underhand Barbell Rows: 3 sets of 12 reps
                        • Machine Bench Press: 3 sets of 12-15 reps
                        • Lat Pulldowns: 3 sets of 12 reps
                        • Close-Grip Pulldowns: 3 sets of 12 reps
                        • Underhand Pulldowns: 3 sets of 12 reps
                        • Decline Bench Press: 3 sets of 12-15 reps
                        • One-Arm Dumbbell Rows: 3 sets of 10 reps
                        • Incline Bench Press: 3 sets of 12-15 reps
                        • Seated Cable Rows: 3 sets of 12-15 reps
                        • Cable Flyes: 2 sets of 15 reps
                        • Barbell Pullovers: 2 sets of 15 reps


                        Day 5: Deadlifts, Calves and Arms
                        • Deadlift: 4 sets of 3-5 reps
                        • Standing Calf Raises: 4 sets of 20 reps
                        • Seated Calf Raises: 4 sets of 20 reps
                        • Calf Press On The Leg Press Machine
                        • Barbell Curls: 3 sets of 12 reps
                        • Dip Machine: 3 sets of 8 reps
                        • Incline Dumbbell Curls: 3 sets of 10 reps
                        • V-Bar Pushdowns: 3 sets of 12 reps
                        • Machine Preacher Curls: 3 sets of 15 reps
                        • Dumbbell Kickbacks: 3
                        •
                        Day 6: Shoulders and Abs
                        • Seated Dumbbell Press: 4 sets of 8 reps
                        • Side Lateral Raises: 3 drop sets
                        • Military Press: 3 sets of 12-15 reps
                        • One-Arm Lateral Raises: 3 sets of 12-15 reps
                        • Rear Delt Raises: 3 sets of 15 reps
                        • Reverse Flyes: 3 sets
                        • Machine Crunches: 5 sets of 20 reps
                        • Hanging Leg Raises: 5 sets oo
                        •
                        Day 7: Cardio (30-45 minutes)/ Relax
                        That looks like a program sure to cause overtraining within a matter of weeks. Just my 2 cents.
                        Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Danny216 View Post
                          +1 on the Starting Strength recommendations. I cycle the SS workout into my routine every couple of months. I added 50lbs to my max bench after two cycles of it (each cycle 4-6 weeks long).

                          The workout is simple
                          Workout 1
                          Squat
                          Bench Press
                          Deadlift

                          Rest Day

                          Workout 2
                          Squat
                          Press
                          Power Clean

                          Lift 3 days a week, alternating each workout, with a rest day in between. (example M,W,F or T,Th,Sat)

                          Get the book so you can figure out the % of 1 rep max you should be using for each set. Maybe someone who has the book can email you the specifics.

                          I do 5x5 training on all these exercises now, with plenty of warm-up sets. (I am not recommending you do 5x5, do what the book tells you to do) The book has you start off with a few warm-up sets, and then I think 3-work sets, but I don't remember the number. I just started doing 5x5 for all of it because after several cycles I needed to up the volume. Get the book, read it, and follow it exactly. It helps build functional strength (not just 'gym strength', and will add mass when followed as directed)
                          I put on 10 lbs pretty quickly with a program like this one. I found mine here. http://stronglifts.com/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            People don't understand it, they think they need all the exotic isolation exercises to gain size. It's been said over and over again the basics will give you the size you want. Eat big, lift big and abbreviated, rest and repeat. It really isn't rocket science.
                            Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I did some research on Starting Strength and it sounds like the best deal, fits in my schedule a little better (i.e. not spending hours in the gym). I have not purchased the book, but can/do you do cardio with it as well or no? I also found an excel spreadsheet somebody had posted online and it's pretty good but they have it edited so that with each workout you add 5 pounds to your lift (i.e. Monday you do 100, Friday you do 105, and Wednesday you do 110 and so on). Not sure if this is part of the workout but from what has been posted here it's too big of a gain at a time. I am unsure if I should try to do the workout without purchasing the book (would be able to start it sooner as nobody has the book in my area), or wait and get the book and go from there.
                              "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

                              "Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
                              -Sun Tzu

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 12015 users online. 432 members and 11583 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X